California - Northern

Any reason you can think of for me to NOT do this? I would quarantine of course but this add was on the California Poultry People FB pg. "I have 12 hens and roosters, mostly silkies or sizzles with one cochin, looking for new homes. All have been raised in a petting farm and are under 3 years old. Friendly and healthy. The petting farm is no longer going to use chickens for the kids to hold so all need to find new homes in the next month or so. They are located about 45 min north of San Francisco. One of the silkies is egg crazy and she comes with her eggs shes been sitting on or if they've hatched then all her kids! All are free to good homes. No eating them." I have been putting my broody vibes out into the universe...gave away a couple of EEs to a friend today and this post shows up. :old It's a sign I am sure of it. Anyway, this is the broody mama. I would love to take her and her clutch but am not sure it will be the right thing to do. (translation DH may not be so keen on the idea) Anyway any thoughts? I want a silkie for the cuddle factor as well as the broodiness and here some are :D
Except for the disease factor its a good idea. Looks like they want you to take 12 howevet... but silkies only cpunt for 1/3 of a marans so its practicaly nothing.

Quote:
She said they are golden buff and gave me a link to this picture

Edited to add: She is asking $10 each for the buff and also has blacks, but they are not ready yet. They will be $20 each when they are ready. She said they are from show stock
YES!!!!!! I will take both buffs. I am in Lake county. I can meet her on the 5 some were if she want's to. Red bluff is lik 4 hours but worth it since they are hard to find.
Let me see what she is willing to do.

OK......I PM'd her to see if she could meet me in Chico. If she can, you could maybe meet me on the 10th at I-5 and Hwy 20?
Yeah that would be awesome. William's is perfect. I can park at the playground by he shell station right off the freeway and the kids can play. If she wants to sell sooner I can meet her elsewhere.

Quote:
She said they are golden buff and gave me a link to this picture

Edited to add: She is asking $10 each for the buff and also has blacks, but they are not ready yet. They will be $20 each when they are ready. She said they are from show stock
YES!!!!!! I will take both buffs. I am in Lake county. I can meet her on the 5 some were if she want's to. Red bluff is lik 4 hours but worth it since they are hard to find.
Let me see what she is willing to do.

OK......I PM'd her to see if she could meet me in Chico. If she can, you could maybe meet me on the 10th at I-5 and Hwy 20?
Yeah that would be awesome. William's is perfect. I can park at the playground by he shell station right off the freeway and the kids can play. If she wants to sell sooner I can meet her elsewhere.

Will let you know as soon as I hear back from her....
D.gif

Any reason you can think of for me to NOT do this? I would quarantine of course but this add was on the California Poultry People FB pg.

"I have 12 hens and roosters, mostly silkies or sizzles with one cochin, looking for new homes. All have been raised in a petting farm and are under 3 years old. Friendly and healthy. The petting farm is no longer going to use chickens for the kids to hold so all need to find new homes in the next month or so. They are located about 45 min north of San Francisco. One of the silkies is egg crazy and she comes with her eggs shes been sitting on or if they've hatched then all her kids! All are free to good homes. No eating them."

I have been putting my broody vibes out into the universe...gave away a couple of EEs to a friend today and this post shows up.
old.gif
It's a sign I am sure of it. Anyway, this is the broody mama. I would love to take her and her clutch but am not sure it will be the right thing to do. (translation DH may not be so keen on the idea) Anyway any thoughts? I want a silkie for the cuddle factor as well as the broodiness and here some are
big_smile.png

Yes, do it for the broody Silkie!
Except for the disease factor its a good idea. Looks like they want you to take 12 howevet... but silkies only cpunt for 1/3 of a marans so its practicaly nothing.

Thanks. The type of meat bird isn't really important, just whichever would be butchered before crowing if possible. If I ever get a broody I want to get some meat birds for her to raise. I won't eat them, but my parents would.

I have a hatching temp question. I now have 3 thermometers in the incubator. I know for still air you keep the temp at 102, but that's 102 "air temp", right? So If I have a "water wiggler" probe thermometer, do I want the temp to be 99.5, or 102?
idunno.gif

Thanks. The type of meat bird isn't really important, just whichever would be butchered before crowing if possible. If I ever get a broody I want to get some meat birds for her to raise. I won't eat them, but my parents would.
I (I send them to my dad's house) usually process them when they start crowing. I had some Cornish Cross last year that started to crow before they were processed.

Any cornish crosses I think you would be safe with. I did them before and I really don't remember them crowing before butchering.

If you do any other breed that is dual purpose, then yes they will be crowing before you eat them. Only the cornish crosses grow fast enough, IMO, to get enough meat on them in time. Dual purpose breeds are nice about 18-20 weeks usually. Sometimes longer. Cornish 6-10 weeks.

Now if you get a CL cross from @chiqita - that little sucker will be crowing at 7 weeks! He was an ornery little thing too!! But my husband liked him.

Back
Top Bottom