California - Northern

So I ended up purchasing two sexed KCs from Metzer Farms. The lady I was going to get a pair of Pekings from was not exactly easy to communicate with. So everyone, meet Hershey and Skittles! I was a nervous momma because the post office didn't call this morning like I thought they were supposed to. So I had everyone on the lookout in case the post office forgot to call and they delivered. I was at work LOL. I got a phone call from the neighboring town (20 minutes) saying they have the ducklings and to either pick them up before it closed within the next few hours, or wait until tomorrow morning. Fortunately my parents are awesome and ran up to get them.

I will say, they were a lot calmer (probably tired too, they had a busy first day, traveling first class and everything!) than the original four. They perked up after a few hours under the heat lamp and when they found their food and water, they went to town. I have a pint waterer and I already had to refill it! Granted they probably spilled a lot of it too but still. And after the pictures were taken, I took the rubber bands off, so don't worry about that xD.

[COLOR=333333]So I ended up purchasing two sexed KCs from Metzer Farms. The lady I was going to get a pair of Pekings from was not exactly easy to communicate with. So everyone, meet Hershey and Skittles! I was a nervous momma because the post office didn't call this morning like I thought they were supposed to. So I had everyone on the lookout in case the post office forgot to call and they delivered. I was at work LOL. I got a phone call from the neighboring town (20 minutes) saying they have the ducklings and to either pick them up before it closed within the next few hours, or wait until tomorrow morning. Fortunately my parents are awesome and ran up to get them. I will say, they were a lot calmer (probably tired too, they had a busy first day, traveling first class and everything!) than the original four. They perked up after a few hours under the heat lamp and when they found their food and water, they went to town. I have a pint waterer and I already had to refill it! Granted they probably spilled a lot of it too but still. And after the pictures were taken, I took the rubber bands off, so don't worry about that xD.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
Congrats! -Kathy

[COLOR=333333]So I ended up purchasing two sexed KCs from Metzer Farms. The lady I was going to get a pair of Pekings from was not exactly easy to communicate with. So everyone, meet Hershey and Skittles! I was a nervous momma because the post office didn't call this morning like I thought they were supposed to. So I had everyone on the lookout in case the post office forgot to call and they delivered. I was at work LOL. I got a phone call from the neighboring town (20 minutes) saying they have the ducklings and to either pick them up before it closed within the next few hours, or wait until tomorrow morning. Fortunately my parents are awesome and ran up to get them. I will say, they were a lot calmer (probably tired too, they had a busy first day, traveling first class and everything!) than the original four. They perked up after a few hours under the heat lamp and when they found their food and water, they went to town. I have a pint waterer and I already had to refill it! Granted they probably spilled a lot of it too but still. And after the pictures were taken, I took the rubber bands off, so don't worry about that xD.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
Aww they are so cute!! What does kc stand for? :)

Aww they are so cute!! What does kc stand for?
smile.png

They're Khaki Campbells ^_^ Thank you!

Anyone been to Farmer's Feed in Gilroy recently? If not, next time you're in the area you might want to stop by. Lots of new birds to looks at... OEGB's, Modern Game Bantams, Polish, huge Light Brahmas, and assortment of pheasants, call ducks, Mandarin Ducks, Wood Ducks, a young Black Swan, and more. Decent prices on feed. Lay pellets or crumbles are about $15 per 50 pound bag, scratch is $10 per 50 pound bag. Call first if you want feed to be sure they have what you want in stock.

-Kathy
I'm glad I looked at this. That's a bit of a drive for me but would be willing for some wood ducks to give my little qbert some friends. Thanks.

So cute! My pair of Cayugas came from them a week ago. They are healthy, happy, and very curious. Congrats!

Quote: Call before you go! Not sure if he's selling any of the Wood Ducks yet. If you call, call on Thursday or Friday and ask for Sean, he's the one that is managing the breeding and sales of the new fowl. Next time I'm there I'll ask about the ducks.

-Kathy

Duck at Farmer's: -Kathy
Cool duck. Almost looks like a wood duck, but must be a female as males are way more colorful. We went fishing at a big park here yesterday that has 2 ponds. Ducks and geese galore in the largest pond. Those little wood ducks are so beautiful.Makes me want some, but my WH are so much bigger, I wouldnt feel comfortable putting them together. Besides 6 are enough for us. I love going to Gilroy but it's about a 4 hr drive from us. There are mostly those and mallard ducks there and Canadian geese. It's fun to watch them.

Last edited:
Necropsies @ UCD: Goats are $120. Worth every penny. The labs etc. on birds I've sent looked like $1500 worth of stuff. I was told poultry is best done at Tulare location, and will always be free as a public health service.
They are good about chicken necropsies in Tulare. We took one of ours up there last year. Tulare is only an hour or less drive from us. Chicken necropsies are free and you are allowed to take one bird per day there.

Back
Top Bottom