California - Northern

Yup. Last auction I saw for them was 6 for 70.00. Boy have they spiked!!!

The seller must have a good reputation. There was someone on ebay recently that had a scam going on.

I will be another year or so until ayam cemani are reasonably priced--they lay 60 to 70 eggs per year so it is hard to get the numbers up.

Anyone interested in a showgirl roo?
$10
Silver partridge
Hatched 2/2/15 from eggs from @chiqita
5 toes on each foot
Heavy foot feathering
Already crowing (!)

I'm in Fairfield but willing to meet within a hour or so.

PM me with any questions or interest. Thanks.

Last edited:
5 fluffy turkies. The belly dried up and the turkey jumps right out of the tea cup. However something funny about his legs. Not splayed like I've seen before. They go straight back instead of out to the side. I taped and will hope for the best. I read it's hard to get them to eat. So odd. It's REALLY hard . I'm taking them several times daily to the water and both dry and soaked feed to dip their beaks. They're so big id think they would chow down. How long will they act like that? Turkey brains! Now I get it!

Adorable! I have been contemplating getting some midget whites....but maybe not.....

Quote: You're welcome!
smile.png

I am heartsick. Discovered one of my girls with a swollen face yesterday. She doesn't stink so I think it is some form of respiratory condition. Spent hours yesterday cleaning the coop, waterers etc. with a bleach solution. This morning another girl is developing swollen eyes. I have them quarantined but the more I read the more I know that I have to cull them and anyone else who turns up with the same symptoms. I am praying that no one else gets sick. I will do the culling tonight.

I was going to be meeting a guy this coming weekend to sell him two girls but now I have to tell him that I can't

In addition today is the last ship day for Urch for the year. I sent my order in February and they haven't shipped yet and no phone call today. It is just after 11:00 am in Minnesota I would have thought I would have heard by now but maybe not. Anyway...I have two other people roped in on this order with me and I don't know what to do if I don't get the call today. I can certainly refund their money in hopes that the Urches will refund mine but I feel badly just the same and really disappointed too.

On the other hand since I have sickness in my flock I am almost hoping they don't ship. I would rather wait a year and get this whole infection thing under control and eradicated.

I am assuming the peacocks or some of the wild birds that are plentiful around here brought it. I keep a pretty clean coop and my flock free ranges so it is not an overcowding/unsanitary conditions thing. All runs are covered but ground squirrels and small birds can get into the pens and I often leave the gates open when the girls are ranging so they have a nesting place.

I am just sad and not looking forward to what I know I have to do.
Oh no! I hope the rest stay healthy and it turns out to be something minor....

Quote: They do!
lau.gif

Quote:

And now I have a sad question. One of my grow out pens with 6-8 weeks olds is being decimated in the last 3 days. Yesterday I lost 1/2 the pen! Crops empty. Dying overnight under the heat or out of it. I lost 3 more last night. Eyes clear nose clear. I sent some in to davis this morning but I'm in a panic for the 4 babies left. I'm giving them sulfa but I'm not thinking that it is cocci. All other pens are fine with leads me to think something in the flooring or feed. I moved them with new feed and water but anyone think of any hail Marys I can try? I at least want to do what I can
sad.png
(
( it new feed as of yesterday so I don't think it is the current feed)

How awful! I hope the rest make it!

Quote: It does always seem to be the favorites....the last one I lost was "Pearl", a blue mottled (or maybe more of a splash) Ameraucana project hen from an egg auction here on BYC. She was one of only 2 that even had names...
sad.png

Hi I am new. I live in Stockton California.

My chicks just turned 4 weeks.
Got an assortment of ornamental layers from mcmurrays.
Welcome to the thread!!!!!!

Well, I'm a little disappointed. Out of the 16 Rosecomb eggs I received in the mail, only 2 are alive and moving around in their egg.
sad.png
2 others are hopefully alive, and about 5 others are probably dead. The rest are dead/clear.

