California - Northern

Thanks for all the input. Unless (God forbid) things worsen, I'm going to go ahead and get my chicks. They are coming in from Ohio. I am not concerned about them bringing disease so much as bringing them into a potentially bad situation. What's happening in SoCal is bordering on nightmare scenario for backyard flock owners.

Thanks for all the input. Unless (God forbid) things worsen, I'm going to go ahead and get my chicks. They are coming in from Ohio. I am not concerned about them bringing disease so much as bringing them into a potentially bad situation. What's happening in SoCal is bordering on nightmare scenario for backyard flock owners.
Over a million birds put down so far between commercial and backyard flocks, and I am on pins and needles everyday. It is all north and east of me and I'm right on the south border of the QZ. Just hope they get it under control sooner rather than later

Well just an FYI...if you got a chick order and your post office hub is in a hot zone or QZ cancel your order. From what I read they won't deliver the birds to the post office. I just cancelled my order for this year

and this is the paragraph I was referred to

No shipping, transporting, or receiving live poultry or poultry hatching eggs out of or into this regional quarantine area without prior written permission from CDFA.* This includes shipments via the United States Postal Service, private package shipping companies or similar methods.

Last edited:
Well just an FYI...if you got a chick order and your post office hub is in a hot zone or QZ cancel your order. From what I read they won't deliver the birds to the post office. I just cancelled my order for this year

and this is the paragraph I was referred to

No shipping, transporting, or receiving live poultry or poultry hatching eggs out of or into this regional quarantine area without prior written permission from CDFA.* This includes shipments via the United States Postal Service, private package shipping companies or similar methods.
Fortunately for me, I am far from those zones, as is my post office. I just wish I was farther from them.... OR better yet, there weren't ANY zones.....

I hope for the best also. Problem is most people don’t even know. I told a couple chicken friends today. They had no idea.

Yup....have seen people even on this site in quarantine areas attempting to both buy and sell birds, sometimes out of state. :duc I am nowhere near any of the affected areas and I am still getting the heeby-jeebies. Everyone is getting an extra long QT coming in and if I let birds go to newer hobbyists I make sure they're informed about it. I think I am cancelling my summer country fair plans. I still plan on taking birds to the local swap, but not bringing any back with me (and will have a dedicated outfit etc).

You should be totally fine. :fl Just practice good security measures and quarantine like always.

Hello NorCal chicken friends!

I was wondering if I could get your advice. One of my hens has a very swollen eye and cheek. It doesn't seem to have much discharge, but it is tender and warm. Yesterday I flushed it with saline and tried to put some antibiotic ointment around it, and this morning I gave her a bath and flushed the eye again. But it is about the same tonight.
swollen eye.jpg

(sorry for the sideways picture; I can't figure out how to rotate it. FYI, she does have a cross beak, but we've managed that fine these last 6 years.)

Hello NorCal chicken friends!

I was wondering if I could get your advice. One of my hens has a very swollen eye and cheek. It doesn't seem to have much discharge, but it is tender and warm. Yesterday I flushed it with saline and tried to put some antibiotic ointment around it, and this morning I gave her a bath and flushed the eye again. But it is about the same tonight.
View attachment 1711013
(sorry for the sideways picture; I can't figure out how to rotate it. FYI, she does have a cross beak, but we've managed that fine these last 6 years.)
That does look bad!

I would move her into a quiet place. I have a kennel in the garage that I use for sick chickens. See if you can clean it and try a warm moist hand cloth on it. Hold it on the eye for a couple of minutes, rest and repeat several times.

Also, post on the emergency thread for more help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Back
Top Bottom