California - Northern

Hello Again, Amy Paper Lady, et al!,
I have a hen that was given to me a couple years ago who takes no stuff from any of the other hens, or cockerels for that matter. Personality wrapped in feathers, she is. She is akin to your Frieda in some respects. Probably about her size given that she is a bit larger than than the hefty of bantams. Has a bit more of a fancy feather pattern, with what looks like a not quite finished top knot. She lays a medium sized white egg and is strictly business. Maybe the white egg is a clue to her heritage. She is a chatterbox always something unfathomable to say. Strictly a hunch but I think that she might go broody if given a clutch of eggs and a bit of privacy. Is that how you would handle it? Despite her strong personality she is not a bully, thank goodness, just doesn't cotton to pushiness from any of the others. What's funny is if the rare squabble breaks out among any of the others, she rushes in like a traffic cop and quells the riot. Funny and entertaining to see the back yard dynamics. And she ain't no spring chicken either. Stay well all!
Neal, the Zooman

Thanks, Kathy!   I will  definitely do that!
What breed is it?   Looks a lot like a Cornish X.  I would keep him longer to grow out.  I would definitely NOT let the hens do it. 

YEAH, Frieda!   My Blue girl in on some nice dark BC Marans eggs from @dldolan
 .   SHe said to tell you, "Thanks", Dawn !!!  :clap
Glad I could make her happy! :D

Last edited:

Frieda's finally on fertile eggs.

Congrats! She is darling good luck with her hatch. I hope you have 100%

I have 4 broodies right now. 2 will get my Houdans that should be here this week
fl.gif
One is on my first batch of New Hampshire eggs plus a few sex links and the other I want to get CCL eggs for.

I am really sorry. Someone on here reached out to me about CCL eggs and I forget who you were. @JDXX were you the one who contacted me?
idunno.gif
Looking to hatch from a line that is more on the grey/silver side rather than brown. If that describes your flock please PM me. My broody played around for a few days but has been on the nest for 24 hours at this point. I am ready to order eggs Tuesday if she sticks. This is her 4th go and she is a really good mama.

Thanks!

Well today I join the ranks of the completely insane. I'm doing a test hatch of the Incubator Neil bought. I set 48 eggs today.

4 RIR
9 Silkie
11 Delaware (mixed pen still so not sure parents)
24 RIR over White Leghorn Hybrid

Ive caught the bug

Hello Again, Amy Paper Lady, et al!,
I have a hen that was given to me a couple years ago who takes no stuff from any of the other hens, or cockerels for that matter.  Personality wrapped in feathers, she is. She is akin to your Frieda in some respects. Probably about her size given that she is a bit larger than than the hefty of bantams. Has a bit more of a fancy feather pattern, with what looks like a not quite finished top knot. She lays a medium sized white egg and is strictly business. Maybe the white egg is a clue to her heritage.  She is a chatterbox always something unfathomable to say.  Strictly a hunch but I think that she might go broody if given a clutch of eggs and a bit of privacy. Is that how you would handle it?  Despite her strong personality she is not a bully, thank goodness, just doesn't cotton to pushiness from any of the others.  What's funny is if the rare squabble breaks out among any of the others, she rushes in like a traffic cop and quells the riot.  Funny and entertaining to see the back yard dynamics. And she ain't no spring chicken either.  Stay well all!
Neal, the Zooman

I don't know how to encourage broodiness unless a chicken is already showing signs of heading that way anyway--as far as that goes, I may not have had anything to do with the timing :lol:

I couldn't do it. Is it inhumane to have my big hens do the job for me? Is it horrible?
I do not find processing even a young cockerel horrible. It can be tough to follow through with the first time. I think death by pecking order would be rather horrible for the poor bird. Unlike us, the hens do not have the means to end it quickly or without protracted terrorizing.

Well today I join the ranks of the completely insane. I'm doing a test hatch of the Incubator Neil bought. I set 48 eggs today.

4 RIR
9 Silkie
11 Delaware (mixed pen still so not sure parents)
24 RIR over White Leghorn Hybrid

Ive caught the bug
Darn it! After all this time we've been trying, Neil is the one who finally tipped you into crazy chicken person territory. I really wanted the trophy, too.

It'll be interesting to see how the RIR/Leghorns turn it, which characteristics they take from each breed.

I don't know how to encourage broodiness unless a chicken is already showing signs of heading that way anyway--as far as that goes, I may not have had anything to do with the timing
I swear that my girls go broody as soon as I move the first group of chicks into the outdoor brooders. I wonder if it is hearing those cute little peeps that turns on the mama instincts?! This year, I had one pullet go broody and after her chicks hatched, the other pullets sta rted going broody one after another. First I had 1. Then I had 3. Then there were 6. And now I have 3 mamas with chicks and 9 broodies! Arghhhh! I love Mamas and babies but this is insane! Some of these girls are not breeds that normally go broody. 2 of my 3 Bresse are broody and 4 of my big Langshan pullets. I was getting ready to put the Langshan in with my big blue cockerel and now they are on egg laying strike!

I think you are right...they hear the peeping and BAM! Broody hormones kick in. My little bantam cochins cycle through on the most regular schedule, though! Sweet little girls. Too bad they can only sit on 4 LF eggs at a time! Last time I snuck four extra chicks under one little gal when she hatched 4 LF (for the first 10 days)! But I knew I was selling some, so they just got a good start in life with a mama...

I agree with you folks that there may be more to this broodiness thing than just breast pressure by a
threshold number of eggs. Various birds may be affected by a variety of stimuli. So motherhood may
be contagious? It makes sense to me…
Neal, the Zooman

Back
Top Bottom