California - Northern

Deann, thank you for that fantastic explanation!

If anyone is feeling generous and has some time could you cut and pastevit and send it to me? Can't do it on the phone and when I get home it will be a thousand posts away.

Sorry that I was AWOL yesterday! Mondays are a busy day for us. We participate all day in a homeschool co-op where I teach 2 drama classes. (With 6 kids, I am well acquainted with all kinds of drama!
lol.png
) Then one of my adult daughters and her husband took Monet to see Ender's Game last night and I watched my 2 yr old granddaughter while they were gone. Grandma was laid out on the couch by the time they came to pick her up.

I'm trying to decide if I should put some dirt in the inside brooder with the 2 week old babies or just wait and watch them. The last group of chicks was the Pita Pintas and 2 weeks after moving them outside, a few of them showed signs of not feeling well. If it was cocci, I caught it early and they were acting normal within 1 day of starting them on Amprolium.

Sorry that I was AWOL yesterday! Mondays are a busy day for us. We participate all day in a homeschool co-op where I teach 2 drama classes. (With 6 kids, I am well acquainted with all kinds of drama!
lol.png
) Then one of my adult daughters and her husband took Monet to see Ender's Game last night and I watched my 2 yr old granddaughter while they were gone. Grandma was laid out on the couch by the time they came to pick her up.

I'm trying to decide if I should put some dirt in the inside brooder with the 2 week old babies or just wait and watch them. The last group of chicks was the Pita Pintas and 2 weeks after moving them outside, a few of them showed signs of not feeling well. If it was cocci, I caught it early and they were acting normal within 1 day of starting them on Amprolium.
Put in some dirt. They can get Cocci earlier, but 4 to 16 weeks or so is critical.

Watch them though and treat if they start acting sick.

I have a couple more questions, if you all don't mind; How hard is it to vaccinate for mareks? do you all do it? not sure if my hens were vaccinated for mareks when I got them. The chicks I hatch, if I vaccinate them, would it introduce a contaminant into the flock? I assume it's a dead virus in the vaccine, but I've had no issues and want to make sure it's all good before I do it.

I have a couple more questions, if you all don't mind; How hard is it to vaccinate for mareks? do you all do it? not sure if my hens were vaccinated for mareks when I got them. The chicks I hatch, if I vaccinate them, would it introduce a contaminant into the flock? I assume it's a dead virus in the vaccine, but I've had no issues and want to make sure it's all good before I do it.
I do not vaccinate for Mareks. It does not keep the chicks(and you have to vaccinate them as soon as you can) from catching Mareks. It lowers the number that will get cancer at around 24 months by about 3%.

Vaccinated and un Vaccinated chickens can be mixed in the same flock.

Maraks vaccine is active turkey maraks. The theory is if they carry the benign one they cannot get the leathal one. So you want them to spread it around and have it hopefully outcompe the bad chicken one.

In order for it to work they have to have ir for about 14 days before they are exposed to anything else. Since reg maraks is anywhere there are chickens that is a challenge . So some vaccinenated chicks will still get the cancers etc.

If you come this way for the breese sams downtown has the vaccines. I gave not been able to cut the one they have however so it is 20 per use.

Back
Top Bottom