California - Northern

hugs.gif
Chickens get into all kinds of trouble. Stickers can blow in on the wind too.

I hope all goes well with the vet visit.

Going to cut the stickers down, but can't get a mower to pick them up where they're at. Then they'll be free flying unfortunately.

Update on hen: the vet used the drops and looked behind her 3rd eye lid and found nothing. So hopefully i flushed it out yesterday and just didn't see it. I'm hoping it didn't go further.
She looks better today, and was not thrilled when I got her back home. She's back with her babies and her co-broody. They are officially in the marans pen altogether, and not out with the stickers.
all I was charged was an office visit, so I'm even more happy!

Thank you all for the advice :)

The can be carried in by other animals too. Sometimes it is very hard to get rid of all of them. The earlier in the season you can get rid of them the better, though. Once they turn brown they start to break apart.
I totally should have got these down earlier. Next year busy won't be an excuse. They are horrible!

Hi all,

Reading along but every time I start a reply I get interrupted. Dang kids. ;)

Those foxtail are no joke. About 8 or 9 years ago one of our dogs had one get stuck under her tongue. It worked it's way down into the top of her throat from underneath the tongue and caused massive swelling, and almost cut off her airway. She had to stay at the vet's for a few days and have it drained a bunch of times, had a tube put in, antibiotics, etc etc. Nasty things. I hope your hen heals quickly!!

I started DH's morning off with a chicken round-up. I didn't close up the man door when I moved the goofball that insists on sleeping on the outdoor roost to the inside roost last night. It's an easy fix to get them inside though, just grab the silver treat bucket and you can lead them anywhere!

I think I found the chicken eater this evening-HUGE rat or small possom tail scurrying under the wall to the wood shed. It's probably a rat with all the tunneling scraping I've been seeing. It's days are very short! The hen probably died of old age and it took advantage of an easy meal but no more chicken for you nasty critter!

I lost another one last night but no marks on her anywhere, she was a 6 year old partridge rock and a good broody hen. Seems this is the down side of keeping my ladies for so long, losing know individuals without out much warning.

On a happier note, the graft seems to have worked.
A pair of pigeons hatched out both eggs then abandoned them yesterday. DD found them while I was dealing with my chicken problem. We went and tried to Mom & Dad to settle down with them but it was an absolute refusal! They were so cold when I picked them up I didn't give them much of a chance.
I cuddled them in my hands and blew warm breath on them while Marian prepped a nest bowl for the two females that insist on sitting on each others infertile eggs. We put 1of their eggs and both babies in the bowl and 1 Mom settled down on them. This evening the other Mom was in the bowl and both babies were looking so much better! I didn't think the smaller one would make it through the night but Mom seems to know best and these babies have 2of them, fingers crossed!

Quote: I so hope you got it out! When I was a Vet Tech we had a dog with a chronic cough that we did a chest x-ray on and there was a foxtail in the lungs! The full size seed head about 3 inches long! We never did figure out if the dog inhaled it, ate it and it migrated from the stomach or it migrated from somewhere else. I have also seen them enter between the toes and migrate up the leg. Horrible, horrible plant!

Quote: I am so glad we don't have any in our yard. There is a big field behind us but the owner starts mowing weekly in early spring (mostly due to fire hazard) so they never get big enough to be a problem.

I started DH's morning off with a chicken round-up. I didn't close up the man door when I moved the goofball that insists on sleeping on the outdoor roost to the inside roost last night. It's an easy fix to get them inside though, just grab the silver treat bucket and you can lead them anywhere!

I think I found the chicken eater this evening-HUGE rat or small possom tail scurrying under the wall to the wood shed. It's probably a rat with all the tunneling scraping I've been seeing. It's days are very short! The hen probably died of old age and it took advantage of an easy meal but no more chicken for you nasty critter!

I lost another one last night but no marks on her anywhere, she was a 6 year old partridge rock and a good broody hen. Seems this is the down side of keeping my ladies for so long, losing know individuals without out much warning.

