California - Northern

Well I don't know if this is good news or bad news but I just went out to check her again and here are the pictures of what I found
First one is a little piece of soft shelled egg.
Second one is the soft egg shell I pulled out.

I was having soft shells, one with your situation too.
They all 3 were having issues at pol, and one died. Uc Davis said egg laying issues and there was a broken egg stuck inside inside. The vet says if one has a hard time, the hen will start dumping the next eggs in the abdomen.
Been mixin DE like Ron said and have had no issues. I always have oyster shell out , but these new pullets seemed to not eat them very much.
The first couple of days I ground up oyster shells too and mixed in the feed with DE and calcium tabs. With a little water. Kind of to kick start them.
Now we're all good. I really like the DE mixed in, made a difference in all of my birds shells

I was having soft shells, one with your situation too.
They all 3 were having issues at pol, and one died. Uc Davis said egg laying issues and there was a broken egg stuck inside inside. The vet says if one has a hard time, the hen will start dumping the next eggs in the abdomen.
Been mixin DE like Ron said and have had no issues. I always have oyster shell out , but these new pullets seemed to not eat them very much.
The first couple of days I ground up oyster shells too and mixed in the feed with DE and calcium tabs. With a little water. Kind of to kick start them.
Now we're all good. I really like the DE mixed in, made a difference in all of my birds shells

It is good to hear that the Food grade DE is working for you!

It is more easily absorbed by the Hens so you do not need much. If I start seeing weak shells, I will give it to them for several days and then make sure they have access to Oyster Shell Calcium.

It is good to hear that the Food grade DE is working for you!

It is more easily absorbed by the Hens so you do not need much. If I start seeing weak shells, I will give it to them for several days and then make sure they have access to Oyster Shell Calcium.

Yes Ron thank you for the suggestion. I have given the oyster shell till I'm blue in the face and every pen would have problems. Especially my older hatchery birds. Now they're all really nice because of the DE. It's made a big difference

Last edited:
My hatchery birds don't seem to eat the oyster shell. The Wyandotte's and orps can't seem to get enough of it, they aren't hatchery stock. I do have 1 hatchery dutch that eats oyster shell now that I type they don't. She is a "failure to thrive" bird so all bets are off with her.

On the food grade DE, I asked my husband to pick some up once. I've seen it in like 3-5 pound bags. I think it was robinsons feed in Lodi that had a huge bag , either 25 or 50 lbs for $18-$20 that has lasted me. It was cheaper to donut like that. Kills any red ants in the feed too

Quote: I gave up trying to keep up there long ago. I would get a few pages into what I hadn't read yet and by then there would be 3 more new pages. I don;t know how Sally. Ron, Happy Chooks and the others running the HAL could keep up. I would have to be on the computer 24/7. Thanks to everyone who made it such a fun event!!!

On the food grade DE, I asked my husband to pick some up once. I've seen it in like 3-5 pound bags. I think it was robinsons feed in Lodi that had a huge bag , either 25 or 50 lbs for $18-$20 that has lasted me. It was cheaper to donut like that. Kills any red ants in the feed too
I have seen it at TSC in smallish bags......maybe few pounds. I didn't look at the prices though.

Back
Top Bottom