California - Northern

Ooh
We live outside city limits of Nevada City but could meet someone in downtown Nevada City or Grass Valley (Sierra Nevada foothills). I will also be in the Central Valley this weekend to visit family. Could meet someone in the Manteca to Merced area. 
I'm in the merced area =D and I have two broodies that are ready for egg =)

I just called my local feed store that carries Belt Hatchery stock out of Fresno to add a few chicks to my hatching this weekend. Was told all chicks were being shipped back east due to frost losses their and could not get any till June.

That's interesting because I was at our feed store today (SoCal) and they received 100 new chicks from Belt today (White Silkies, Delawares, Red Sexlink, and Barred Rocks). Cutest little buggers but I felt sorry for them because these feed store people are heartless - didn't even bother to beak-dip the chicks in water! "Oh, we don't ever lose chicks" was the hurried heartless answer. Yeah, right! I go to that feed store because they are the only one near us that carries the organic chick starter seed mix and organic layer seed mix. Wish I didn't have to use them at all and I would never get chicks from them after that hearless dumping of chicks into a glass brooder divided in half so that only 4 baby bunnies had the other side while 50 chicks were crowded in the other half. Another brooder at the front of the store had the other crowded 50 chicks. Why do people - especially feed store people - view the little peeps as JUST chickens? Most feed store personnel can't even tell you or help you with anything you ask - sometimes not even about the products they carry! OK, my 2 minutes of rant are up!

I was surprised today that my grown hens did not like this 6wk. male chick I have! I was holding him and they raised their feathers and tried to attack!

My friend had to separate her cockerels from the older hens. Hens can really throttle an inexperienced cockerel and she learned quickly to separate out her young males.

Hi,
I have four extra Dominique hatching eggs that we ordered from Nantahala Farms if anyone wants them. We had them express shipped so they should be good for a few days. We live in Nevada City. My husband thinks we should make an omelet, but I'm already thinking of them as pets. :) Anyway, just PM me if you would like them and can pick them up (we can meet you in town).
Emily

OMG! Doms! Wish I could have them but I don't hatch or raise chicks. I received 2 new juvie pullets (Blue Amer and Blue Breda) yesterday from my breeder and am at my allowed zoned limit! I hope you find a good home for the Doms - it is very difficult to come across them.

Morning everyone!

I need some quick direction - I hatched a group of chicks over the weekend and 2 of them had wry neck and I've had a few paste up (more then I ususally do). I had some bad temperature swings during incubation so I chalk it up to that. When I got home last night another chick was "somersaulting" for lack of a better word. It would put it's head down and flip over; then stand back up and do it again. It seemed to be trying to peck at the floor before the flip. 1 eye had some crustys so I cleaned it and dropped Vetrycin eye med and put it back in the brooder hoping it was just an eye irritation. It's still doing the same this morning so I gave it some Nutri-drench.

Is there something besides incubation problems or vitamin deficancy that would cause these symptems? (I"m not seeing any bloody poo.)

I'm supposed to be taking some of the chicks to a new home this weekend and don't want risk spreading something.

Nor cal here too. Mendocino County , Redwood Valley to be exact.
frow.gif
Nice place to live. Welcome!

@ronott1 and you hatchaholics, I have a question. I set eggs late on the afternoon of Sunday March 22. So, I count Monday March 23 as Day 1, correct?

I'm trying to make sure of which day to move them to the hatcher. I downloaded 2 apps to help remind me. Hatchabatch and iHatch. Both are saying Sunday March 22 is Day 1, so moving to the hatcher is a day ahead of when I think it should be. Does anyone use these apps?

Ron, I also wondered about eggs hatching a day early. I'm cleaning my office, so don't have my notes in front of me, but I seem to remember some early hatches.

What do you all think?

frow.gif
Nice place to live. Welcome!

@ronott1 and you hatchaholics, I have a question. I set eggs late on the afternoon of Sunday March 22. So, I count Monday March 23 as Day 1, correct?

I'm trying to make sure of which day to move them to the hatcher. I downloaded 2 apps to help remind me. Hatchabatch and iHatch. Both are saying Sunday March 22 is Day 1, so moving to the hatcher is a day ahead of when I think it should be. Does anyone use these apps?

Ron, I also wondered about eggs hatching a day early. I'm cleaning my office, so don't have my notes in front of me, but I seem to remember some early hatches.

What do you all think?

Day 18 is April 9. You can set them up for hatching on the ninth or tenth.

The dorkings and Dels were on time so they will start hatching between day 20 and 21. They both hatched over an average time too so the hatch should be over 24 hours after the first one hatches.

fl.gif

I have 7 out this morning with a lot of pips!

Day 18 is April 9. You can set them up for hatching on the ninth or tenth.

The dorkings and Dels were on time so they will start hatching between day 20 and 21. They both hatched over an average time too so the hatch should be over 24 hours after the first one hatches.

fl.gif

I have 7 out this morning with a lot of pips!

Thanks! Congrats on the chicks!

I'm in Sonoma County, near Petaluma (the former "Egg Basket of the World" but now home to a dwindling number of abandoned henhouses) in a very rural area surrounded by vineyards.

There's a small organic chicken farm down the road, and my great-grandparents used to have all their own livestock. Unfortunately the chickenhouses fell into disrepair and had to be torn down, but now I'm starting up the chickens again with a new coop!

I got my six chicks (2 RIR, 2 NHR, 2 Cuckoo Maran) from Western Farm Supply in Santa Rosa on the 10th, and I think they said they had got the chicks from Belt Hatchery, but I'm not sure. I also got some organic chick starter there, which they seem to like. The staff were very helpful and polite as well.

Anyone have any feed store recommendations for Sonoma County or the greater Bay Area? Or any sources for chicks and hens?

Im up a lil past Ukiah. Calpella/Redwood Valley ( Im on the line) There are lots of back yard chicken people here. Most of on a larger scale out in the valleys.

Do you breed or sell or know anyone who does ? Always looking to expand.

Nor cal here too. Mendocino County , Redwood Valley to be exact.
Hi I am in Lakeport! Welcome and if you are on FB please check out the FB page Lake County California Chicken Peeps.
big_smile.png
we share info and sales and all kinds of things over there and have people from outside the LC too.

Back
Top Bottom