California - Northern

Yeay!!! My cute little hen Sky (will be nine on the on the 27th) has gone broody!! It started at the beginning of last week and now she is in the coop all day everyday! She barely comes out to stretch her feet!! What should I do? is it too soon to give her fertile eggs? if not can she hatch guinea and chicken eggs at the same time? will she even take to the guinea eggs? should I wait it out to see if she looses interest?
Thanks for answering all my questions!
She is turning 9? I hate to ask this but are you sure that she is broody or just not feeling good due to age? Is she fluffing up and doing the broody scream when you check on her?

@The Yakima Kid I grew up in selah!! I recognized the teapot gas station then saw your user name :) Such a shame they moved it, but I guess it's better than destroying it!

I just moved to the Bay Area last summer with the family I nanny and we are hoping to start a few backyard chickens. I grew up with lots of chickens and definitely want to share the joy of hatching chicks with the little ones..anybody have a smallish incubator with nice visibility (hoping for a brinsea) that we could use for a hatch? We would, of course, return it clean and sterile!

The chicks moved into their larger quarters today. I would've moved them earlier this week, but my kindergartener got permission to bring them in for show-and-tell today, and I figured just carrying the bin in would be easier than trying to catch them!

They're two weeks old. The BRs are both girls, right? The others are RSL, so I'm not worried about them.
Very cute! Hope the class enjoyed them!

My call babies about 3 wks old today in the North State.
Awww........they are adorable! What part of the North State are you in?

Well on day 11 on my second hatch ever after removing clears and blood rings Im down from 15 to 9 CLB
Ill let all go on to lockdown as I think this silly incubator runs low temp a bit. (Hatched at day 22-24 last hatch)

I have 13 barred hollands shipped from LA in as well but most look clear Im leaving them all in through the entire process hoping for some

Also have a number of delaware and RIR eggs in as well removed clears and blood rings on those as well
of 48 im down to 34 (9 CLB 13 Barred Hollands, 4 RIR and 8 Delaware)

Lots of iffy eggs in there we will see at lock down.

Hoping for at least 3 barred hollands 4-5 CLB something in the RIR and 4 or so Delawares.
Fingers crossed for you!

Quote: I hope the little guys make it!

Quote: I agree the little one looks savable. Vetricyn is amazing stuff!

Gee....is the Pekin named after anyone special????
wink.png
I bet they lose tier fear of you quickly when they figure out that seeing you means food!

Yeay!!! My cute little hen Sky (will be nine on the on the 27th) has gone broody!! It started at the beginning of last week and now she is in the coop all day everyday! She barely comes out to stretch her feet!! What should I do? is it too soon to give her fertile eggs? if not can she hatch guinea and chicken eggs at the same time? will she even take to the guinea eggs? should I wait it out to see if she looses interest?
Thanks for answering all my questions!
Guinea eggs take 28 days and chicken eggs only 21. If you want her to incubate both I would give her the guinea first then add the chicken egg a week later so they all hatch around the same time. I usually wait to see if they stick for 3-5 days before giving them eggs

@The Yakima Kid I grew up in selah!! I recognized the teapot gas station then saw your user name
smile.png
Such a shame they moved it, but I guess it's better than destroying it!

I just moved to the Bay Area last summer with the family I nanny and we are hoping to start a few backyard chickens. I grew up with lots of chickens and definitely want to share the joy of hatching chicks with the little ones..anybody have a smallish incubator with nice visibility (hoping for a brinsea) that we could use for a hatch? We would, of course, return it clean and sterile!
Welcome to the thread! Hope you are able to find an incubator!

5 fluffy turkies. The belly dried up and the turkey jumps right out of the tea cup. However something funny about his legs. Not splayed like I've seen before. They go straight back instead of out to the side. I taped and will hope for the best. I read it's hard to get them to eat. So odd. It's REALLY hard . I'm taking them several times daily to the water and both dry and soaked feed to dip their beaks. They're so big id think they would chow down. How long will they act like that? Turkey brains! Now I get it!

When the co op gets poults and keets in they put keys in the feed and colored marbles in the water.
I'm guessing anything shiny would work.

BR's are beautiful, hope they starting taking care of themselves soon.

Very cute!  Hope the class enjoyed them!

Awww........they are adorable!   What part of the North State are you in?

Fingers crossed for you!

I hope the little guys make it!

I agree the little one looks savable.  Vetricyn is amazing stuff!

Gee....is the Pekin named after anyone special????  ;)    I bet they lose tier fear of you quickly when they figure out that seeing you means food!

Guinea eggs take 28 days and chicken eggs only 21.  If you want her to incubate both I would give her the guinea first then add the chicken egg a week later so they all hatch around the same time.  I usually wait to see if they stick for 3-5 days before giving them eggs

Welcome to the thread!   Hope you are able to find an incubator!

Thanks for the help!!

I am heartsick. Discovered one of my girls with a swollen face yesterday. She doesn't stink so I think it is some form of respiratory condition. Spent hours yesterday cleaning the coop, waterers etc. with a bleach solution. This morning another girl is developing swollen eyes. I have them quarantined but the more I read the more I know that I have to cull them and anyone else who turns up with the same symptoms. I am praying that no one else gets sick. I will do the culling tonight.

I was going to be meeting a guy this coming weekend to sell him two girls but now I have to tell him that I can't

In addition today is the last ship day for Urch for the year. I sent my order in February and they haven't shipped yet and no phone call today. It is just after 11:00 am in Minnesota I would have thought I would have heard by now but maybe not. Anyway...I have two other people roped in on this order with me and I don't know what to do if I don't get the call today. I can certainly refund their money in hopes that the Urches will refund mine but I feel badly just the same and really disappointed too.

On the other hand since I have sickness in my flock I am almost hoping they don't ship. I would rather wait a year and get this whole infection thing under control and eradicated.

I am assuming the peacocks or some of the wild birds that are plentiful around here brought it. I keep a pretty clean coop and my flock free ranges so it is not an overcowding/unsanitary conditions thing. All runs are covered but ground squirrels and small birds can get into the pens and I often leave the gates open when the girls are ranging so they have a nesting place.

I am just sad and not looking forward to what I know I have to do.

I am heartsick. Discovered one of my girls with a swollen face yesterday. She doesn't stink so I think it is some form of respiratory condition. Spent hours yesterday cleaning the coop, waterers etc. with a bleach solution. This morning another girl is developing swollen eyes. I have them quarantined but the more I read the more I know that I have to cull them and anyone else who turns up with the same symptoms. I am praying that no one else gets sick. I will do the culling tonight.

I was going to be meeting a guy this coming weekend to sell him two girls but now I have to tell him that I can't

In addition today is the last ship day for Urch for the year. I sent my order in February and they haven't shipped yet and no phone call today. It is just after 11:00 am in Minnesota I would have thought I would have heard by now but maybe not. Anyway...I have two other people roped in on this order with me and I don't know what to do if I don't get the call today. I can certainly refund their money in hopes that the Urches will refund mine but I feel badly just the same and really disappointed too.

On the other hand since I have sickness in my flock I am almost hoping they don't ship. I would rather wait a year and get this whole infection thing under control and eradicated.

I am assuming the peacocks or some of the wild birds that are plentiful around here brought it. I keep a pretty clean coop and my flock free ranges so it is not an overcowding/unsanitary conditions thing. All runs are covered but ground squirrels and small birds can get into the pens and I often leave the gates open when the girls are ranging so they have a nesting place.

I am just sad and not looking forward to what I know I have to do.
UCD will take them, euthanize them and test them for you.

If you can find out what it is then you can make a plan of action.

Back
Top Bottom