California - Northern

Hi! I'm relatively new to chickens and am getting ready to place my first online order for chicks (my previous hens were all from local farms or feed stores) I've fallen in love with the fluffy little Silkies and hope to order some day-old pullets from MPC to arrive this spring (I hear they sell out super quickly so I'll probably be checking the website obsessively for the next few months... :) )

I've heard that shipping can be hard on Bantams and wanted to see if anyone here had ordered bantams from MPC, it seems like shipping times can vary (I've heard everything from 1-4 days) and did the chicks make it okay, they seem so tiny to travel all the way from Ohio!

Hi! I'm relatively new to chickens and am getting ready to place my first online order for chicks (my previous hens were all from local farms or feed stores) I've fallen in love with the fluffy little Silkies and hope to order some day-old pullets from MPC to arrive this spring (I hear they sell out super quickly so I'll probably be checking the website obsessively for the next few months... :) )

I've heard that shipping can be hard on Bantams and wanted to see if anyone here had ordered bantams from MPC, it seems like shipping times can vary (I've heard everything from 1-4 days) and did the chicks make it okay, they seem so tiny to travel all the way from Ohio!
Welcome!

Let us know how the chicks do. It seems like MPC does a good job. I had chicks shipped via Cackle hatchery and they did fine.

I would suggest instead, in January call up Evans feed in madera and place an order for silkies (6 minimum). They order it from belt hatchery in Fresno so chicks only ship overnight from Fresno post office to madera post office. There might a feed store in Fresno or Clovis that does the same. They also have many other breeds and the chicks are healthy my first few years of birds all came from belt. Or there are a couple local breeders in madera that have silkie chicks for sale every spring if you want better quality.

Hi there, I was a little skeptical about ordering chicks online also. But I took a chance and did some research on a lot of large hatchery's with the best reviews coming from Cackle Hatchery. I took a chance and ordered a straight run of 15 Golden Comets from them. They shipped them the day they hatched, They got to Cali from Missouri in 2 days, they Guarantee that all chicks will arrive alive, if not they will refund or replace. When the postmaster called, we picked up our box and they shipped 17 chicks. All alive and peeping and scurrying around. We lost 2 for whatever reason in the first 3 days. But the rest are thriving and growing into beautiful birds. out of the 15 that survived we got 6 Roo's and 9 hens. Check them out, they have a HUGE selection of great birds.

If you don't want to have bantam chicks from Ohio, go online for Amber Waves Silkies in Norco,Calif, and bid on pictures shown of their DNA-sexed chicks since they have Silkies available year-round. A one day travel to Norco, Calif, from Fresno, to pickup day-old unsexed chicks or more expensive DNA-sexed chicks would be easier than waiting for bantam Silkies from Ohio-USPS shipped chicks. Tori Spelling (TV reality show) got her white Silkies from Amber Waves. Just a suggestion. This is probably where I'll get my next Silkies (DNA-sexed) since I don't want to re-home any possible cockerels in a straight run bantam order from out-of-state.
http://showsilkies.com/silkies for sale.htm

We have ordered alot from mypetchicken. The standards did amazing and we also had no problems with our polish bantam hens. Unfortunately our silkies didn't fair as well. They came a day late and 3 of the 9 died within the first week. They also came with some sort of virus. Sneezes and all that. They are about 2 weeks now and we are still dealing with major paste up. Common with shipped chicks. I have silkies I hatched from @RubyNala97 and they are thriving!! Absolutely adorable. Way cuter then the mpc silkie chicks. We are in california.. :)

Welcome!

Let us know how the chicks do. It seems like MPC does a good job. I had chicks shipped via Cackle hatchery and they did fine.

I would suggest instead, in January call up Evans feed in madera and place an order for silkies (6 minimum). They order it from belt hatchery in Fresno so chicks only ship overnight from Fresno post office to madera post office. There might a feed store in Fresno or Clovis that does the same. They also have many other breeds and the chicks are healthy my first few years of birds all came from belt. Or there are a couple local breeders in madera that have silkie chicks for sale every spring if you want better quality.

Hi there, I was a little skeptical about ordering chicks online also. But I took a chance and did some research on a lot of large hatchery's with the best reviews coming from Cackle Hatchery. I took a chance and ordered a straight run of 15 Golden Comets from them. They shipped them the day they hatched, They got to Cali from Missouri in 2 days, they Guarantee that all chicks will arrive alive, if not they will refund or replace. When the postmaster called, we picked up our box and they shipped 17 chicks. All alive and peeping and scurrying around. We lost 2 for whatever reason in the first 3 days. But the rest are thriving and growing into beautiful birds. out of the 15 that survived we got 6 Roo's and 9 hens. Check them out, they have a HUGE selection of great birds.
Thanks, I'd heard that Cackle had nice silkies (for a hatchery) and the look lovely, unfortunately they seem to be having some shipping problems based on this years BYC reviews, and they only sell straight run. Belt is a good local option, just wish they sold more colors then black and white!

If you don't want to have bantam chicks from Ohio, go online for Amber Waves Silkies in Norco,Calif, and bid on pictures shown of their DNA-sexed chicks since they have Silkies available year-round. A one day travel to Norco, Calif, from Fresno, to pickup day-old unsexed chicks or more expensive DNA-sexed chicks would be easier than waiting for bantam Silkies from Ohio-USPS shipped chicks. Tori Spelling (TV reality show) got her white Silkies from Amber Waves. Just a suggestion. This is probably where I'll get my next Silkies (DNA-sexed) since I don't want to re-home any possible cockerels in a straight run bantam order from out-of-state.
http://showsilkies.com/silkies for sale.htm
Thanks for the link, their Silkies are lovely! the DNA-sexed chicks are more expensive, but for me it would be worth every penny, I only have room for 3 more chickens and they need to be pullets! (we're too close to our cranky next door neighbor for any roos.) it would be so nice to pick them up too, it's only about 4 hours from here to Norco and they'd be a lot safer in our mini van then a drafty post office truck! (starts planning the great chicken trip of 2017...)

We have ordered alot from mypetchicken. The standards did amazing and we also had no problems with our polish bantam hens. Unfortunately our silkies didn't fair as well. They came a day late and 3 of the 9 died within the first week. They also came with some sort of virus. Sneezes and all that. They are about 2 weeks now and we are still dealing with major paste up. Common with shipped chicks. I have silkies I hatched from @RubyNala97 and they are thriving!! Absolutely adorable. Way cuter then the mpc silkie chicks. We are in california..
smile.png
aww, poor things :( I'm glad you were able to hatch some healthy ones yourself!

Thanks, I'd heard that Cackle had nice silkies (for a hatchery) and the look lovely, unfortunately they seem to be having some shipping problems based on this years BYC reviews, and they only sell straight run. Belt is a good local option, just wish they sold more colors then black and white! 

Thanks for the link, their Silkies are lovely! the DNA-sexed chicks are more expensive, but for me it would be worth every penny, I only have room for 3 more chickens and they need to be pullets! (we're too close to our cranky next door neighbor for any roos.) it would be so nice to pick them up too, it's only about 4 hours from here to Norco and they'd be a lot safer in our mini van then a drafty post office truck! (starts planning the great chicken trip of 2017...) 

aww, poor things :( I'm glad you were able to hatch some healthy ones yourself! 

Me too. We spent almost 200 dollars on chicks from mpc. We were pretty bummed. :(

Back
Top Bottom