California - Northern

Sorry to hear about the bobcat taking your favorite hen.

A good friend swears by a Truview camera, about $70.

Does anyone know what predator can take away a bird without any feather loss (beside a human?)

During a few weeks span (a month ago), we had a (supervised) freeranging chicken missing every other day (9 birds total). We couldn't figure out when, or where they were going missing, but we stepped up security all around including their fenced pens, and it still happened.

Then one day, we had only one single sign of a struggle, and found only one feather. It appeared the one hen was dragged struggling, but didn't lose feathers. The predator's prints were impossible to make out, but the best we could discern, that attack appeared four legged. Then, in the midst of the struggle, there were no more drag marks, nor any more prints. (I think the ground was harder there.) and the trail led nowhere.

We searched for hours in brush in the side lit morning sunlight and flashlights, but never found any more signs, nor even another feather. Since then, we've fenced in that area we believe they may have been abducted from. My husband believes the predators were likely eagles since we haven't seen any other prints, but I think it's something else that was carting them off.

This is the area we believe was the target area (now fenced in). Hen on the left is missing.

Strangely, we were out with them most of the day on those missing days, we haven't have seen nor heard from the chickens absolutely nothing, unless something flies overhead. So either it waited for us to go out of sight, or, it came during times we were indoors. We've searched for coyote scat and other droppings, but nothing recent. Luckily, it has been a few weeks now, and no more missing chickens. Either the predator has moved on, the fenced area keeps the chickens away from the vunerable area, or it has found an easier meal, etc. This was mystifying.

We've had ravens kill chickens in the past by falling from the sky and breaking the hen's necks. (Seen them in do this in action on more than one occasion.) Coyotes in the past who left mountains of feathers but nothing else. No raccoon or skunk issues, but chickens missing with nearly no sign, very strange.

Any thoughts?
sorry. Id say Bobcat but foxes can get over and under fences pretty easy

does any one know who has frizzled cochins our way? I have a local friend that is looking for some.
I could probably hatch eggs for her if needed as well.
If so please pm your contact info and ill get it to her.
Thanks

sorry. Id say Bobcat but foxes can get over and under fences pretty easy

Thanks so very much!

The fences will also be live shortly we hope. All the fence lines are fortified underneath.

Is there even a way to cover multiple acre area pens without being prohibitively expensive? Just curious if this is even possible.

Also, does anyone know of a reasonable bulk source for field pasture seed that can be fed to chickens in No. Cal?
Harmony in Seb. can supply some, but I'm sure there is probably better sources hiding. Internet shipping can be more costly than the seed sometimes.

Thanks, and enjoy your turkey day!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am totally stuffed!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom