California - Northern

How do you get NPIP certified because I'm going to start breeding chickens and want an NPIP certification

There is a waiting list for NPIP in CA. They put a limit on membership to 50 members statewide according to their website. I checked and all 50 spots looked full unless someone dropped out. It's Very unfair to small breeders who should like to ship birds and eggs.

Someone asked recently about NPIP and got this :

This is the response I got via email when I inquired:

"Can you let me know a little more information about your flock... where are you located, how many birds in the flock, do you plan to ship hatching eggs and/or chicks? I have attached information regarding the small flock program, so please read it over. If you wish to join, I will let you know if I can add you now or have to put you on the wait list for the program.
Let me know if you have questions.
Monica
Monica Della Maggiore
California Poultry Federation
California Poultry Health Board/NPIP
4640 Spyres Way, Suite 4
Modesto, CA 95356
(209) 576-6355"

How do you get NPIP certified because I'm going to start breeding chickens and want an NPIP certification

There is a waiting list for NPIP in CA. They put a limit on membership to 50 members statewide according to their website. I checked and all 50 spots looked full unless someone dropped out. It's Very unfair to small breeders who should like to ship birds and eggs.

Someone asked recently about NPIP and got this :

This is the response I got via email when I inquired:

"Can you let me know a little more information about your flock... where are you located, how many birds in the flock, do you plan to ship hatching eggs and/or chicks? I have attached information regarding the small flock program, so please read it over. If you wish to join, I will let you know if I can add you now or have to put you on the wait list for the program.

Let me know if you have questions.

Monica

Monica Della Maggiore

California Poultry Federation

California Poultry Health Board/NPIP

4640 Spyres Way, Suite 4

Modesto, CA 95356

(209) 576-6355"

Well that doesn't seem right!

-Kathy

It really didn't sound fair. But, it clearly states that NPIP limited the enrollment of smaller flocks to 50 members. Maybe they will add more if more funding becomes available.

Here's part:

How Do I Join the Program?
 Request information
 Sign Signature Form and return to the CA Poultry Health Board
 Send in $50 Annual Fee with Signature Form and the $50 Flock Certification fee for a total of $100.
Both fees are paid in one payment and will cover required fees for the year. Make check payable to California Poultry Federation.

 The Small Flock Program is capped at 50 members statewide. If the program is full, a wait list will be started and new members added as current members drop out.

Flock maximum is 100 birds. An additional surcharge of $150 will be added for flocks over 100
birds and will be invoiced at the time of testing. The maximum number of additional birds will be
allowed at the discretion of the California Poultry Federation. At the time of testing, if the flock
is a greater number of birds than agreed upon with Monica Della Maggiore, CA Poultry Health
Board Administrator, at the time of joining the program, the CPF Animal Health Tech will not
stay on the premise. All flocks 25% higher than program requirements will be instructed to join
the regular California Health Board Program and not qualify for this subsidized program.

Edited to add:

Unless I miss counted, there might be one or two spots left as of June. I think one person dropped out.

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/ca.pdf

Last edited:
Wait I can't ship eggs or chicks without it
sad.png

not everyone that ships is NPIP .

Is there anyone in Sonoma/Marin that would like to go in with me on a hemp litter order? I have not been able to find hemp bedding locally and am looking into buying it online now. It's 16.99 per 10 cf bag, but I would have to order a pallet of 30.
Anyone want to share? We are in Glen Ellen.

?
Could you please expand on this?

I thought everyone who ships live birds or hatching eggs outside their state had to be NPIP certified.
Not saying what one should or should not do and
that is the rule but not everyone does it. one example is minimum number of birds to be tested in some states I believe. some people do not want the government in there business more than it already is. Now i do not want to speculate on live birds as to me i would not want to risk live chicks being held up but when i have gotten eggs in the past I dip in a oxide solution and air dry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom