California - Northern

Got my Spot Check today....I was very happy to see that my digital incubators and aftermarket thermometer/hygrometers are pretty accurate! Now I can stop stressing so much!
yesss.gif

The vaccine that we can use is a live vaccine--it gives the chicks a mild case of mareks to help them build resistance. The hatcheries get a dead vaccine which is based on the strain that is most destructive.

From what I have read, the vaccine will lower mareks cancer by about 3% so instead of 6% of two year old hens dying of cancer, 3% die of cancer. Either way, a home flock will have hens die of cancer.
The best we can do is keep our flock healthy and try to use resistant breeds and lines.

Chickens just die sometimes and they are not particularly long lived.

I read Black Hen Farm's rescue website that chickens can live as long as 25 years! I would love to know what breeds THOSE chickens are - haha! Someone said they had a Silkie live to 17 years - now that's GOT to be a record for a Silkie! I know Production birds like Leghorns have a high mortality due to 45% contracting reproductive/ovarian tumors/cancers by aged 4 -- yet if they make it past that critical 4th year can go on being productive layers into their 5th up to 8th years (of course taking into consideration that all hens lay 20% less eggs each successive year).

Last edited:
Anyone know of a small to medium sized bator that's not Styrofoam and still under $150 that is still being manufactured for sale and available in stores or online, I need one for a Hatcher and my kitty cats have destroyed my last two little giants, thankfully my cabinet bator is made of sturdier stuff. I know I could just switch off the turner and hand turn everybody else but I've gotten a bit spoiled and much busier then last season, and I've convinced my enabler that I need a separate set up for hatching because he wants me to keep the cabinet full of eggs =D

For all those worried about " … will my chicken ever lay an egg … "

This Welsumer is about 56 weeks old and laid her first egg today. She started an egg song in the fall, but stopped when the days grew shorter. Recently she started the egg song again, and then began squatting this past week.

Her comb and wattles remained small, but just started growing a bit larger. She has always been a slow, picky eater, but recently has become more enthusiastic about eating. She still doesn't compare to her buddies, who eat as fast as they can (while managing to stay a bit smaller), but now comes to dried mealworm snacks offered by hand (whereas previously, she might take them if offered by someone on the other side of a wire screen).

Does anyone breed heritage bantams? As much as I love full sized I thought a bantam takes up less space would be a better pet. But I love the look of the heritage breeds, so does anyone know of anyone who does? Also I like the size of the heritage bantams. I'd love a sussex bantam, or barred rock bantam but I am open to other breeds.

Back
Top Bottom