On a happier note, the graft seems to have worked.
A pair of pigeons hatched out both eggs then abandoned them yesterday. DD found them while I was dealing with my chicken problem. We went and tried to Mom & Dad to settle down with them but it was an absolute refusal! They were so cold when I picked them up I didn't give them much of a chance.
I cuddled them in my hands and blew warm breath on them while Marian prepped a nest bowl for the two females that insist on sitting on each others infertile eggs. We put 1of their eggs and both babies in the bowl and 1 Mom settled down on them. This evening the other Mom was in the bowl and both babies were looking so much better! I didn't think the smaller one would make it through the night but Mom seems to know best and these babies have 2of them, fingers crossed!
So sorry about your new loss, but at least you know she had a great life living with you. And congrats on saving the babies!

I had a "Lazarus" moment myself this morning. I have had Bresse eggs from @chiqita under a first time broody. When I checked them this morning I saw a hatched chick laying on the shavings in front of the broody. It was limp and cold. I picked it up and rubbed it a bit, but no response. I had just hatched out some ducklings and moved them to the brooder this morning. I hadn't even cleaned out the incubator yet so it was dirty, but warm. I put the chick in knowing it was hopeless and rubbed it to stimulate every few minutes. I went and did some cleaning and came back a few minutes later and it was gasping. It looked like agonal gasping but was something! It has been about an hour now and it is trying to sit up an cheeping! I sure hop it makes it! I know they sometimes have too much organ damage but will give it a chance!
wee.gif

I so hope you got it out! When I was a Vet Tech we had a dog with a chronic cough that we did a chest x-ray on and there was a foxtail in the lungs! The full size seed head about 3 inches long! We never did figure out if the dog inhaled it, ate it and it migrated from the stomach or it migrated from somewhere else. I have also seen them enter between the toes and migrate up the leg. Horrible, horrible plant!

I am so glad we don't have any in our yard. There is a big field behind us but the owner starts mowing weekly in early spring (mostly due to fire hazard) so they never get big enough to be a problem.

So sorry about your new loss, but at least you know she had a great life living with you. And congrats on saving the babies!

I had a "Lazarus" moment myself this morning. I have had Bresse eggs from @chiqita under a first time broody. When I checked them this morning I saw a hatched chick laying on the shavings in front of the broody. It was limp and cold. I picked it up and rubbed it a bit, but no response. I had just hatched out some ducklings and moved them to the brooder this morning. I hadn't even cleaned out the incubator yet so it was dirty, but warm. I put the chick in knowing it was hopeless and rubbed it to stimulate every few minutes. I went and did some cleaning and came back a few minutes later and it was gasping. It looked like agonal gasping but was something! It has been about an hour now and it is trying to sit up an cheeping! I sure hop it makes it! I know they sometimes have too much organ damage but will give it a chance!
wee.gif
Mary the Sherriff says that they are not dead until they are warm and dead. Cold and dead can be revived.

Had to bring my week old and day old chicks into the house due to this chilly weather, the 100 watt bulb had the outside grow out coop at only 70 degress and the outside temperature was still dropping plus rain and wind. My 250 watt was broken so couldn't exchange. A couple days inside won't hurt me. Strange weather, but loving the weekly rain.

Question about Mauve Orpingtons.

A few days back I posted a picture of chicks I hatched for a friend. Parents were black rooster over splash hens. Some suggested the rooster may be split to chocolate and the light colored chicks in the hatch may be mauves. I have been trying to find info on them and I am seeing a lot of people mentioning "sex-linked". If these are mauves and the rooster is split to chocolate, would these mauve chicks all be pullets?

Edited to add: I also found a link to this "Chicken Calculator" online and wonder what you knowledgeable genetics people thought of it. I looks a bit complicated to use and is in several languages but might only look complicated because I know nothing about chicken genetics..

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

The chicken calculator is how I worked out that a split to chocolate was probably what is going on with the chicks. Here's a link to the results of a Black split chocolate rooster over a splash hen.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html?mgt=E:E/E&fgt=E:E/E,Bl:Bl/Bl

You get 25% blue cockerels, 25% blue split to chocolate cockerels, 24% khaki/mauve pullets, and 25% blue pullets. So yes, all the yellow chicks should be pullets. If any are cockerels, then we know something else is going on genetically.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom