California - Northern

I would like some black copper Marans, since I heard they are gentle for showing. I know there is lady called deb birds near by that breeds them, but I haven't been able to get a hold of her, and she is sold out until summer according to her website. I figured when we get closer to September I will talk to the poultry leader again. I am just not sure how soon my daughter would need her chicks to be ready to show.
I have marans, my my hens are over melanised, so depending on how competive the show, could be a problem. Other then that they look good except for creeping tail. I have been pleased with them. nice backs, deep chests, good eggs, nice foot feathering. fat and sassy friendly and a bit broody. marans are calm as these things go, but need a lot of handling to be tame. But they are confident birds so they will take the handling. Or at least mine will. Id try and hatch soon or get chicks, the minimum age the bird usually does not look as good as it will at a year or a bit older. ( at least around here, but I have longer maturing breeds)

I also have silkies that are pretty good, I have a nice showgirl prospect but the sucker in non bearded, so he would be an AOV, hes very nice however, crest is very big I thought he was a she till last week.

Are you coming to sewandgrows party in turock? Might be a good place to pick up either eggs or some chicks.
BTW, welcome!

Well, I was about to ask if anyone had Creme Legbar chicks, but am now a bit freaked out by the cocci info on the last page! My four-year-old daughter has requested blue eggs. I think the crested legbars are adorable, but we are fairly new chicken keepers and appreciate hearty birds. What would you say are the best blue egg layers, and do you have any? My husband doesn't love the beard on the Ameraucanas, but he may have to get over it. I prefer hatching eggs, although in the case of the legbars I would want a few female chicks.

I am also on the hunt for Swedish Flower Hens and possibly Svart Honas. I'm looking for genetic diversity, "bio-security", heartiness, and general friendliness.

We are in Nevada City but will travel for healthy eggs or chicks. We are regularly in the Central Valley and Bay Area to visit family. Thanks!

Last edited:
Just wanted to share a couple of pictures of the Marans chicks my broody hatched from eggs I bought from @dldolan . The 2 blues and the splash are from her nice dark brown eggs. The 3 Black Copper are ones that I grafted into the clutch after the hatch. They were only a couple of days older and she took them in immediately. Very healthy babies! I am so happy!

Good mama! Looks like she knows what she's doing!

Well, I was about to ask in anyone had Creme Legbar chicks, but am now a bit freaked out by the cocci info on the last page! My four-year-old daughter has requested blue eggs. I think the crested legbars are adorable, but we are fairly new chicken keepers and appreciate hearty birds. What would you say are the best blue egg layers, and do you have any? My husband doesn't love the beard on the Ameraucanas, but he may have to get over it. I prefer hatching eggs, although in the case of the legbars I would want a few female chicks. Chicks of any breed are fine.

I am also on the hunt for Swedish Flower Hens and possibly Svart Honas. I'm looking for genetic diversity, "bio-security", heartiness, and general friendliness.

We are in Nevada City but will travel for healthy eggs or chicks. We are regularly in the Central Valley and Bay Area to visit family. Thanks!
I have 1 SFH chick, blue and black. I have SH but they are not for sale, lol. @KYTinpusher sells SH eggs on the auctin threads on occation, i got my eggs from her, Walli is a fabluous packer.

I have found cream legbars hearty enough, and cocci is easy to treat for, id not worry about it. but in general direct import breeds will be more suseptable to american strains of diseases. Cream legars have had like 4 years to get acclimitiesd so they are not as bad. I'm in San Jose. I have some CL eggs in the bator, ill be selling chicks, but they are from @chrissyr , im not breeding ccl presently.

Well, I was about to ask in anyone had Creme Legbar chicks, but am now a bit freaked out by the cocci info on the last page! My four-year-old daughter has requested blue eggs. I think the crested legbars are adorable, but we are fairly new chicken keepers and appreciate hearty birds. What would you say are the best blue egg layers, and do you have any? My husband doesn't love the beard on the Ameraucanas, but he may have to get over it. I prefer hatching eggs, although in the case of the legbars I would want a few female chicks. Chicks of any breed are fine.

I got my Crested Cream Legbars from John Brekken in Loomis. He's very friendly and will talk to you about the health of his flock, if you would like to know. He's about 5 minutes away from Highway 80.

Here's the Craigslist entry:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/4955958074.html

I have marans, my my hens are over melanised, so depending on how competive the show, could be a problem. Other then that they look good except for creeping tail.  I have been pleased with them. nice backs, deep chests, good eggs, nice foot feathering.  fat and sassy friendly and a bit broody. marans are calm as these things go, but need a lot of handling to be tame. But they are confident birds so  they will  take the handling. Or at least mine  will.  Id try and hatch soon or get chicks,  the minimum age the bird usually does not look as good as it will at a year or a bit older. ( at least around here, but I have longer  maturing breeds) 

I also have silkies that are pretty good, I have a nice  showgirl prospect but the sucker in non bearded,  so he would be an AOV, hes  very nice however,  crest is very big I thought he was a she till last week.

Are you coming to  sewandgrows party in turock? Might be a good place to pick up  either eggs or some chicks. 
BTW, welcome!

I didn't want silkies as I want all large fowl in my flock. The marans from deb are supposed to be show quality so I can give my daughter her best advantage. I know the poultry leader usually has SLW so I might just get some of those if I can't get the marans and wait until next year to show those.

I have 1 SFH  chick, blue and black.  I have SH but they are not for sale, lol. @KYTinpusher
 sells  SH eggs  on the  auctin threads on occation, i got my eggs from her, Walli is a fabluous packer.

I have found cream legbars hearty enough, and cocci is easy to treat for,  id not worry about it.  but in general  direct import breeds will be more  suseptable to american strains of diseases.  Cream legars have had like 4 years to get  acclimitiesd so they are not as bad. I'm in San Jose. I have some CL eggs in the bator, ill be selling chicks, but they are from @chrissyr
 , im not breeding ccl presently.
@chiqita has more than I'll have hatching for a little while. I promises to give her all female eggs this time ;)

@chiqita do you have any green egg showgirls that are older than a week? I loovvveee my 2 sg and silkie and I really want some more!!! But i dont want them to have to be in the brooder for long

@The Keeper
Oh my god that partridge silkie with the giant head was the cutest!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom