California Dreaming

Yes, i was somewhat aware of the chicks needs as a "newborn."
And have a nice little area ser up in the house for them.
It is my understanding that they can go outside at 3-4 months.
Thoughts?

Thx for the help/advice.

I assume it's a lot warmer in California than here, and as its spring, I don't see a problem with them going outside as soon as they are fully feathered at around 7 weeks. Keeping them inside for that while will get smelly.

Also, be sure to check out the learning center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Thanks!
Ive been navigating the site a bit and learning a lot.
I havent, however, found out if i must make my nesting boxes come off the side of my coop or if they can simply nest inside.
Thoughts?
Thanks again!

Thanks!
Ive been navigating the site a bit and learning a lot.
I havent, however, found out if i must make my nesting boxes come off the side of my coop or if they can simply nest inside.
Thoughts?
Thanks again!

My nesting boxes are in the coop. I wish they were built on the outside as its easier to collect eggs, though when building a coo p, it can be a bit harder to make so it's secure, at least for me. My coop is also heavily insulated for the winters, so with those it'd be less insulated. Also, when the boxes are built in the coop, my chickens will sleep ontop and poop on them, which makes a mess.

For you, I'd look into the side of the coop ones, though it's mainly personal preference! :)

Thank you. I trult appreciate your help.
Next up (lol) Do i just put sand down inside the coop and clean that periodically? Sounds messy. What is a "self cleaning" coop?
Any ideas, advice, links would be awesome!
Thanks

Thank you. I trult appreciate your help.
Next up (lol) Do i just put sand down inside the coop and clean that periodically? Sounds messy. What is a "self cleaning" coop?
Any ideas, advice, links would be awesome!
Thanks

It's no problem, ask away!

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/7-coop-bedding-materials-and-how-to-choose-the-right-one-3/
I use shavings as it smells nicer and is less messy in my opinion. There really is no such thing as a 'self cleaning coop', just ones with less maintenance.

Awesome.
Here goes...
Am i right in my understanding that i can getaway with a smaller coop 5'x2.5'×2.5' for 2 silkies provided i have a larger run? Their run will be roughly 20'x4' on the eide of my house and they will have daily access to my yard of roughly 70'x20'.

Awesome.
Here goes...
Am i right in my understanding that i can getaway with a smaller coop 5'x2.5'×2.5' for 2 silkies provided i have a larger run? Their run will be roughly 20'x4' on the eide of my house and they will have daily access to my yard of roughly 70'x20'.

Yes, that's enough space for two birds as long as they can run in the day. Chickens really just use coops to sleep and lay eggs.

Ok.
Nesting... do they need seperated "nests" or would they share a large one?
Will most any container suffice?

They should have separate ones, sometimes chickens don't like to hear with each other, or use one box when you have several, but it's best to give options or they may lay elsewhere.

Anything can work, some people cut into buckets, others use wood. Personal preference generally, depending on how your coop is designed.

Back
Top Bottom