California - Northern

you got your answer but yes, sniff the slosher, they can go bad FAST.

I'm checking  for ideas, anyone  work with leg mites that have been mild but wont go away for a while that just went INSANE?

I have 2 seremas that i have been treating periodically   but seems to come back, that had their problem go  crazy last week and 2 lost their back toe. 

I brought everyone in last night, treated with  WD 40 and washed this morning, did ivermectin orally, and did Vaseline this AM.  One poor girl is still limping,  everyone else is just  annoyed to be inside.  When the skin sloshed off this AM my worse girl lost all her skin in some spots ( thus inside) .

Any  foolproof treatments? the  coop was just  redone new bedding and  treated for bugs  last week. I think that started the issue the  nits all jumped on the chickens as the coop was killing them.  they had frontline, but obviously does not work on these. 

Also, I might be  re-homing some of my silkie and showgirl hens, PM me if you are interested and  willing to pick up. The broody madness is getting to Mario, ha.

How is everyone else doing?

How is the mite treatment going? Wishing you progress!

Thanks Ron.    His loss a real loss.  He was such a sweet boy. I have hatched dozens of roosters in the last few years,  but none of them were as kind as Mr. T.  He was such a wonderful bird and I feel grateful for having been his keeper these past few years.    

Oh that's so sad. Good roosters are one in a hundred!

@chickee
I didn't think I was able to hatch any GCM but these have me confused. Are they all OEs?

#2: suspicious bend to tail feathers, light feathering on shanks - boy?
How old is the chick?

going by the comb and wattles, it looks like a pullet.

@chickee
I didn't think I was able to hatch any GCM but these have me confused. Are they all OEs?

#1: sorry for the blurry head. I see feathers on the shank. Pretty sure this is a boy, right?

#2: suspicious bend to tail feathers, light feathering on shanks - boy?

#3: clean legs - pullet?

Thank you!
I hatched 7 wheaten/blue wheaten AMs (2 boys, 5 girls), 4 d'anvers (3 rusty, 1 dun/khaki) & 2 silkies (both blue/buff)

All 3 are OEs. First two look like boys and the third (last picture) is definitely a pullet.

You got lucky with more Ameraucana girls than boys. I have been hatching mostly boys this year. The 2 Silkies are from my eggs? Blue/buff? Porcelain? I would like to see pictures of the d'Anvers and Silkies.
pop.gif

Quote:
Thanks! I moved them all out with my broody Splash Orp. She was very happy. She has 12 babies to mother and I have them in a broody pen inside the big pen.
I think I might be onto to something! I have a bunch of new broody hens which is driving me nuts! I have a 12 x 20 chicken house with 3 divided rooms plus a feed room. Yesterday all the rooms got cleaned and new shavings added. I had been reading up on using fresh herbs to help discourage bugs. We have several large Rosemary plants growing around the house (one of the recommended herbs to repel bugs) so I cut a bunch of it into 4" pieces and mixed them into the fresh shavings. I also added a sprig to each nesting box. I just went out to check on the chickens and NO broody hens in the nesting boxes! I don't think they like the smell! I will update in a few days and let everyone know if the broody hens have returned to the nesting boxes.
smile.png

Oh...I am sooo going to try that! I have rosemary along side my driveway that I use when I make Roasted red Potatoes. I just gave my last broody chicks, but I am 100% certain someone lese will go broody very soon.

@TheKeeper and Igor might be converting me into a fan of nakedneck showgirls. I mean just look at her. She's a Fraggle pet straight out of Henson's workshop.
She is gorgeous! I need to get some more eggs from @chickee @chickee the spring. I miss Cher......
hit.gif

Edited to say: I meant to say from @chiqita

I had o euthanize a Crested Cream Legbar Cockerel today. He developed torticollis (head twisted to the side and upside-down. I have been treating him for 10 days with Vit E, Selenium, NutriDrench and Poly-Vi-Sol. After a few days with only minor improvement I added prednisone for the last 5 days or so. He would look better for a few hours and then get bad again. I decided it was more humane to put him down. I used a makeshift C02 chamber and it worked pretty well. Seemed painless and he did not struggle. I am glad he is not struggling anymore....
sad.png

Last edited:
Thanks! I moved them all out with my broody Splash Orp. She was very happy. She has 12 babies to mother and I have them in a broody pen inside the big pen.

Oh...I am sooo going to try that! I have rosemary along side my driveway that I use when I make Roasted red Potatoes. I just gave my last broody chicks, but I am 100% certain someone lese will go broody very soon.
She is gorgeous! I need to get sme more eggs from @chickee in the spring. I miss Cher......
hit.gif

I had o euthanize a Crested Cream Legbar Cockerel today. He developed torticollis (head twisted to the side and upside-down. I have been treating him for 10 days with Vit E, Selenium, NutriDrench and Poly-Vi-Sol. After a few days with only minor improvement I added prednisone for the last 5 days or so. He would look better for a few hours and then get bad again. I decided it was more humane to put him down. I used a makeshift C02 chamber and it worked pretty well. Seemed painless and he did not struggle. I am glad he is not struggling anymore....
sad.png
hugs.gif

You did the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom