California - Northern

If she doesn't get back to me by tonight, I'd say good luck this weekend.:) I just know she really liked Cochins when I was showing her them last week. "They're so fat & fluffy & cute!"

I just wanted to let you know since I have so many roosters I can't really hold onto them for long. Didn't want her to get excited and then find out he was purchased. I don't think anyone will really buy him a r a Serama show anyway. But we will see!

Latest hatching

Left to right Pita/Jersey Giant Cross, Cream Legbar/EE cross, Buff Hen with either Cream Legbar or Pita she was with both Roos within a week before collecting the egg. So was the Jersey but the Cream Legbar wasnt able to mate her to my knowledge.

A pita is still in the bator fluffing out who hatched last night

Did some culinary stuff for the birdies. Two ice trays with food mush, then three bowls that are food and zucchini. After I took the picture I added some more water to the top two as those soaked up really fast. Now they're in the freezer. I also have milk jugs frozen and are in both coops so maybe that'll generate some coolness for the featherbabies. I hate seeing them so miserable! Blast this blasted heat!

Did some culinary stuff for the birdies. Two ice trays with food mush, then three bowls that are food and zucchini. After I took the picture I added some more water to the top two as those soaked up really fast. Now they're in the freezer. I also have milk jugs frozen and are in both coops so maybe that'll generate some coolness for the featherbabies. I hate seeing them so miserable! Blast this blasted heat!
You made them pie!

Ok guys! I didn't sell the cockerals so I am gonna offer them here again! They are $5 each! 2 Serama cockerals and a bantam Cochin cockeral!

Just have to share what my crazy hen started doing. I have a broody with her 3 chicks in a little coop in my yard. In the evening, I went to put the other hens & the 8-week old cockerels to bed in the big coop, and my Splash bantam Orp, "Yeti-Snowball," would not go to roost. She was pacing frantically back and forth at the door & dashing desperately around in the run. DH said to let her out to see what she does.

So she ran over to the little coop where the broody & the chicks were. We thought maybe she wanted to lay an egg in there cause that's her favorite laying spot. DH let her in there & Yeti ran over to the broody. The broody growled at her. Yeti growled right back & tried to push the broody off the chicks! Yeti started trying to get the chicks under her instead! We were just watching this like "What the heck??" Yeti got pulled back out of there & put back into the big coop.

Anybody ever have a hen try to steal chicks when they weren't even broody???

Just have to share what my crazy hen started doing. I have a broody with her 3 chicks in a little coop in my yard. In the evening, I went to put the other hens & the 8-week old cockerels to bed in the big coop, and my Splash bantam Orp, "Yeti-Snowball," would not go to roost. She was pacing frantically back and forth at the door & dashing desperately around in the run. DH said to let her out to see what she does.

So she ran over to the little coop where the broody & the chicks were. We thought maybe she wanted to lay an egg in there cause that's her favorite laying spot. DH let her in there & Yeti ran over to the broody. The broody growled at her. Yeti growled right back & tried to push the broody off the chicks! Yeti started trying to get the chicks under her instead! We were just watching this like "What the heck??" Yeti got pulled back out of there & put back into the big coop.

I have seen posts about that happening. They were usually silkies that did it.

Silly Broody Hens!

Just have to share what my crazy hen started doing.  I have a broody with her 3 chicks in a little coop in my yard.  In the evening, I went to put the other hens & the 8-week old cockerels to bed in the big coop, and my Splash bantam Orp, "Yeti-Snowball,"  would not go to roost. She was pacing frantically back and forth at the door & dashing desperately around in the run.  DH said to let her out to see what she does.

So she ran over to the little coop where the broody & the chicks were.  We thought maybe she wanted to lay an egg in there cause that's her favorite laying spot. DH let her in there & Yeti ran over to the broody.  The broody growled at her. Yeti growled right back & tried to push the broody off the chicks! Yeti started trying to get the chicks under her instead!  We were just watching this like "What the heck??" Yeti got pulled back out of there & put back into the big coop.

Wow interesting. The broody s behavior is so interesting I am really enjoying watch mine mother her chicks. They can be such good mothers. Congrats on your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom