California - Northern

I have all three, I guess it's just hot. Boo
It is not that hot yet. The real problems start when it is over 105. Corning can get very hot too! I lived there form 1977 to 1992. Before that, I lived close to interstate five--between I-5 and Rawson rd. on Ottman Av.

They have a thread for sale or free birds on byc
Yeah, I posted there, too. Just figured I'd check in my area too
big_smile.png

We are in redding ca..
I would totally drive a d'Anvers roo to Redding for you, just have to wait until he can stick up for himself a bit when integrated into the flock...my chicks are only two weeks old and still cuddling with mommy hen right now, so they'll need a bit of time yet, but you can have first pick once I figure out who is a roo. I'm pretty sure at least one of the Lavender cuckoo chicks is a roo, they should turn out pretty!
I've spent a lot of time working in Redding, that's an easy drive up I-5! The Red Lion on Hilltop is my home-away-from-home.

What an adorable picture! I love my d'Anvers from Boggy Bottom Bantams. I have MF and Porcelain eggs incubating from my flock.

If you want to post close up straight on pictures of their faces I might be able to help you sex them. My pullet chicks have been the mellow ones.
Well these little munchkins do not like to take headshots, but here's what I can get out of them before upsetting them and mommy hen!

It is not that hot yet. The real problems start when it is over 105. Corning can get very hot too! I lived there form 1977 to 1992. Before that, I lived close to interstate five--between I-5 and Rawson rd. on Ottman Av.

Ugh, I don't even want to think about triple digits yet! They have a lot of shade now, and we're putting some trees in around their enclosure so hopefully that'll help too. I can probably add another shade cloth. I might see if we could put a fan or something in their coop. I gotta get a bucket I can make large ice treats for them to peck at. gah!

Ugh, I don't even want to think about triple digits yet! They have a lot of shade now, and we're putting some trees in around their enclosure so hopefully that'll help too. I can probably add another shade cloth. I might see if we could put a fan or something in their coop. I gotta get a bucket I can make large ice treats for them to peck at. gah!
Did you say you have a mist setup for them? If not they sell single ones at walmart.

I would totally drive a d'Anvers roo to Redding for you, just have to wait until he can stick up for himself a bit when integrated into the flock...my chicks are only two weeks old and still cuddling with mommy hen right now, so they'll need a bit of time yet, but you can have first pick once I figure out who is a roo. I'm pretty sure at least one of the Lavender cuckoo chicks is a roo, they should turn out pretty!
I've spent a lot of time working in Redding, that's an easy drive up I-5! The Red Lion on Hilltop is my home-away-from-home. 

That sounds great. :) this is our first year with chickens. We bought our house about 2 years ago now. Finally had time to build a proper coop. I'm really loving it. I grew up in cottonwood where farming and ranching is huge as I'm sure you know if you come to Redding alot. :) our oldest hens are about 5 weeks right now. They are already in the coop. With this heat we were able to move them out sooner then normal though. Now it's just trying to keep them cool lol. :) whenever your ready just let me know. :)

This heat sucks! :mad:  What do you guys do to help keep your birds cool? I feel so bad, some of the hens were panting.  I made ice cubes out of soaking their food and freezing them, and they were playing with them while I was out there.  We also have a mist system on one half of their enclosure that I'm hoping is helping.  There's a breeze playing at it too.  I feel so bad for them!

I've been going out all day spraying their whole pen down with cool water. I also have a kiddie pool in the pen. I freeze a 2 liter soda bottle and put it in there to keep the water cold. I also took 2 more frozen soda bottles and put it in their coop where they lay to stay cool.

I've been going out all day spraying their whole pen down with cool water. I also have a kiddie pool in the pen. I freeze a 2 liter soda bottle and put it in there to keep the water cold. I also took 2 more frozen soda bottles and put it in their coop where they lay to stay cool.

There's a kiddie pool for the ducks, and we're just gonna have to keep the mist system on for most of the day (right now we just do it in the afternoon/hottest part of the day...but yikes). I am gonna be getting some 2 liter bottles tomorrow, but I just put an empty milk jug in the freezer so we've got something, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom