California - Northern

Here is my suspect blue orp. He is 3 weeks old, and is huge. He looks like a monster sized 3 day old chick, lol! His name is Frank, and naturally, he is everyone's favorite. Sigh. Anyone ever have a late blooming orpington that ended up being a girl?

I also have a very suspect light brahma. Sigh.
For orpingting and brahma, they do not have cockerel wattles or combs yet. Their legs do not look big like boys legs either.

If you bought them as pullets, that is likely what you have.

Cute!

For orpingting and brahma, they do not have cockerel wattles or combs yet. Their legs do not look big like boys legs either.

If you bought them as pullets, that is likely what you have.

Cute!

Thank you! Frank is a straight run chick, he is from Papa's Poultry. You are right about the legs, I've been watching them and they are just as thin as my 4 week old chocolate orpington (who is a sex linked female). But, I'm not holding my breath. I am hopeful though!! :)

Just getting into chickens, husband finally gave in. We now have 24 chicks age range 3 weeks - 8 weeks, buff Wyandotte, buff cochin (cockerel), barred rock, EE, RIR, New Hampshire. My daughter loves then so much she wants to show poultry for 4H. So now need to get some show quality birds for her.

Well... I might have a lovely 100% english blue orpington cockerel available! LOL! :)

Ameraucanas & Olive eggers (also courtesy of @chickee )
4 Ams, 1 OE who can't stand up (neurological issues I think)

4 more Ams

OE

OE (neat wing feathering so far)

OE

Mama tolbunt polish taking her 10 seramas for a walk - not sure what flared mama

Mama Modern game & her 13 silkies (9 are showgirls)

Bantam Easter egger mama & her 14 (3 OEs, 4 Ams, 4 d'anvers, & 3 silkies)

Showgirls & silkies (hatching eggs from @chiqita )
Neat coloring even with the pink neck

I'm thinking a blue?

Partridge

Another partridge

This one hatched from a green egg

"Igor"

Blue/gray

Blue/gray

Blue/gray

Light partridge silkie

This one also hatched from a blue/green egg - mystery surprise chick - 4 toes and feathers on the shanks

Something I just thought of... The borrowed incubator's a forced air one, and it's been steady at 100* (assuming the thermometer's accurate...) but I had the eggs under the fan the whole time *face palm* Could that have made the eggs a little cooler, and add yet more time? No idea how the humidity's been--the incubator didn't come with a hygrometer, and I haven't been able to justify purchasing one for just one use (a really bright flashlight and a heating pad can be used for non-chicken related things, of course).

Lessons learned:

Don't be so picky that a broody has to wait nearly a month for fertile eggs (counterpoint--if I don't want chicks (
gig.gif
), Frieda will quit by herself if she has no chicks after 5ish weeks).

If the eggs a broody has been sitting on are cold at 7:30 am, that's the time to start searching for an incubator, not after coming home from work (candling before lock down, I'm pretty sure all but 1 quit after being abandoned so long, but I left them in, in case I was wrong). But hey, if this happens again, I now have a heating pad and can set up something like Beekissed's natural nest incubator.

If eggs are abandoned, bring them into the house and out of dog reach.

Tell the younger daughter that I'm not sure when the chicks will hatch
duc.gif
and certainly don't label the calendar in the kitchen. Keeping track on my phone calendar is fine.

Venting here is better than venting to my not-really-into-chickens-but-supportive-because-I-am husband.

Ties into the pickiness lesson--don't announce that I'm getting a specific type of egg for my broody before the eggs are on their way, especially since I'm aware that I've always had a chronic case of badtimingitis
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom