Indoor Buff Orpington cage?

timthegreatruler

Hatching
Nov 18, 2023
Can I keep one Buff Orpington hen inside this extra-large rabbit cage inside my bedroom?

And will Carefresh bedding help eliminate the cecal poop smell better than wood shavings?

My hen will remain in the cage while I am at school, but when I’m home she will wear a chicken diaper from www.avianfashions.com so that she can have out of cage time.

5318502_alt2.jpg

That is way too small for a BO. And she NEEDS the companionship of other chickens. They should be kept outdoors with access to the ground for instinctive scratching, dustbathing and foraging.
If you want an indoor bird, consider a parakeet or maybe even a quail. Place their needs far above your desires please.

Can I keep one Buff Orpington hen inside this extra-large rabbit cage inside my bedroom?

And will Carefresh bedding help eliminate the cecal poop smell better than wood shavings?

My hen will remain in the cage while I am at school, but when I’m home she will wear a chicken diaper from www.avianfashions.com so that she can have out of cage time.

View attachment 3686178

I think the cage is big enough for one hen.

But I think there would be other problems with keeping a hen the way you describe.
--Chickens make a lot of dust, and also tend to scratch in wood shavings which throws them out of the cage and makes a mess. This is usually a bad thing to have in a human house, especially in a bedroom. The Carefresh bedding would be just as bad as wood shavings for being thrown around.

--Chickens do much better if they live in a flock, not alone. So if you want any chickens, I would suggest having at least 3 chickens (which would be too crowded in that cage, plus they would make more dust and mess and smells than just one chicken.)

If you want to have the chicken in the house wearing a diaper when you are home from school, that could be fine. But I would suggest having several chickens that live outdoors most of the time (in a coop and run, bigger than that cage). Then bring one inside to socialize when you are home from school.

Last edited:
That is way too small for a BO.
How is it too small? Did you read the dimensions on the image?

I see dimensions of 32 inches wide by 57 inches long (more than 2.5 feet by 4.5 feet), so it has more than 10 square feet of floor space. According to most estimates, that is large enough for a run for one chicken.

The height is 30 inches (two and a half feet), which is also tall enough for a chicken.

I would probably take out the shelf part, but the cage itself IS big enough for one chicken. (Many cages of that style are too small, but this one seems to be an exception. That is probably why it has wheels on the bottom: because it really is too big to carry around easily.)

And she NEEDS the companionship of other chickens. They should be kept outdoors with access to the ground for instinctive scratching, dustbathing and foraging.
If you want an indoor bird, consider a parakeet or maybe even a quail. Place their needs far above your desires please.

I agree with all of these points. Keeping a single chicken in a cage in the house is usually not a good idea, for the chicken or the people.

Yes, I read the dimensions. I stand by my stated opinion.

The height is 30 inches (two and a half feet), which is also tall enough for a chicken.
This. How is she going to stand tall and flap her wings in there? I've watched every single one of my birds do this multiple times a day. That is what I was referring to.

And the entire concept of keeping a solitary chicken alone in a bedroom all day is just not right IMO.

I honestly don't care about the human inconveniences it would cause. That is their choice. The chicken has no choice.

Yes, I read the dimensions. I stand by my stated opinion.

This. How is she going to stand tall and flap her wings in there? I've watched every single one of my birds do this multiple times a day. That is what I was referring to.
The wing flapping is a good point.

And the entire concept of keeping a solitary chicken alone in a bedroom all day is just not right IMO.
I agree that keeping a chicken alone in a bedroom is not a good idea. (Occasional exceptions for chickens with special medical needs, but we have no reason to think any of those would apply here.)

For several weeks I had to keep a Buff Orpington indoors every night because of predators (the reason there was only one bird left). I used a large dog crate, suitable for a golden retriever. I was able to set a perch in it and just put newspapers down. She was outside during the day, though. It worked, but my yard is much better for chickens than a people house.

I suggest a couple of parakeets. Get a cage bigger than you think they need.

How is it too small? Did you read the dimensions on the image?

I see dimensions of 32 inches wide by 57 inches long (more than 2.5 feet by 4.5 feet), so it has more than 10 square feet of floor space. According to most estimates, that is large enough for a run for one chicken.

I would probably take out the shelf part, but the cage itself IS big enough for one chicken. (Many cages of that style are too small, but this one seems to be an exception. That is probably why it has wheels on the bottom: because it really is too big to carry around easily.)

I agree with all of these points. Keeping a single chicken in a cage in the house is usually not a good idea, for the chicken or the people.
Chickens also need run space, chickens shouldn’t be kept in a cage inside.

Back
Top Bottom