California - Northern

Hello I'm curious how all the Californians are dealing with the drought? We haven't been hit as hard as the rest of the state has but we live in a pretty wet spot.

I don't know where you live but here in Turlock we are concerned. They cut our pasture irrigation in half last year & tripled the price this year. I told my husband I am totally willing the let the lawns go if necessary. We do have a vegetable garden & fruit trees that I want to maintain and favored areas in the yard with plants. We are watchful more than ever. We have a high water table here but I know a couple not too far away that lost their wells last year.

It wasn't altitude change but the stress of the flight and USPS that brought on a case of coccidiosis and he didn't want her to succumb to CRD which is so easily contracted by chickens in stress -- so I have liquid Baytril for her for 7 days.
Once you have given a chicken Baytril, you should never eat her eggs or meat. Baytril is banned in use in poultry because it causes antibiotic resistance in humans. This is a serious issue and should not be ignored.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/ucm042004.htm

I wish I could borrow one of those broodies. I have eggs about to hatch in a few days (hopefully).
Wouldn't that be nice.
smile.png

Hello I'm curious how all the Californians are dealing with the drought? We haven't been hit as hard as the rest of the state has but we live in a pretty wet spot.

Where are you located? I am in the eastern foothills in Paradise. We have not had strict water regulations here because we have your own water supply (Paradise Lake/Magalia Dam), but we have been reducing even without restrictions. I used to wash down my bird flights (I rise finches outside) weekly, but cut back to once a month with sweeping in between. For their health, I have to wash the flights at least monthly since bird poop sticks to everything worse than chicken poop!) Shorter showers, Letting it "Mellow", water once a week instead of 3 times. As much of our landscaping is on drip as possible. The problem I have with the new requirements is that many people have already cut back significantly over the last few years and now they are being told to cut back even more. There does come a point where you really can't cut back any more and stay healthy. It seems more reasonable to allot a certain number of gallons per household or person.
Quote: Once you have given a chicken Baytril, you should never eat her eggs or meat. Baytril is banned in use in poultry because it causes antibiotic resistance in humans. This is a serious issue and should not be ignored.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/ucm042004.htm
Does the Baytril stay in the chickens system permanently? I can see a long withdrawal (-6-8 weeks or so), but permanent seems extreme. I did have time to read all the linked documents, but did not see anything right off the bat that indicated it stayed in the system for the life of the chicken.

Does the Baytril stay in the chickens system permanently? I can see a long withdrawal (-6-8 weeks or so), but permanent seems extreme. I did have time to read all the linked documents, but did not see anything right off the bat that indicated it stayed in the system for the life of the chicken.
It must or they would simply have a withdrawal period.

I'm a child of the drought, so my life has always been influenced by it. I have high efficiency everything. I turn off taps when I brush my teeth or scrub a pot. I have no lawn. Aside from my Meyer lemon tree, everything in the garden is drought tolerant natives or Mediterranean (and my garden is only 10' x 6'; rest of the yard is patio or chicken space.

I have rain barrels. I put a 5G bucket in the sink/tub when waiting for water to heat up and use that in the garden or to flush the toilet.

I'm thinking about switching laundry detergents so I can use the grey water in the garden. I'd also LOVE to get a grey water shower system that I could then reuse in the toilet and garden, but so far I haven't found one that works for my situation and is legal here (which is OUTRAGEOUS!).

I use under 30G a day, which puts me waaaaaay under the norm, even here in the Bay where our usage is already the lowest in the state (or it was last time I looked).

...Does the Baytril stay in the chickens system permanently? I can see a long withdrawal (-6-8 weeks or so), but permanent seems extreme. I did have time to read all the linked documents, but did not see anything right off the bat that indicated it stayed in the system for the life of the chicken.
Good Question!

There is a vet school student that suggested two months was long enough, and my vet says one month.

-Kathy
Thanks!

A lot of things have a long withdrawl because they are off label for chickens. There are also the Organic rules--can't sell them after use as organic ever.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom