California - Northern

I need your guys' help please. I've never raised bantam chicks and I just got 25 in these mail this am, (crazy I know, but my 4h kiddos decided this was what they wanted to do) and I'm thinking the chick feed is too big, am I worrying too much it do I need to make it smaller? If so, how do I do it without turning it to powder. Thanks for your help

they will be fine i give mine all flock pellets

I heard last week from my tutor that someone had dumped four chickens off at a nearby pond/park. Finally got over there to check if it was true or not. Found them pretty easy. Looks like four gamefowl cross cockerels. I managed to get some blurry pictures.

I'd love to take them but they would be an absolute pain to catch and as it is I have 40 cockbirds in my flock already (20 of which I don't even remotely need and 10 more that desperately need a one way ticket to freezer camp). If anyone wants them they are at Lumsden Pond in Placerville. I'd advise bringing a gamefowl net or better yet a cage trap with some corn... these guys were very flighty. That said, they look to be doing surprisingly well. Apparently the same people who feed the ducks and geese there are feeding them a nice fat diet of bread and such... not exactly healthy but it'll keep em going for a while. In fact I was surprised by how good they were doing. Reminded me of the feral chickens in Hawaii and Florida. I wouldn't mind having our own little population of ferals here but since it's not subtropical I doubt they'll last indefinitely on their own.

I saw that on the El Dorado Homestead Page. I can't believe anyone would do that since anyone that posts free birds has multiple takers. they probably won't last too long like that either

I've still got Silkie cockerels to rehome if anyone is interested.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom