California - Northern

Wow, sounds like you are on a roll! :thumbsup     Are these guys going for food?  I have 11 young roosters to find homes for, but most are bantams, with some being show quality, so harder to find homes for. It kills me to see them go to auction when they are so nice :(   

Yes, they are going for food. It is hard but has to be done. I just have to remind myself they had a great life here and I can't have beautiful hens without getting so many roosters...it's all part of the game...

Oops. Autocorrect fail!
Yes pin. My puns are not THAT bad that they would create interspecies outrage and cause rooster to run away in terror forever.

Oops. Autocorrect fail!
Yes pin. My puns are not THAT bad that they would create interspecies outrage and cause rooster to run away in terror forever.
lau.gif
Auto Correct is so funny!

Causing interspecies outrage would demonstrate some awesome Punning skills!

Wow, sounds like you are on a roll! :thumbsup     Are these guys going for food?  I have 11 young roosters to find homes for, but most are bantams, with some being show quality, so harder to find homes for. It kills me to see them go to auction when they are so nice :(   

I also have a few bantam Roosters to find homes for. They are just to sweet to eat. I'm hoping to sucker some kid into them. If not, they can just stay here. They are small and don't take up to much room :)

Deann, run some fishing line in the corners of your pens, or from tree to fence...areas where your chickens can go for protection. The hawks can see the shimmering from the air and don't know what it is, so will not come close. ...or you can get all white chickens, hawks do not go after white chickens as they are not a natural color for their food. I have enough White Bresse to fill most of your pens for you ;>} Good luck, Carolyn

Quote:

Last edited:
So sorry about the hawk attacks. They are very difficult to deter.

Molly - congrats on more boys gone!

I've had boys going out the door too, but three at a time and they are reentering through the freezer door. Plan to do a few more this morning. I HAVE to get these numbers under control if for no other reason than having a place to put the growing juveniles.

Processing the young turkey was an error in judgment, he wasn't much bigger than a processed campine. Although he's still big enough for two meals for us. We need to let the other 50 grow a few more months. It's a shame to have them lose their life for such a pittance (although people eat squab and quail).

Quote:
Mine have been calm as of yet. Although the pullets just recently laid their first egg. It's time to choose the cockerel that will stay and the other one will go to see if Bresse are worth the trouble. Mine are the blacks and they are beautiful (not a fan of white birds). One boy is the larger of the two slightly, but I vastly prefer the tail set on the second. I think if he becomes the dominant boy in the pen, he'll catch up.

Clovis is a lover not a fighter. He does not really challenge other roos through his fence but does court the girls that come by and is frenetic about everyone knowing he is the finder of all treats. If he sees me with a bowl he calls the girls pronto.

I have gotten 1 chick with feathered legs from that pen. Anyone else seen 1 yet? I know 2 other breederswho have mentioned it....

What breed? I have lots of feather legged birds in my Icelandic pen. They came from my rooster and now he has produced several daughters with the trait. Good thing because I'm going to change him out for one of his clean legged sons that I adore. With no standard, you just pick what you like!

Has anyone talk to AmyBeth? I miss her posts and beautiful pictures..

I sent her a PM a couple of months ago to inquire about her well-being, but never heard back.

Back
Top Bottom