California - Northern

I got my first chicken and supplies from Mill Valley Chickens. I read on their website, and the owner's little daughter also told me, that scratch is like potato chips for chickens, and they should not get too much of that treat. Well, I didn't have much of a problem their, because chicken scratch seemed to be one of their least favorite foods.

I've been keeping the chicken scratch in a plastic bag in a galvanized trash can. I'm not careful about the plastic bag and it stays open sometimes. Today I found that the bag was infested with weevils. My chickens ignore ants, so I didn't think they would be interested in weevils. It seems that they can't get enough of the weevils. I left out the bag of scratch, and, for the most part, the chickens ignore the grains and pick out the weevils. The Australorp is the one that eats as many as she can find, but I've also seen the Welsummer and Crested Cream Legbars pecking at them.

chickens can get crop bound from the webs that the weevils leave in the grain.

It is not a good idea to feed weevil infested feed to chickens. The grain is also spoiled and can have a toxin in it--like the ones that died up in Oregon last week.

chickens can get crop bound from the webs that the weevils leave in the grain.

It is not a good idea to feed weevil infested feed to chickens. The grain is also spoiled and can have a toxin in it--like the ones that died up in Oregon last week.
Thanks for the advice. I'll get rid of the infested scratch. No other feed was infested (feed is in a different container). The chickens mostly waited for the weevils to fall to the ground before pecking at them.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get rid of the infested scratch. No other feed was infested (feed is in a different container). The chickens mostly waited for the weevils to fall to the ground before pecking at them.

The weevils are fine for them.

Pick up some pantry moth traps and put one near where the feed is stored. It might be a good idea to get one for the pantry where the flour and grains are kept.

OSH sells them in packs of two. They are very effective in keeping the weevils at bay.

Good news: I set 23 eggs today. 15 Golden Lakenvelders and 8 Lavender Orpingtons.

Bad news: My ex girlfriend lives in Weed. Her house is burned down, one of her rescue's dogs is missing and several cats did not make it out of the house.

Really sorry to hear that. (ETA about your friend. Yea for eggs)

27,930 acres now

This also...another bad fire year :(
I really hope we get some rain soon.

Last edited:
Oh no! It wasn't the quail was it?
Nope! All alive and well (and I still think the noises are cute so far, haven't caught a crow yet).

Hopefully they'll do well. I had chicks get sick. It ended up being egg yolk sac infection. They were almost 2 weeks at the time.
I took them to the turlock extension for necropsy. I'd bet money it is that . You can lose some due to shipping conditions, but not usually that many.
Contact the breeder. They will work with you
I sent him a message over FaceBook. They weren't shipped through the mail, so I don't think it was shipping trauma.

I got my first chicken and supplies from Mill Valley Chickens. I read on their website, and the owner's little daughter also told me, that scratch is like potato chips for chickens, and they should not get too much of that treat. Well, I didn't have much of a problem their, because chicken scratch seemed to be one of their least favorite foods.

I've been keeping the chicken scratch in a plastic bag in a galvanized trash can. I'm not careful about the plastic bag and it stays open sometimes. Today I found that the bag was infested with weevils. My chickens ignore ants, so I didn't think they would be interested in weevils. It seems that they can't get enough of the weevils. I left out the bag of scratch, and, for the most part, the chickens ignore the grains and pick out the weevils. The Australorp is the one that eats as many as she can find, but I've also seen the Welsummer and Crested Cream Legbars pecking at them.
The little girl sounds so cute. My birds would probably enjoy the weevils, too.

I thought I'd introduce everyone to Hazel. SHE'S AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION
big_smile.png
And she's the cutest, sweetest, friendliest kitty ever. LOVES my dog and every person she's met.
/end shamless push for someone here to adopt her

But really, I love her already. I could have her for up to 8+ months, if she's not adopted by the time my ex's house is rebuilt, and I don't mind one bit. She's a sweetheart.

And a little rant to keep this chicken-related. Anyone else get super impatient and a little frustrated when your pullets reach POL? I have several at POL and every day I check the nest box AND the yard to see if there's any blue, dark brown, or cream colored eggs and so far...nada. Seriously, these guys are 5.5+ months old. CCL, BCM, BLRW. START LAYING, DANG IT.

just a fyi on the fire. For everyone that loves the Crystal Basin area.
Ice House , Union Valley , Stumpy Meadows , Loon Lake

the forest around Stumpy Meadows is gone , Ice House and Union Valley are likely next

I am sick with sadness

How awful! These places will be sorely missed... I hope they can save most of them
@CackleJoy - great pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio51

Oh no! It wasn't the quail was it?
Nope! All alive and well (and I still think the noises are cute so far, haven't caught a crow yet).

I thought I'd introduce everyone to Hazel. SHE'S AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION
big_smile.png
And she's the cutest, sweetest, friendliest kitty ever. LOVES my dog and every person she's met.
/end shamless push for someone here to adopt her

But really, I love her already. I could have her for up to 8+ months, if she's not adopted by the time my ex's house is rebuilt, and I don't mind one bit. She's a sweetheart.

And a little rant to keep this chicken-related. Anyone else get super impatient and a little frustrated when your pullets reach POL? I have several at POL and every day I check the nest box AND the yard to see if there's any blue, dark brown, or cream colored eggs and so far...nada. Seriously, these guys are 5.5+ months old. CCL, BCM, BLRW. START LAYING, DANG IT.
She is beautiful! I had a Torti named Hazel many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom