California - Northern

Lol that's pretty darn close. I grew up in cottonwood which really isn't that far from corning..
smile.png

Well howdy neighbor! Did you get a lot of rain from these last two systems?

Ron, I have no garage, and also no cages, other than cat carriers... I'll just let her be then. I was a bit worried about the plucked areas, sparked by the gunky egg (although all the other eggs were clean).

And NEXT year, I'll find eggs from somebody who has another enjoyable color... Since mine vary from pinky beige on up to medium brown.

Thanks for reassuring me, peeps!
Sometimes they will not stop on their own though. I worry about them in the heat of summer here and have read about them starving to death--or becoming covered with mites or lice.

Another way to break them is to give them a chick or two for a day. If someone you know with chickens has just hatched chicks, you could borrow a couple of them. Give them back after the broody breaks--make sure they are quarantined before going back though.

Here in Boulder Creek, I don't really worry too much about heat. I have a very well ventilated coop. One might almost say an overly ventilated coop. And the nesting/egg boxes aren't air tight, and they're on the shady side of the coop. So, for those concerns, I'm not horribly worried. She did this last summer too, while still laying nearly an egg a day, and it eventually wore off.

Yes it was really storming. I couldn't believe it went from 85 degrees to 3 days of storms lol. Put a real dent in my plans of finishing my coop lol. Did it storm bad there as well?

We got quite wet too. Not much in the way of thunder and lightning though. Chico was hit hard, and I can see Chico's storms from where I'm at. Heck of a light show!

We just finished our coop/enclosure and so I was a worried momma (first time flock owner), but the birds seemed pretty chill about it (10 chickens and 4 ducks). I gotta make a few more covers for the food and waterers as the food got clumped up in one feeder but that's about it.

We got quite wet too. Not much in the way of thunder and lightning though. Chico was hit hard, and I can see Chico's storms from where I'm at. Heck of a light show! We just finished our coop/enclosure and so I was a worried momma (first time flock owner), but the birds seemed pretty chill about it (10 chickens and 4 ducks). I gotta make a few more covers for the food and waterers as the food got clumped up in one feeder but that's about it.
Glad they made it through the storm ok. We just put our babies outside for the first time also. I was worried the storm would scare them to death but they are doing great. Can't wait till the run is finished so they will have more room. We saw quite a bit of lightening and thunder.

Hi all, thought I'd post here just in case anyone is interested in any of my 4 week old Orpington cockerels. They are from eggs from Papa's Poultry, hatched April 7th. I have 2 cuckoo and 3 lavender cuckoo; they are quite big already & should be lovely! All very nice boys, especially the lavenders.

Hi all, thought I'd post here just in case anyone is interested in any of my 4 week old Orpington cockerels. They are from eggs from Papa's Poultry, hatched April 7th. I have 2 cuckoo and 3 lavender cuckoo; they are quite big already & should be lovely! All very nice boys, especially the lavenders.
Very nice boys! -Kathy

Thanks! I have been keeping them indoors, BTW, because we are still treating the lice outside, but they have totally outgrown their brooder! They are so calm though; they don't try to escape or anything.

Very cute too bad they are a bit young to put with my 6.5 week old pitas outside. and too big to be with my near 2 week old ones in the garage. I am looking for an Orp male to breed to my hatchery buffs and a lavender would probably be nice..

Back
Top Bottom