I still have hope for the 4, but we shall see.
It is so frustrating with the shipped eggs sometimes. I hope those 4 hatch for you.
fl.gif

Eep! What is this?

It's been a while since we've gotten an egg from her--she's a Leghorn, so our only white egg.
It is hard to tell from the pictures...but it almost looks like a prolapse. Is there a protrusion or just the poop on the butt fluff?

Here is a random shot of the girls.
Nice variety!

No one with puffy eyes this morning and everyone in the other two pens looks good
fl.gif

@chiqita Hope all is well at your place this morning with no additional deaths.

AWESOME!!!! I hope that continues!
Anyone interested in a showgirl roo?
$10
Silver partridge
Hatched 2/2/15 from eggs from @chiqita
5 toes on each foot
Heavy foot feathering
Already crowing (!)

I'm in Fairfield but willing to meet within a hour or so.

PM me with any questions or interest. Thanks.

He is a handsome boy! Hope you find him a good home!

With all the bad news everyone has been posting I thought you all needed some cuteness. These are 6 Bresse chicks from @chiqita 's eggs and 2 of the "Mauve" Orp chicks I grafted to the broody. One of them is behind the hen in the picture. One of the mauve's is the one in the front on the left. It is about a week older than the rest but took right to her and she did not seem to notice the difference. She is a first time Momma and has been doing great with them so far! I also hatched 14 Swedish Flower chicks today....
big_smile.png

Although I was a vet tech for some time back in the late 50s and early 60s from reading the labels I can tell you good folks the following: Vetericyn, pron. ve te ri cyn, and NOT ve tri cyn, is a topical agent comprised of one active ingredient, Hypochlorous Acid. It is a weak acid and is apparently soothing to the skin. The manufacturer claims that it is for the over the counter management of the skin. It is recommended for application on abrasions,burns, lacerations, minor irritations, and cuts. It is touted as a rather benign substance free of alcohol, steroids and antibiotics and comes in several physical forms including liquid and a gel which readily spray from the container. They do not define just what is meant by their use of the term management. Nor do they describe its mode of action. Some members of our forum, BYC report good outcomes by using it. Whatever its mode of action it is NOT an antibiotic. In fairness to the manufacturer I can say that I have used it in connection with a hen who had her back skin torn away by an over ardent junior high school cockerel. The skin was discovered hanging almost to the ground. After applying a series of tight 00 black surgical sutures to restore the skin to its original position Vetericyn was applied daily to the site along the suture lines. The bird was also given a daily broad spectrum oral antibiotic. This regimen was followed for a 2 week period at which time the sutures were expelled during the healing process. Vetericyn was applied for two additional days. There was no infection and the skin stayed in place. What role the Vetericyn played is hard to assess. At any rate, were another one of my animals met with a damaged skin as described on the bottle I would not hesitate to use the product again. As for Vetrimycin 100 it is a trade name for an injectable antibiotic with a long therapeutic history. As I understand it, it is a systemic antibiotic just like its precursor Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride which by the way comes in an oral form. However, it is my understanding that Vetrimycin is primarily an injectable. So these are definitely different therapeutic agents and unless a person has medical training and skills I highly recommend that one works in concert with his veterinarian. I have not used the proprietary Vetrimycin although I have years of experience working with the generic form Oxytetracyline Hydrochloride in both injectable and oral formulations. Again, I recommend working in concert with your vet. For the record, I am a well trained veterinary technician as well as a highly trained medical technician. I make no claims as a clinician nor do I prescribe courses of therapeutic action. I'm simply describing my impressions as a 76 year old retiree with extensive experience. You make of my opinions what you will; and for the umpteenth time I do recommend consulting your veterinarian with your significant findings.
I wish all of you and your charges, great health free from medical adventures, but we know that that is not likely a long term happening.
Stay well,
Neal, the Zooman

Back
Top Bottom