Cage for indoor bantam chicken

PrettyChicky25

Chirping
Feb 6, 2023
Hello, I have one bantam chicken that lives indoors with me. She has been staying in a pet tent but I wanted to get her something bigger. I found a website that has these cages you can put together and I was about to buy one, but wanted to run it by the people on this forum because you give really good advice!

I was thinking about getting the 3x3 white rabbit cage: https://kaveecage.net/products/c-and-c-cage-white-rabbit-usa-3x3?variant=44992211124394

I have parrots though and a dove and usually you wouldn't buy a cage that a bird could stick its head through. Has anyone kept a chicken in a cage like the one above or would that be a no go because of the bar spacing? She wouldn't be in this all day, just when I'm not home.

Thanks for any advice!

Not bad, but you'd be better off getting a dog kennel or building one. $190 is pretty high for that, there's not much to it
Any particular reason she lives inside? Special needs?
All the dog kennels I saw were either too small or too big. She has a small one for travel though. I wouldn't leave her in there. She's a fiesty bird and needs to be able to move around . My other three birds have these really nice white Kings Cages and she's in this pet tent I found on Amazon. I have been trying to find her something better, something that is about 3' x3' that looks nice and is more open than a zip up tent.

I found her outside this past January, sick with a fractured leg. I healed her up and now she lives inside with me. No one wanted her when she was sick and there is no way I'd give her up now. I love this bird more than anything! ❤️

All the dog kennels I saw were either too small or too big. She has a small one for travel though. I wouldn't leave her in there. She's a fiesty bird and needs to be able to move around . My other three birds have these really nice white Kings Cages and she's in this pet tent I found on Amazon. I have been trying to find her something better, something that is about 3' x3' that looks nice and is more open than a zip up tent.

I found her outside this past January, sick with a fractured leg. I healed her up and now she lives inside with me. No one wanted her when she was sick and there is no way I'd give her up now. I love this bird more than anything! ❤️
Good for you helping her out.
However, chickens need [both mentally and physically] other chickens to be with, atleast two, and to be outside doing chicken things.
Is there a possibility of getting her friends and a nice little coop outside or are you in an apartment?

Good for you helping her out.
However, chickens need [both mentally and physically] other chickens to be with, atleast two, and to be outside doing chicken things.
Is there a possibility of getting her friends and a nice little coop outside or are you in an apartment?
She's got two parrots and a dove that she is friends with. They hang out. I work from home so she can hang out with me too all day. I do get her outside but live in a condo. I've been looking at houses but this is the best I can do for now.

As long as the spacing is large enough to stick her head through and retract it easily, I don’t see a problem re: bar spacing - but larger than 3x3 would be better as it allows room for toys etc…
Since you posted over 2 months ago, what did you end up getting?

WabbitatI'm late to this party but I use a guinea pig cage(2x4) for my chicks, and my recent random chicken that turned up is a bantam OEGB(attacked by dogs). She fit perfect in there and you can buy additional add on hitch boxes that fit with the cage. I think this is the one I have. Midwest Homes for Pets Deluxe Rabbit & Guinea Pig Cage (not sure about linking things yet!). The pic ia when i first set her up and i dont have the ass on box.
20231211_104905.jpg

Back
Top Bottom