California - Northern

Broody Question:

How long can you hold a girl off before giving her eggs?

My sizzle girl is ready for motherhood again. I am going to let her hatch a little clutch of bantams but I have another girl that I partially broke meaning she is no longer officially setting but is still doing the buc buc buc thing still blown up like a balloon with feathers still racing around like she is possessed and still growling at everyone. Do you think she will probably set again?

If she decides to sit I will give her eggs from @PetRock but I don't WANT to give her eggs until after 12/2 at the earliest. DH and I will be OOT the 19-22 and I don't want anyone hatching out before then. Ideally she or someone else would time their brodiness with the New Years Hatch a long because I want to participate. But that would mean that she might have to wait 3+ weeks before she even got eggs

So would it be cruel or unwise to make a hen wait for eggs for up to 3 weeks for eggs because that fits in better with my life. Then she would be on the nest for up to 6 weeks before she got anything out of it.
ep.gif

Thanks....telll me again why did i want all these broody breeds???

Mille Fleur, Calico and Mottled Cochin cockerels for sale

Hi There,
I'm in Healdsburg, and have several bantam cochin dudes for sale. 9 weeks old, these guys are with my 5 month old Marans dude, who seems to love them. Too many, so some have to go! Hatched under two broody bantam cochins, some from my own eggs (Blue Mille Fleur Roo x MF hen and Calico hen, and some eggs that I bought (mottled & MF). All vaccinated for Mareks and healthy little guys. PM me if you want more information or are interested. $15
Dawn

Here is Ricky, Dad to some of the above chicks.

They are so cute. Really like the coloring of Ricky.
If we weren't up to the eyeballs with Marans cockerels at the moment, I would be tempted. lol

Just my experience, but, I have also noticed that whomever you put Marans cockerels in with, they usually always seem to like them. Seen that again and again. We've recently put some older cockerels in with full grown RIR roosters and females, and there wasn't even a hiccup. Also, all the hens seem to take to them as well.

Good luck!!!

They are so cute. Really like the coloring of Ricky.
If we weren't up to the eyeballs with Marans cockerels at the moment, I would be tempted. lol

Just my experience, but, I have also noticed that whomever you put Marans cockerels in with, they usually always seem to like them. Seen that again and again. We've recently put some older cockerels in with full grown RIR roosters and females, and there wasn't even a hiccup. Also, all the hens seem to take to them as well.

Good luck!!!
Nice!

We moved to Pioneer, CA at 3400 altitude. Many trees here at this property so very little sun. Our bante started molting late and today she isn't well. We brought her in by the fireplace but we don't think its the cold. She seemed ok yesterday. She is 3 yrs old.

Last edited:

Oh- thank you, Ron!

This is the cockerel I have my eye on so far. So far, he looks a lot like dad roo.

Have my fingers crossed that he can take over for dad this coming season. Dad will be in with the new pullets, with also his mom, as I would still like a few more cockerels similar in looks to this son. (Amazing how much variation there can be even in 100.)

Even though we are still in F1, am even getting excited about how the pullets are coming along, too.
Some of the pullets have become large, and have just begun to lay this last week. Many are getting well-coppered hackles. Thankfully, no golden or straw haloes issues to work through. And the new egg color (although still small pullets eggs) is as dark, or darker than their mother, so we didn't lose egg color in the first cross, which often happens during F1.

Ignore wire shadows and strange, strong yellow morning light, she is not washed out, mossy or yellow, lol.

The pullet's hackles only have a bit more to go (should also be on top of the head, above eyes as well), and a few gens of working on egg color, we should hopefully be happy campers-- assuming all goes as hoped for. lol We've found these guys can have many bumps in the road during the journey...

Oh- thank you, Ron!

This is the cockerel I have my eye on so far. So far, he looks a lot like dad roo.

Have my fingers crossed that he can take over for dad this coming season. Dad will be in with the new pullets, with also his mom, as I would still like a few more cockerels similar in looks to this son. (Amazing how much variation there can be even in 100.)

Even though we are still in F1, am even getting excited about how the pullets are coming along, too.
Some of the pullets have become large, and have just begun to lay this last week. Many are getting well-coppered hackles. Thankfully, no golden or straw haloes issues to work through. And the new egg color (although still small pullets eggs) is as dark, or darker than their mother, so we didn't lose egg color in the first cross, which often happens during F1.

Ignore wire shadows and strange, strong yellow morning light, she is not washed out, mossy or yellow, lol.

The pullet's hackles only have a bit more to go (should also be on top of the head, above eyes as well), and a few gens of working on egg color, we should hopefully be happy campers-- assuming all goes as hoped for. lol We've found these guys can have many bumps in the road during the journey...
They are very nice.

What line are they?

Back
Top Bottom