California - Northern

So, it's (recalculated) day 21 on the eggs that got abandoned (day 23, old reckoning) and I don't hear any peeping or see any movement. Granted, I'm stuck in another room doing an online job, but I do stick my ear on the incubator and stare at the eggs through the window every time I pass, as long as there's no one watching
hide.gif
Should I candle again tonight? Should I do a float test? I'm leaving anything not stinky until Saturday, regardless. Since that would be (recalculated) day 25 (day 27, old reckoning) I figure that if there're no pips by then, there's no hope, and I'll need to stock up on kleenex for the 6-year-old, at the least. This would probably be easier if she hadn't leapt out of bed this morning (not usual behavior!) because the calendar says "Chicks"...

So, it's (recalculated) day 21 on the eggs that got abandoned (day 23, old reckoning) and I don't hear any peeping or see any movement. Granted, I'm stuck in another room doing an online job, but I do stick my ear on the incubator and stare at the eggs through the window every time I pass, as long as there's no one watching
hide.gif
Should I candle again tonight? Should I do a float test? I'm leaving anything not stinky until Saturday, regardless. Since that would be (recalculated) day 25 (day 27, old reckoning) I figure that if there're no pips by then, there's no hope, and I'll need to stock up on kleenex for the 6-year-old, at the least. This would probably be easier if she hadn't leapt out of bed this morning (not usual behavior!) because the calendar says "Chicks"...

I would candle and test for life--you don't always hear peeps though.

Y'all know I love me some showgirls but I must say that this one is pretty funny-looking...

There's this weird bald patch on the front of it's head above the comb & tufts just above the nostrils.

Maybe I'll call it Igor.

Watch out! Those ugly ducklings can turn into Swans! At the very least there'll be less "hair" in it's face for better vision?

Hello ... Any Bay Area fokes want 4 lovely chickens ? They have been laying for 1 year friendly and have been around kids and dogs been eating only organic ....I'd like them to go to a home where they can free range and will be loved

Hello ... Any Bay Area fokes want 4 lovely chickens ? They have been laying for 1 year friendly and have been around kids and dogs been eating only organic ....I'd like them to go to a home where they can free range and will be loved

Try craigslist; I sold 2 hens last weekend and I got SO many responses after just a couple of hours.

Thank you for the welcomes, everyone! :)

@Audio51 I'm pretty sure that's the cutest thing I've ever seen. Definitely in the top 10. :) I'm also swooning over your hen, is that an Orpington? Or a Wyandotte? It's so fluffy!!! I have a little blue orpington who sadly I think is a male. It's only sad because I can't keep roos, and I am desperate for a blue orpington (and a lavender). He is only 3 weeks, and I realize that is early, but either he's a male or it's a female with about 17 copies of the slow feathering gene.
roll.png

@Chrysolinsbirds how fun that our kids are about the same age! It's not every day that you meet others with their own little herds of children. :)

Here is my suspect blue orp. He is 3 weeks old, and is huge. He looks like a monster sized 3 day old chick, lol! His name is Frank, and naturally, he is everyone's favorite. Sigh. Anyone ever have a late blooming orpington that ended up being a girl?

I also have a very suspect light brahma. Sigh.

Last edited:
Just getting into chickens, husband finally gave in. We now have 24 chicks age range 3 weeks - 8 weeks, buff Wyandotte, buff cochin (cockerel), barred rock, EE, RIR, New Hampshire. My daughter loves then so much she wants to show poultry for 4H. So now need to get some show quality birds for her.

Back
Top Bottom