California - Northern

Getting eggs from PapaBrooder this morning, setting them as soon as I get home!
celebrate.gif
Here we go again! I'm so excited.
How exciting!!!!

Quote: That was a great explaination! Thanks. It sounds like a great project and if all the objectives are achieved they would be great birds for the home flock.

Quote:
Quote: I actrually caught that reference......am I revealing too much about my youth???
hide.gif

I don't have a problem, I don't have a problem, I don't have a problem....my bator is FULL. I actually had 3 extra eggs that wouldn't fit in the bator. I grabbed three white ones to give to my family to eat - I almost gave them 3 Tolbunt Polish eggs(that have already been incubating for a few days) instead of 3 Trader Joe's eggs! I only realized I took out the wrong ones when I started wondering why the eggs were warm. @PapaBrooder gave me 6 extra EE eggs!
smile.png
I realized 15 minutes after setting them that I had set them upside down, skinny side up, because that's the way they had been set/labeled in the carton lol! Glad I caught my mistake.
Nothing more beautiful that a full incubator (except on full of just hatched chicks). You could put the extra eggs in the space next to the turner and rotate them in when you remove clears.

Quote: They seem to have stablized. I lost one more after I started trestment (total of 3 died), but it did not look well last night. It was dead this morning. I am not seeing bloody poop any more and everyone else seems to feel fine. Should I treat for 5 or 7 days at this dose? I have the quail in a separate pen but it is within a few feet of this one. Do I need to worry about them? Should I start preventative treatment for them?

We just roasted the first of the meaties I processed a few weeks ago. It was very tender and juicy and we were very pleased with it!
Were they regular Cornish cross Vicki? I haven't raised just meaties but use extra cockerels for that.

Yes...regular Cornish X from the feedstore. I gave one to my daughter and she cooked it in her rotisserie. She said it was dry but tasted good. Mine was definitely not dry so she may have overcooked hers. These were the 2 smaller ones...about 3 1/2 lbs each.
Quote:
So she suffered...It wasn't just passing out like it would have been from heat. She was in pain.
Sounds like Egg peritonitis?

Don't beat yourself up about it. Most birds do not show when they are ill until it is usually too late. Since they are prey animals, signs of illness make them a target for predators. I would think dying of heat would cause more suffering anyway. If she was ill over time it would likely be more gradual and she may have just gone to sleep. The hotter temperatures may have pushed her over the edge. You are a great chicken Mom and I can tell you try to everything you can for them. You would not have let her suffer if you had known and there had been anything you could do.
hugs.gif

Holy crap! I have had my first totally unprepared person. Wants 1 day olds does not know what a heat lamp is. Has no brooder and no clue! And this is after I talked to her earlier and asked if she had the stuff.

And now shes got my address. Wonder if she is going to show after I told her she can't have babies without brooder...
Make her bring to brooder with her to show you.....

Quote: X2

How exciting!!!!

That was a great explaination! Thanks. It sounds like a great project and if all the objectives are achieved they would be great birds for the home flock.

Quote:
I actrually caught that reference......am I revealing too much about my youth???
hide.gif

Nothing more beautiful that a full incubator (except on full of just hatched chicks). You could put the extra eggs in the space next to the turner and rotate them in when you remove clears.

They seem to have stablized. I lost one more after I started trestment (total of 3 died), but it did not look well last night. It was dead this morning. I am not seeing bloody poop any more and everyone else seems to feel fine. Should I treat for 5 or 7 days at this dose? I have the quail in a separate pen but it is within a few feet of this one. Do I need to worry about them? Should I start preventative treatment for them?

Yes...regular Cornish X from the feedstore. I gave one to my daughter and she cooked it in her rotisserie. She said it was dry but tasted good. Mine was definitely not dry so she may have overcooked hers. These were the 2 smaller ones...about 3 1/2 lbs each.
Sounds like Egg peritonitis?

Don't beat yourself up about it. Most birds do not show when they are ill until it is usually too late. Since they are prey animals, signs of illness make them a target for predators. I would think dying of heat would cause more suffering anyway. If she was ill over time it would likely be more gradual and she may have just gone to sleep. The hotter temperatures may have pushed her over the edge. You are a great chicken Mom and I can tell you try to everything you can for them. You would not have let her suffer if you had known and there had been anything you could do.
hugs.gif

Make her bring to brooder with her to show you.....

X2

Go back to the 1.5tsp per gallon(or equal for the liquid) for 5 days and then the half dose for another 7 days.

Of course by then it will be time to process them?

Holy crap! I have had my first totally unprepared person. Wants 1 day olds does not know what a heat lamp is. Has no brooder and no clue! And this is after I talked to her earlier and asked if she had the stuff.

And now shes got my address. Wonder if she is going to show after I told her she can't have babies without brooder...

I had a lunatic like that several weeks ago and she also wanted a rooster who could also fight off dogs and wild animals and at first I thought she was being funny but after a wile I figured out she was just down right goofy .....

I had a lunatic like that several weeks ago and she also wanted a rooster who could also fight off dogs and wild animals and at first I thought she was being funny but after a wile I figured out she was just down right goofy .....  

I want one of those too!!
She didn't show. Think I scard her into reserch! I will think she will get educated and get older chicks and her toddlers won't squeeze him to death..

I bought them 5/14/14 so they are only 4 weeks old now. They sill have at least another 4 weeks before they are ready to process...more likely 6 weeks. They should have plenty of time to have it out of their system by then, shouldn't they?

Oh yes! It would not matter anyway. There is no with draw period with corid.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am so glad that I am not the only one out here who gasps in surprise at some of the things people will do or say but I am also glad BYC is here for the hopes that some of these people can spend the time to get some kind of education about caring for poultry or other live stock ....

Some funny people out there in this world ( for sure ) as my grand kids say lol ....

Thanks Vicki. It was really sad to see find her dead, but I'm glad that I was able to send her in for a free necropsy. It only cost $17 for shipping using their FedEx account number.

Quote: Good to know. Thanks for the info. I will go back to the 1.5 tsp/gal. Should I treat the quail with the preventative dose? Or do I need to treat them at all?

Thanks Vicki. It was really sad to see find her dead, but I'm glad that I was able to send her in for a free necropsy. It only cost $17 for shipping using their FedEx account number.
It was money well spent. If I lose another of the Cornish X I will probably send it in too, just to be sure I am treating for the right thing. It is very good price for peace if mind!

Back
Top Bottom