California - Northern

Thank you for all the B-Day wishes, and the poem. Very sweet.
hugs.gif

no, not particularly "looking" for anything -- was just watching everyone pecking around this morning and wondering what all the various crosses (SFH x marans, or sussex, or CLs...) might end up looking like! as i keep my fingers crossed for broodiness, i'm torn between hatching out some of their crosses vs. getting eggs of some additional varieties...

so EE refers to any chicken that's not a pure-bred that lays colored eggs? i'd assumed all EEs were at least vaguely related to ameraucanas...
EEs from the feed store have been crossed with different breeds. EEs such as I have are a mix of different colored true Ameraucanas. My crosses at this time are pure buff Ameraucana hens, their 2 EE daughters (buff x wheaten) bred to a true blue wheaten Ameraucana rooster. The resulting offspring are non standard colored Ameraucanas so they are considered EEs.

My Bresse cockerel woke us up at 4:45 this morning! There goes my husband's dream of keeping him here in town! DH thinks that I should just bring him into the house every evening and keep him in a dog kennel. But his crow is really getting good and he has been crowing for 10 minutes about every hour this morning. He must be excited about all the girls in his harem!
big_smile.png
:) let me know if that works I would love to have an undercover roo :)

EEs used to be Aracaunas crossed with anything, including the not recognized colors of Ameracaunas. It is debated now because of the importation of the Cream Legbars. Some want to call the Cream Legbars EEs!
lau.gif

I think in reality, if you cross a Cream Legbar with a Crele Pene and you get a chicken that breeds true hatch after hatch, then it is a breed and should not be called an EE. Time will tell what happens though

I was asking about the Amelias because I have some that I do not need. I will set up a page for them in the sales
\rehome section. They will likely go the the Animal Exchange if it starts up and if no one wants them.

hmmm... i'd love to have an amelia again -- how old are yours?

Hi everyone,

Long time reader but first time posting. I have learned so much on this website so I want to say hi and thank you for all the information on chicken keeping.

I am in San Jose, CA. This is my first time keeping chickens. I have two sebright hens (one golden one silver). I got my first egg today so I am very excited. I have a quick question though. I saw my chickens eating my milkweed but they are fine...do I have to worry about their eggs? can I eat the eggs? I thought Monarch caterpillars eat milkweed so that birds do not the butterfly because milkweed is poisonous?

Steve

very pretty eggs . I am hoping to get some various nice blue/green and olive eggers for the layer flock . I have a pretty blue ameraucana hen . have a few Araucana from Deb. ( Deb sorry the young crele killed one
hit.gif
. He got rehomed. I picked up 10 easter eggers yesterday to put with the 2 araucana. they are a week old and lavender ameraucana x ee/black or lavender amaeraucana. I am hopefully getting 6 more super cool ee from Chickee in the next few weeks. plus I have a few olive eggers in the bator now.

ohh also from the director of the south east division of the Ameraucana club I am getting some Brown Red Ameraucana ( One of the rarest of the true's I think)
Molly I will be ready for Jarehorn and Isbar eggs in about 2 weeks
big_smile.png
Those all sound so exciting! I can't wait till they start laying. How about some pics???
droolin.gif

Last night, we unloaded the non-GMO King Layer Pellets that my DH picked up for me at Scott's Valley Feed. It is called Freedom GMO-Free Natural Layer Pellets. It is corn-free and soy-free.
smile.png
Its on my list to pick up next time I am there. I'm afraid to go in though because I know they have a lot of fun chicks right now.
love.gif
I don't think I'll be able to avoid the temptation!!!

Hi everyone,

Long time reader but first time posting. I have learned so much on this website so I want to say hi and thank you for all the information on chicken keeping.

I am in San Jose, CA. This is my first time keeping chickens. I have two sebright hens (one golden one silver). I got my first egg today so I am very excited. I have a quick question though. I saw my chickens eating my milkweed but they are fine...do I have to worry about their eggs? can I eat the eggs? I thought Monarch caterpillars eat milkweed so that birds do not the butterfly because milkweed is poisonous?

Steve
Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm just down the road from you in Scotts Valley...
smile.png
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I have wondered the same thing. I'm sure someone here will be able to answer.

Hi everyone,

Steve

Hello and Welcome to the Nor Cal thread! Only Two chickens?
ep.gif
We will have to DO something about that!
lau.gif

I don't know anything about milkweed poisoning, but I have found if my birds are not starving they won't eat anything that would hurt them. I have no clue about the eggs - but since garlic and onions don't affect the eggs I think it might be the same way with the milkweed?

Back
Top Bottom