California - Northern

I hadn't really made plans......................since I can't legally sell processed birds.
Well I can't legally have more than 5 hens either.........So I am not putting in my order for the Thanksgiving Turkeys you are not processing and not selling!
lol.png

Last edited:
After two years here I am finally having a predator problem. Oh joy. Last week I found one of my Easter Hatch splash Orps headless in the yard. It was a pullet, so that's a loss. This morning I found the flock snacking on the headless corpse of one of my Lemon Cuckoo pair; it was the cockerel. That cockerel was SO friendly! I had been stressing about having to give him up anyway (can't keep any more roosters than two mature Roos) but the poor thing.....

It's a skunk, which I have seen twice. But it is MY fault, as I allowed the Easter Hatch group to develop the habit of roosting outside of the coop on my porch steps all night. My complacency got those chickens killed.

Now I am gonna have to carry each of those 16 youngsters into the coop at night AND come up with a skunk eradication plan. I know I am going to adjust the auto-door schedule so it closes AT dusk, not after. (I am a late riser, so the flock always beats me outside in the mornings, that's how they got to the carcass before me.)

I am so ****** at myself.

I am so sorry for your loss :(

Hi Nor Cal Peeps,
I am looking for a place to process my meat birds in the Sacramento/foothills area. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance for any help

Hi Nor Cal Peeps,
I am looking for a place to process my meat birds in the Sacramento/foothills area. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance for any help
I'm from the San Joaquin Valley here but I head there is a Mobile Processing place. Not sure how it works though.
I just copy pasted this of their site:

Mobile slaughter and processing units are now in operation around the country. Here is some basic info about them. (Note that as more and more poultry MPUs come on line around the country, not all will be listed here.)

Sierra Foothills (CA)

• Auburn, California
  • Species: poultry
  • Inspection: Each producer operates under Producer/Grower 20,000 or 1,000 Bird Exemption
  • Capacity per day: 100-125 birds
  • Owned by the High Sierra Resource Conservation and Development Council
  • Details and photos in NMPAN webinar: Mobile Poultry Processing Units in California, Montana, and Vermont
  • Contact: Roger Ingram, University of California Cooperative Extension, (530) 889-7385,[email protected]
  • KEY CHALLENGE: County health departments have not yet recognized the unit as an "approved source" (per Food Code), so marketing options remain extremely limited. Yet this may change soon, because the health departments are becoming more comfortable with local food (last update: August 2012).

Back
Top Bottom