California - Northern

I got some earlier from her and the boys are great except a bit of wry tail every thing Ive read is it can be bred out though so not worried. Lovely combs great long backs otherwise great birds.
Raising them alongside my Pitas.

The girl is a little overly brown we shall see how this second one turns out.

Im hoping to breed my girl from Rebecca to the boys too (in order to help on the tails for sure)

I may try hatching more of Rebecca's line of eggs but if I can get this new girl (and if the boys are better) to breeding age I should have a good starting flock for next year.

About the same time the Pitas will be ready to go. Now that I have blood from both Ron and Debbi

I need to get some rooster collars quick.

Please, allow me to respond and introduce myself. I am the breeder who provided those 2 farms that you are referring to, in CA with Black Australorp chicks. If you could have seen what I started with 3+ years ago, you would understand the value of having an expert hand select breeders and monitor their progress ongoing. The improvement in this breed has been astounding and my birds have received compliments from some of the most respected breeders in this country. My birds have also been featured in a magazine in the UK by a poultry geneticist.

The fee that you are referring to, is a fee to cover expenses for travel, time and expertise for Jim to hand select the right male to breed with the appropriate group of females. And this changes each year, or more often. It is one on one education every time Jim Adkins visits a farm.

As with virtually all things in life, you get back out of it, the efforts that you put into it. This situation is a partnership, of the farm and Sustainable Poultry Network to work together to improve specific breeds.

In regard to the fee ~ Would you travel across the US, spend a day at a farm to select male breeders, go back to select female breeders and divide them up into breeding families and give unlimited support by email and phone calls for FREE? This does not even cover his expenses in most cases.

FYI - The Redwood Valley flock, in Redwood Valley CA, is owned by a 13 yr old 4H young man who is still in the learning process. I'm sure the other farms listed in CA with Black Australorps would be happy to answer your questions or show you the efforts of Jim's and my breeding with these birds. These are very nice birds ~ a direct result of Jim's guidance. I would invite you to check them out.

Did I get my money's worth? Yes, and MORE!!!

http://sustainablepoultrynetwork.com/testimonials/

The Forest Farm
NC
Hi, Welcome to BYC and the Nor Cal thread!

I've seen photos of Dru's flock in Woodland. They do look nice and that's why I mentioned them to people here that were looking for that breed. I'm sincerely glad that you are happy with your flock and feel satisfied with what you have received in exchange for your membership.

Many people who would like to breed standard bred poultry may not have the amount of money it costs to join SPN and become one of their certified breeders. I am one of them. So, I like to let people know that it's possible to learn how to breed to standard, and get advice and instruction from experienced poultry judges and breeders, without having to pay them a fee.

I absolutely agree with you, that "you get back out of it, the efforts that you put into it. " That's why I advocate getting the APA Standard of Perfection, studying it, going to shows, meeting experienced poultry fanciers, and having your birds evaluated by APA judges. (That's plural- judges.) Yes, it takes a lot of effort to breed good birds.

There is one judge and longtime breeder who I consider my mentor. He has answered probably hundreds of my questions and emails from me. He gives me "one on one education" whenever I ask for it. He doesn't "hand select" my breeders or choose my breeding families, because he has taught me how to do that for myself. He does monitor my progress, encourages me and continues to make suggestions on how I can improve. He's even given workshops for groups of breeders, when I've asked him. ALL FOR FREE. Because he's a very nice, generous person who truly cares about preserving and promoting standard bred poultry.

There are other breeders and judges who are willing to help if breeders are willing to make the effort. They don't want a fee for their help. They do want you to learn how to do it yourself (instead of depending on them indefinitely). I think part of this tradition is that you will pass on your knowledge in the same way it was given to you.

One last thing. That quote from me was posted a while back. Since then, I have attended a SPN workshop. I was impressed with the marketing strategy. Those breeders aren't getting more of an education than I am, but they sure are making more money selling chickens, etc. than I am.

The APA is about to launch a flock certification program. I don't know of any APA/ABA judge who charges for his/her breeding help other than Jim Atkins.
I have known Jim since he was 9 or 10 and he is a very good salesman and reasonably knowledgeable......certainly knowledgeable enough to help beginners. He had to adjust his program after the APA had to talk with him about it. I will leave it at that.

