California - Northern

Hi Everyone!
yippiechickie.gif
I had a crazy good chicken weekend.
D.gif

I moved my 1st time boody into a wire kennel inside the coop. Set it up with a box lid filled with her nesting material in back and food and water towards the front. Covered the whole thing with the same fabric I used for the curtians in the nesting boxes and then cardboard over the top in case any of the little ones end up roosting on top. I kicked her outside for her daily stretch and food while I candled - still have 5 going strong! She did pace the front of the cage for a couple of minutes in protest but then settled back on her nest and seemed really happy to be able to reach the water without getting up. She was still sitting tight early this morning when I checked on her.
fl.gif

I sold 8 of my little Trader Joe's chicks and have someone coming to pick up my last 3 Marans pullets on Wednesday. I need to find homes for 2 little Bantam Cochin roos but that still gets me down to 1 brooder and 2 coops - so I guess I have room to hatch some more!
hide.gif

P.S. If anyone has hatching eggs within 1-2 hours of Chico - Please send me a PM! I am having a hard time coming up with what to hatch for the NYD hatch-a-long. I know I want some Pita Pintas, Swedish Flower Hens and Golden Cuckoo Marans at some point...

We have this one and are happy with it:
http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Truth-Cam-35-Camera/dp/B003PVGA1O

It takes video or still shots.
I'm very sorry about your hen.
sad.png
I lost my favorite hen last week to a bobcat, he ran right by me to snatch her up... and she was about 25 ft away. Its terrible to see a friend go that way. Its so heartbreaking to lose a close one so suddenly and in such a violent way. I would have felt better to have her die peacefully in a comfortable place. We need to share our homes with the wild animals who were here first. But that said, I'm beefing up my coop and not giving out anymore free meals.

Sorry to hear about the bobcat taking your favorite hen.

A good friend swears by a Truview camera, about $70.

Does anyone know what predator can take away a bird without any feather loss (beside a human?)

During a few weeks span (a month ago), we had a (supervised) freeranging chicken missing every other day (9 birds total). We couldn't figure out when, or where they were going missing, but we stepped up security all around including their fenced pens, and it still happened.

Then one day, we had only one single sign of a struggle, and found only one feather. It appeared the one hen was dragged struggling, but didn't lose feathers. The predator's prints were impossible to make out, but the best we could discern, that attack appeared four legged. Then, in the midst of the struggle, there were no more drag marks, nor any more prints. (I think the ground was harder there.) and the trail led nowhere.

We searched for hours in brush in the side lit morning sunlight and flashlights, but never found any more signs, nor even another feather. Since then, we've fenced in that area we believe they may have been abducted from. My husband believes the predators were likely eagles since we haven't seen any other prints, but I think it's something else that was carting them off.

This is the area we believe was the target area (now fenced in). Hen on the left is missing.

Strangely, we were out with them most of the day on those missing days, we haven't have seen nor heard from the chickens absolutely nothing, unless something flies overhead. So either it waited for us to go out of sight, or, it came during times we were indoors. We've searched for coyote scat and other droppings, but nothing recent. Luckily, it has been a few weeks now, and no more missing chickens. Either the predator has moved on, the fenced area keeps the chickens away from the vunerable area, or it has found an easier meal, etc. This was mystifying.

We've had ravens kill chickens in the past by falling from the sky and breaking the hen's necks. (Seen them in do this in action on more than one occasion.) Coyotes in the past who left mountains of feathers but nothing else. No raccoon or skunk issues, but chickens missing with nearly no sign, very strange.

Any thoughts?

Quote:

<edited>

We've had ravens kill chickens in the past by falling from the sky and breaking the hen's necks. (Seen them in do this in action on more than one occasion.) Coyotes in the past who left mountains of feathers but nothing else. No raccoon or skunk issues, but chickens missing with nearly no sign, very strange.

Any thoughts?
Sorry for everyone's losses, it is awful to have a bobcat attack while you are standing there, and awful to have them disappear without any clues...

Has anyone else had problems with ravens? And can you differentiate a raven from a crow for me?

I would say we have ravens in the yard, and the worst they have done is figure out my egg collection routine and steal eggs from an unattended basket. We also have hawks, and the ravens seem to protect their territory in the center of our property which benefits the chickens; not only do the ravens chase off the hawks, the chickens pay attention to the ravens as an early warning system.

Happy Thanksgiving to my northern neighbors!

I heard a b'GAWK out of one my my Marans this morning when I was out giving them their morning scoop of scratch! She did it a few times in a row, and then I didn't hear anything more out of her. She was with the rest of them, out in the run. This is the very first time I've heard more than birdie mumbling out of any of them. They were started pullets from MacMurray that arrived 9/16/14. The Marans were noticeably larger than the Delawares and Australorps, and they still are, but not as much so. Also, I'm starting to see more comb development on some of them - like on 1 each of my 3 kinds... Kinda funny looking right now. So, is the vocalization a sign of approaching maturity? Could eggs POSSIBLY be happening this winter, or should I just expect to not see any until Spring and longer days arrive, since I'm not augmenting daylight hours at all.

Melinda

I heard a b'GAWK out of one my my Marans this morning when I was out giving them their morning scoop of scratch! She did it a few times in a row, and then I didn't hear anything more out of her. She was with the rest of them, out in the run. This is the very first time I've heard more than birdie mumbling out of any of them. They were started pullets from MacMurray that arrived 9/16/14. The Marans were noticeably larger than the Delawares and Australorps, and they still are, but not as much so. Also, I'm starting to see more comb development on some of them - like on 1 each of my 3 kinds... Kinda funny looking right now. So, is the vocalization a sign of approaching maturity? Could eggs POSSIBLY be happening this winter, or should I just expect to not see any until Spring and longer days arrive, since I'm not augmenting daylight hours at all.

Melinda

Changing vocalizing is a sign of maturity but the bokking we call the egg song is also the alert noise they make. It is not always associated with egg laying.

We do not have enough light now for a lot of breeds to start laying. Chickens are very light sensitive for egg laying and need 12 plus hours of light to lay eggs. Some breeds like the rocks can lay at lower light levels. Marans seem to be one of the breeds that can be sensitive to light.

Look for them squatting(look for egg squat) when you either walk by or reach down to touch them. That is what they do for mating so they often will not do that if there is a Rooster. Seeing them mating is the same though.

Their combs and wattles will get big and red.

They will start investigating the nest box. Often they will rip it up too. They will also start the egg song repeatedly sometimes.

Do not expect them to lay eggs until the day time light levels go up though.

that confirms it, ravens here
my husband has always insisted that they could attack the chickens, I guess I should not be so quick to disagree with him...
They could but the usually do not. I have read about them running off hawks.

Ravens are more "opportunistic" eaters.

Melinda
I've had Marans from a few different lines, and the pullets tend to be very vocal anyways. I've had some girls that developed combs early along with the boys, but the comb development slowed down later. I love the description of a Marans as a self propelled bowling ball, I think I heard it from @ one chick two =) They seem to be very attracted to people (or is it just the treats?) and are quite personable. Mine mix well with a large mixed flock as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom