California - Northern

Because sometimes mistakes are funny. I read somewhere that food die could be used to mark chicks. I had one chick that was acting funny. It was hard to spot because that group of chicks all looked alike. I thought I'd get smart and use food color. All I had was the food gel used in fondant. Then the chicks all slept in a pile and I got this.

That is one funny looking chick!

Actually California has three distinct areas. Northern California is a line drawn from Sacramento across the state. Southern California is all that area below a line drawn across about 20 miles south of Bakersfield. The rest is Central California. You have to remember that most folks in Southern California believe that the Golden Gate Bridge is the Oregon border. LOL. Having been raised in Northern California (Yreka, Redding, & Chico) there is a noticeable change in culture and attitude below it. One can actually cut the state up left to right rather than up and down. The coastal range and the Sierra Nevada's separate the Central Area from the Left Coast and the Mountain Folks. The Coastal area is typical the liberal bastion, the Central area the more conservative leaning, and the Mountain area where the Ultra right constitutionalists live.

Actually California has three distinct areas. Northern California is a line drawn from Sacramento across the state. Southern California is all that area below a line drawn across about 20 miles south of Bakersfield. The rest is Central California. You have to remember that most folks in Southern California believe that the Golden Gate Bridge is the Oregon border. LOL. Having been raised in Northern California (Yreka, Redding, & Chico) there is a noticeable change in culture and attitude below it. One can actually cut the state up left to right rather than up and down. The coastal range and the Sierra Nevada's separate the Central Area from the Left Coast and the Mountain Folks. The Coastal area is typical the liberal bastion, the Central area the more conservative leaning, and the Mountain area where the Ultra right constitutionalists live.

You have come to the correct place!

Do you have chickens already?

welcome! here you will learn things, spit out your coffee, make friends and do a bit of groaning.... Not quite like any other thread out there!.

They are my favorite egg to eat!

I poked air holes in the duck eggs only to see they were all shrink wrapped. I opened them up and wet them all. I will see how they look in the morning..../ nervous.
fl.gif

my new babies
Congratulations!

Because sometimes mistakes are funny. I read somewhere that food die could be used to mark chicks. I had one chick that was acting funny. It was hard to spot because that group of chicks all looked alike. I thought I'd get smart and use food color. All I had was the food gel used in fondant. Then the chicks all slept in a pile and I got this.
Were they all like this?
gig.gif

With my prior two broody experiences I kept the chicks around until way after they were weaned. On Tuesday I sold Normas three boys at 2.5 weeks and tomorrow I am anticipating selling the 4 girls from her hatch. They will be 3 weeks old. What should I expect from mama? Will she shake it off or do they do the chicken equivalent of mourning? I am feeling badly for her. I didn't intend to do this as I was going to keep a boy and a girl but then they were popular. Am I a terrible home wrecker?
hit.gif

No chickens yet. Building a coop and run first. See "Double S Ranch - Boise, ID" on facebook. We had two layers last summer and fall, but without the needed appliances to keep them safe and warm during our harsh winter, we found them a home with a friend who has a whooooole lot of chickens.

Too funny! Pretty bird, despite the punk rock dye job.

We got the Cackle Hatchery shipment today! Exciting. Lots of beautiful assorted frypan chicks, most relatively easy to identify, but one that has me a little confused. I may post him here for opinions when I find my dang camera I JUST had out, ugh. Out of the box of 50 meaties and a few breed-specific pullets I ordered, of COURSE the only DOA was one of my pullets, and one other is looking shaky- both Faverolles. I did find an unmarked Faverolle mixed in with the frypan birds. Probably a cockerel, but I can hope. The rest of the chicks look great, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom