California - Northern

I had my first predator loss in 7 years.
Yesterday I left home at 5 am and didn't get home until dark. When I went out to feed this evening I found one of my old ladies under the ramp to the pop door. Something had stripped her neck and most of the breast after trying to drag her under the coop.
Everyone will get locked up at night until the culprit is done in!
I hope you get it soon!

Hi all
frow.gif

I just picked up from the feed store a rescued duckling maybe 5-6(?) weeks old that someone brought in. Wondering if ya'll can tell the sex or breed(s)? Runner maybe? It is always walking upright.
Thanks
smile.png

Hi Gang,
A foxtail in the eye or near it can spell the loss of the eye if not handled with precision and attention to near sterile operating technique. The foxtail is a nasty one way device. Once it insinuates itself out of view only a veterinarian with micro surgical tools and technique should be allowed anywhere near the site, pardon the unintended pun. No amateurs should be allowed to take a crack at such a dilemma. The veterinarian will very likely prescribe a sterile antibiotic ointment application to the affected eye for 10 days or so after the removal. Keep in mind that the vertebrate eye is an extension of the nervous system with a direct pathway to the brain itself. Malfeasance here can cause the death of the patient. Go with veterinary care only! This observer wishes your patient wellness and relief.
Neal, the Zooman (and former vet tech)

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
The duck is most likely a runner. As for sex, that will be very apparent in short order. Remember that with the exception of the muscovy (Cairina moschata) duck, among the more commonly encountered barnyard types, the rest are most likely descended from the mallard (Anas platyrhynchos). In short, the vast majority of barnyard ducks are of one species despite the myriad of colors and forms. So what is the hallmark of the males? Their tail feathers curl back toward the front of the duck reminding one of bent index and middle fingers. When you see these, you are looking at a boy. That is all.
Neal, the Zooman

I had my first predator loss in 7 years.
Yesterday I left home at 5 am and didn't get home until dark. When I went out to feed this evening I found one of my old ladies under the ramp to the pop door. Something had stripped her neck and most of the breast after trying to drag her under the coop.
Everyone will get locked up at night until the culprit is done in!

Gaaa! That sucks I'm so sorry.

Are the ducks noisy? The girls get loud.

I have a hatch of Bresse going that had fair fertility but not good hatch results. Two were upside down, one pipped and died. Two were stuck in the shell. One of them has a leg issue and I do not know yet about the last two--they are working on getting out still. I suspect flock health is the issue. The Bresse are in Winters at the egg farmers place. He told me, quite proudly, that he saved money over the winter by only feeding them grain. I suspect that they need to be wormed and treated for lice and mites. They also likely need some better nutrition.

Now to figure out how to get him to do this. I may have to go out there and treat them myself.....

And 10 of 32 of them did not hatch at all.

Last edited:
I have a hatch of Bresse going that had fair fertility but not good hatch results. Two were upside down, one pipped and died. Two were stuck in the shell. One of them has a leg issue and I do not know yet about the last two--they are working on getting out still. I suspect flock health is the issue. The Bresse are in Winters at the egg farmers place. He told me, quite proudly, that he saved money over the winter by only feeding them grain. I suspect that they need to be wormed and treated for lice and mites. They also likely need some better nutrition.

Now to figure out how to get him to do this. I may have to go out there and treat them myself.....

And 10 of 32 of them did not hatch at all.

Can you get him to add red cell to the water? Won't help with the protein issue but will with micro nutrients and vits

Can you get him to add red cell to the water? Won't help with the protein issue but will with micro nutrients and vits
He is giving them some type of poultry feed now and I sent him home with some calcium grit last time. I will get him a copy of the breed health and egg collecting pdf I have. I will also give him some calf manna for them.

Red Cell is a great idea!

Back
Top Bottom