California - Northern

No pics yet but I can tell you that the second chick has fluffed and is blue and red
love.gif
I am going to as papabrooder about the blue and red one since this was from his BBS pen but I am not even a little bit sorry about the coloring!!!

@ronott1 I have heard all kinds of crazy theories for trying to insure more girls than boys. Thanks for your easily understood explanation.

I hesitate to say it b/c she has toyed with me for so long and so many times but it is possible I will have a broody to cover those chicks when they hatch. She is huge and can cover probably 13+ So that is great news!

For anyone who has grafted chicks on to a broody/or left a broody on golf balls longer than a week or so, will she stay?? I always feel like they get more serious when I give them eggs. Like the puff and growl on the golf balls but the pecking starts when they get they eggs. She will be on golf balls for about 3 weeks. If she is still on the nest tomorrow I am tempted to give her a couple of eggs and hope there is a broody to pass them off to when I go pick up the hatch from Ron....am I worrying for nothing? I tend to.

I am glad that the explanation was understandable. I do try to make sense with my posts.
Sybil and Elanor both sat on empty nest boxes for 2+ weeks. I gave them each foster chicks in the middle of the night, but Elanor abandoned hers within an hour and went back to roosting with the other girls. Sybil stuck with hers though, and still has three little fluff balls following her around. :)

Edith and Rosie have now decided they want to sit on empty nests, so I'm going to have to decide what to do with them. They are losing weight, so I should decide soon.
I have a Wheaten Penedesenca that did not want the chicks. She kept screaming at me to get her out of the pet carrier I was trying to use. I will try again with some eggs that I am hatching this week. She may do the same thing--abandon the chicks and either stay broody or go join the flock. I have a Blue Australorp that has stayed on the nest for a week twice this year and then jumps off and quits.

My Blue Barnveldner is the first good broody and good at raising the chicks. You just never know I Guess.

Haven't posted in a while :)

Things are good here, lost a few birds to a neighbors dogs but we caught them on the game cam and the neighbor replaced the birds and updated his caretaking of his dogs.

We had 14 chicks hatch out again with 2 broodies. They are doing well.

I'm looking to get some turkeys soon. Anyone here have turkeys?
I think @PetRock's farm friends have Turkeys where exactly are you.

So in love with these poults. They chow down on carrot tops, cucumbers, & meal worms already.

Out of 8 eggs, I have 4 live ones. 1 egg was crushed or eaten early on, 1 partially pipped then died, 1 late quitter (fully formed but no yolk absorbed), & the last one had grey soup with black nuggets (?!?). Nasty.

So in love with these poults. They chow down on carrot tops, cucumbers, & meal worms already.

Out of 8 eggs, I have 4 live ones. 1 egg was crushed or eaten early on, 1 partially pipped then died, 1 late quitter (fully formed but no yolk absorbed), & the last one had grey soup with black nuggets (?!?). Nasty.
Did you give them some chick grit or play sand?

Someone was asking who had turkeys today. Now we know!

Poults are so cute!

Nice job with the camera. Glad your neighbor stepped up to the plate.

I just had 4 lovely standard bronze turkeys hatch last Sat. The eggs were from someone here. I cant remember their online name but I'll bet they'll pick up if they have more available.

Standard Bronze is what I wanted but I just ordered 12 Bourbon red eggs to hatch out.

Did you give them some chick grit or play sand?

Someone was asking who had turkeys today. Now we know!

Poults are so cute!
Dont know how the 2 that I carried to Jules faired heard one wasnt eating. But they had berry stains all over their beaks when they were picked up from the farm. They are cute.

If anyone is interested, Meyer's Hatchery has free shipping on their brown egg layer pullets assortment. I am going to pass, since I still am wanting to try some cuckoo silkie eggs from Papa Brooder next month, hopefully. Keep laying, cuckoo silkies!

If anyone is interested, Meyer's Hatchery has free shipping on their brown egg layer pullets assortment. I am going to pass, since I still am wanting to try some cuckoo silkie eggs from Papa Brooder next month, hopefully. Keep laying, cuckoo silkies!
Thanks!

I will pass too--I have a Brown, Chocolate brown, Olive colored and blue egg assortment going into the incubator tonight or tomorrow.

Pita Pinta
Partridge Rock
Second generation Crele Penedesenca x Cream Legbar
Cream legbar

I will try to get a picture of the eggs before I set them.

Back
Top Bottom