If a person or group wants to pay for information that could be free .....depending how close you are to a judge, that is what we call "free enterprise" here in the US. So....the certification is by an individual who has started a poultry program.....not by the APA, ABA or any nationally recognized organization that is profit/non profit.

So...if you want to pay a lot of money to have a certification that is not recognized by any other poultry organizations that is fine. Just keep in mind it could be free.

Walt

The APA is about to launch a flock certification program. I don't know of any APA/ABA judge who charges for his/her breeding help other than Jim Atkins.
I have known Jim since he was 9 or 10 and he is a very good salesman and reasonably knowledgeable......certainly knowledgeable enough to help beginners. He had to adjust his program after the APA had to talk with him about it. I will leave it at that.

If a person or group wants to pay for information that could be free .....depending how close you are to a judge, that is what we call "free enterprise" here in the US. So....the certification is by an individual who has started a poultry program.....not by the APA, ABA or any nationally recognized organization that is profit/non profit.

So...if you want to pay a lot of money to have a certification that is not recognized by any other poultry organizations that is fine. Just keep in mind it could be free.

Walt

Walt, thank you for passing this along to me. I would definitely be interested in APA Certification, as well. Will it be like being listed with the Livestock Conservancy as a breeder? I'll look for your contact info so I can email you.

Walt, thank you for passing this along to me.  I would definitely be interested in APA Certification, as well.   Will it be like being listed with the Livestock Conservancy as a breeder?  I'll look for your contact info so I can email you.
I will send you contact information later when I get to my computer. This is new and not in my area of expertise but I am pretty sure that this is a joint effort with the Livestock Conservancy.

Walt

I don't know why I love North CA. I just love it.
goodpost.gif

It is a great place to live!

Quote:

That simple? Cool! The BluKote is stored in the coop, so that's no problem.

It was that simple
yippiechickie.gif

I took Omelette in when everyone (except Frieda, of course--she'll hatch her feet any time now
wink.png
or be happy with the eggs she's getting tomorrow or Tuesday) was settling on the top roost (there are 3). I put her on the bottom roost, and everyone froze, like in an bad Western. After everyone staring for what felt like forever but was probably about 10 seconds, Omelette went to the second roost, and Souffle chased her back down to the bottom. There was a little feather tugging involved, but not much, and once Omelette was on the bottom, Souffle went back up top. When I checked back about half an hour later, everyone was squeezed up on the top roost. (My roosts are 4' long branches.) This morning, there were no marks on anyone, and Omelette wasn't being kept from eating.

They should be great birds!   I got some boys from her last year to satisfy a broody....

Those boys were actually from Papa Brooders eggs. The only thing I've gotten from Pine Creek are some bantam cochin eggs.

It was that simple:yiipchick

I took Omelette in when everyone (except Frieda, of course--she'll hatch her feet any time now;) or be happy with the eggs she's getting tomorrow or Tuesday) was settling on the top roost (there are 3). I put her on the bottom roost, and everyone froze, like in an bad Western. After everyone staring for what felt like forever but was probably about 10 seconds, Omelette went to the second roost, and Souffle chased her back down to the bottom. There was a little feather tugging involved, but not much, and once Omelette was on the bottom, Souffle went back up top. When I checked back about half an hour later, everyone was squeezed up on the top roost. (My roosts are 4' long branches.) This morning, there were no marks on anyone, and Omelette wasn't being kept from eating.

I'm glad that went easily!

It was that simple
yippiechickie.gif

I took Omelette in when everyone (except Frieda, of course--she'll hatch her feet any time now
wink.png
or be happy with the eggs she's getting tomorrow or Tuesday) was settling on the top roost (there are 3). I put her on the bottom roost, and everyone froze, like in an bad Western. After everyone staring for what felt like forever but was probably about 10 seconds, Omelette went to the second roost, and Souffle chased her back down to the bottom. There was a little feather tugging involved, but not much, and once Omelette was on the bottom, Souffle went back up top. When I checked back about half an hour later, everyone was squeezed up on the top roost. (My roosts are 4' long branches.) This morning, there were no marks on anyone, and Omelette wasn't being kept from eating.

That is great news!

Two of my 20 week old trader joes pullets decided to spend the day with the layers. One of them flew over the 7 foot fence but the other one stayed in until about 2 when I checked on the eggs. She did lay a nice white egg in one of the nest boxes.

The layers are very used to hens moving in and out though.

Back
Top Bottom