California - Northern

Hi,
I have four extra Dominique hatching eggs that we ordered from Nantahala Farms if anyone wants them. We had them express shipped so they should be good for a few days. We live in Nevada City. My husband thinks we should make an omelet, but I'm already thinking of them as pets. :) Anyway, just PM me if you would like them and can pick them up (we can meet you in town).
Emily
No room for them in the incubator? I would pop them in. You never know how many will actually hatch!

And welcome to the thread!!

Nor cal here too. Mendocino County , Redwood Valley to be exact.

Welcome! Looks like a great week for new friends!
Quote: That is good to know, Chickee! There is "Star-gazing" in finches too, but it is usually an inner ear issue or a virus. With them, the head goes over backwards or twists to one side completely upside down.

OK...I finally got a gallon of Oxine and want to use it to clean out the hatcher so I can move the next batch over. I have been using diluted bleach and spraying it on with a spray bottle up to now, then rinsing after about 10 minutes. I did not get the activator. The directions on the bottle do not say how to use it for that. Can I do it the same way? Full strength or diluted? How long do I leave it on? Any other pertinent info?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds maybe like star gazers (Thiamine deficiency) so egg yoke, yeast (vitamin B) polyvisol, alfalfa powder (health food store) and finely ground 7 grain cereal (health food store) can help.

Good luck with them!
Thank you! I have most of that at home so I'll give it a shot. On the yeast - brewers or nutritianal?

Hello All,
I agree with the tentative diagnosis of Chickee. The problem is that the behavior interferes with their ability to feed quite often. So if we are correct I would recommend a gentle feeding of a B Complex LIQUID suspension that is partially diluted. Feed in small amounts to prevent choking by force feeding with an pipette (eye dropper). TIP: It helps to keep in mind that the entrance way into the gullet (esophagus) of all birds is on its right side of the entrance inside the beak. With care and a plastic pipette one can actually slip the tip into that orifice and by gentle pressure on the rubber bulb one can avoid the danger of creating induced pneumonia. (Always one must avoid forcing a fluid into the lungs of any creature; in an ideal world that should be understood without saying.) It is best to have an accomplice secure the bird while you as the operator hold the beak open with one hand while operating the eye dropper with the other. This tip is extremely handy for those endeavoring to rear foster birds. After a while one gets so adept at the procedure that one can work alone. This process, in time, is often enhanced by the birdie who suddenly realizes that there is food in the offing and therefore begins to enthusiastically go along cooperating with the procedure. And they begin to ingest the food offered without having to be force fed any longer. It also imprints the bird to us as an alien species making great pets out of them. This is how purposefully orphaned altricial infant birds are reared for the pet trade from day one. Shhh…this is our secret, okay?
Best wishes to all,
Neal, the Zooman

Hello All,
I agree with the tentative diagnosis of Chickee. The problem is that the behavior interferes with their ability to feed quite often. So if we are correct I would recommend a gentle feeding of a B Complex LIQUID suspension that is partially diluted. Feed in small amounts to prevent choking by force feeding with an pipette (eye dropper). TIP: It helps to keep in mind that the entrance way into the gullet (esophagus) of all birds is on its right side of the entrance inside the beak. With care and a plastic pipette one can actually slip the tip into that orifice and by gentle pressure on the rubber bulb one can avoid the danger of creating induced pneumonia. (Always one must avoid forcing a fluid into the lungs of any creature; in an ideal world that should be understood without saying.) It is best to have an accomplice secure the bird while you as the operator hold the beak open with one hand while operating the eye dropper with the other. This tip is extremely handy for those endeavoring to rear foster birds. After a while one gets so adept at the procedure that one can work alone. This process, in time, is often enhanced by the birdie who suddenly realizes that there is food in the offing and therefore begins to enthusiastically go along cooperating with the procedure. And they begin to ingest the food offered without having to be force fed any longer. It also imprints the bird to us as an alien species making great pets out of them. This is how purposefully orphaned altricial infant birds are reared for the pet trade from day one. Shhh…this is our secret, okay?
Best wishes to all,
Neal, the Zooman
Thank you Neal!

Use nutritional--for your flock too. The deficiency that causes wry neck often comes from the breeder flock.
Good info - Thank you! Am I remembering correctly that Thiamine deficency can also be caused by medicated feed? (I am currently feeded un-medicated starter)

Funny thing, I actually took nutrituional yeast as a supplement when I was pregnant -it worked wonders on morning sickness.

Back
Top Bottom