California - Northern

Quote: Pictured above is a Mandarin *drake*. They also have Wood Ducks, but I couldn't get close enough for a picture.
sad.png

This is a pair of Mandarins

Pair of Wood Ducks

-Kathy

So I ended up purchasing two sexed KCs from Metzer Farms. The lady I was going to get a pair of Pekings from was not exactly easy to communicate with. So everyone, meet Hershey and Skittles! I was a nervous momma because the post office didn't call this morning like I thought they were supposed to. So I had everyone on the lookout in case the post office forgot to call and they delivered. I was at work LOL. I got a phone call from the neighboring town (20 minutes) saying they have the ducklings and to either pick them up before it closed within the next few hours, or wait until tomorrow morning. Fortunately my parents are awesome and ran up to get them.

I will say, they were a lot calmer (probably tired too, they had a busy first day, traveling first class and everything!) than the original four. They perked up after a few hours under the heat lamp and when they found their food and water, they went to town. I have a pint waterer and I already had to refill it! Granted they probably spilled a lot of it too but still. And after the pictures were taken, I took the rubber bands off, so don't worry about that xD.

goodpost.gif

Your Khaki Campbell ducklings look so beautiful
smile.png

Two (of 3) of my chickens weren't in the coop tonight. I just spent an hour with a flashlight looking around in the field behind our house (that they often hang out in, but usually within ~30 feet of their hole in the fence, usually right next to the fence under a tree) with no signs of em. They've always come back before, usually by 7 or 730. When they were young I sometimes found them right beside our house but they stopped doing that a month ago, and I searched near the fenceline for very long way in each direction. I do live in the middle of San Jose, but I can't imagine anyone would steal a chicken, I mean they're only a few bucks at the store and that's a lot easier than figuring out how to pull feathers or whatever is needed to eat them (at least in my mind). Plus of the two, one of them is nice and lets people pick it up, but the other one always runs away, and when you do manage to corner it to pick up it, it squirms and makes noise and usually makes you just drop it, so I doubt random passersby would have grabbed both of them. And if it was a dog/predator, my understanding is I would have found a scattering of feathers or something.

Left the coop open tonight, hope they're back in the morning...

Two (of 3) of my chickens weren't in the coop tonight. I just spent an hour with a flashlight looking around in the field behind our house (that they often hang out in, but usually within ~30 feet of their hole in the fence, usually right next to the fence under a tree) with no signs of em. They've always come back before, usually by 7 or 730. When they were young I sometimes found them right beside our house but they stopped doing that a month ago, and I searched near the fenceline for very long way in each direction. I do live in the middle of San Jose, but I can't imagine anyone would steal a chicken, I mean they're only a few bucks at the store and that's a lot easier than figuring out how to pull feathers or whatever is needed to eat them (at least in my mind). Plus of the two, one of them is nice and lets people pick it up, but the other one always runs away, and when you do manage to corner it to pick up it, it squirms and makes noise and usually makes you just drop it, so I doubt random passersby would have grabbed both of them. And if it was a dog/predator, my understanding is I would have found a scattering of feathers or something.

Did they show up last night?

Two (of 3) of my chickens weren't in the coop tonight.  I just spent an hour with a flashlight looking around in the field behind our house (that they often hang out in, but usually within ~30 feet of their hole in the fence, usually right next to the fence under a tree) with no signs of em.  They've always come back before, usually by 7 or 730.  When they were young I sometimes found them right beside our house but they stopped doing that a month ago, and I searched near the fenceline for very long way in each direction.    I do live in the middle of San Jose, but I can't imagine anyone would steal a chicken, I mean they're only a few bucks at the store and that's a lot easier than figuring out how to pull feathers or whatever is needed to eat them (at least in my mind).  Plus of the two, one of them is nice and lets people pick it up, but the other one always runs away, and when you do manage to corner it to pick up it, it squirms and makes noise and usually makes you just drop it, so I doubt random passersby would have grabbed both of them.  And if it was a dog/predator, my understanding is I would have found a scattering of feathers or something.

Do not underestimate some people's stupidity... my boss has had roosters, ROOSTERS! stolen from him, the feed store mutt type, the kind people would pay you to take, but no, they felt the need to climb a 6' fence to steal them... some people are just Crazy, plain and simple. And... these days pullets and hens go for anythin from $15-$35 dollars once they are grown... some people may not be crazy, just greedy. If they don't turn up, maybe keep an eye on the local craigslist...

Coyotes will take birds without a trace... but if you are in a suburban area coyotes are unlikely.

Do not underestimate some people's stupidity... my boss has had roosters, ROOSTERS! stolen from him, the feed store mutt type, the kind people would pay you to take, but no, they felt the need to climb a 6' fence to steal them... some people are just Crazy, plain and simple. And... these days pullets and hens go for anythin from $15-$35 dollars once they are grown... some people may not be crazy, just greedy. If they don't turn up, maybe keep an eye on the local craigslist...

Coyotes will take birds without a trace... but if you are in a suburban area coyotes are unlikely.
Ive seen coyotes in my area on occasion

Back
Top Bottom