California - Northern

Alrighty, I will ask my NorCal peeps what I should do with this bird. Hatched him from an ebay BCM egg (I know, I know...) . Here's my quandary: He's really a beautiful guy, though definitely not SOP; he has a very easy going personality - but, he bears only slight resemblance to a BCM (light gold hackles and lightly feathered shanks and outside toes) so I have no idea what to call him if i do try to sell him (or give him away...) Thoughts?

Alrighty, I will ask my NorCal peeps what I should do with this bird. Hatched him from an ebay BCM egg (I know, I know...) . Here's my quandary: He's really a beautiful guy, though definitely not SOP; he has a very easy going personality - but, he bears only slight resemblance to a BCM (light gold hackles and lightly feathered shanks and outside toes) so I have no idea what to call him if i do try to sell him (or give him away...) Thoughts?

Id simply sell him as a mutt cockerel or donate him to a roo rescue (that is if you cant keep him and wont process him) personally Id grow him out to freezer camp but thats me I know not everyone can. * edit* also know that from what I understand APA breeds are only recognized when it can be provent to breed true 50% of the time and top SOP quality is only really intended to describe about 10% of a breed population. So if you want to label it as a BCM just tell them its pet quality.

Last edited:

Hi there. Not sure it makes a difference where line is drawn. I know I'm in northern cacuz I live 2 hours south of SF. So,what's your chic question. I have a new pair. 5mo old Orpingtons

Hey everybody! Just got back from Concord Feed!

I gave them a stack of BYC 2017 Calendars, so if you go into one of their stores (PH today and probably Concord tomorrow) in the next few days, they might give you a free copy!!

I love their support, they are great people! As before, they let me put up a few bumper stickers on the inside of their chick brooders!

2_byc-feed-store.jpg
!

They have their chick delivery schedule here: https://concordfeed.com/chickens/concord-feed-2017-chick-delivery-schedules/

I'm so glad to see them expanding their stores to five locations in the Bay Area, from Fairfield all the way to Livermore!

Last edited:

I gave them a stack of BYC 2017 Calendars, so if you go into one of their stores (PH today and probably Concord tomorrow) in the next few days, they might give you a free copy!!

I love their support, they are great people! As before, they let me put up a few bumper stickers on the inside of their chick brooders!

2_byc-feed-store.jpg
!

They have their chick delivery schedule here: https://concordfeed.com/chickens/concord-feed-2017-chick-delivery-schedules/

I'm so glad to see them expanding their stores to five locations in the Bay Area, from Fairfield all the way to Livermore!
That is great news!

2_byc-feed-store.jpg
!

Didnt realize you are so close to me

Been a long time between being able to work on my salvage built coop. My friend let me build on their property
Its likely to be my retirement home for the older layers (no boys.)
Its actually 2 coops with a large common run that I plan to split eventually.
All except hardware are up-cycled materials.

Just put in the nest box on this side roosts will go in then time to close it up

The interior of the other side

Looking at the front of the coop

Just need to finish the front on the right side and complete the run gate.

Then put the netting over the top and secure the horse fencing a bit more.(its covering the railings.

I plan to add chicken wire and pavers along the sides for a no dig barrier. The back and under the coop sides have chain link dig barrier.

Hope to be finished by the end of next week. Finally have all the materials

Been a long time between being able to work on my salvage built coop. My friend let me build on their property
Its likely to be my retirement home for the older layers (no boys.)
Its actually 2 coops with a large common run that I plan to split eventually.
All except hardware are up-cycled materials.

Just put in the nest box on this side roosts will go in then time to close it up

The interior of the other side

Looking at the front of the coop

Just need to finish the front on the right side and complete the run gate.

Then put the netting over the top and secure the horse fencing a bit more.(its covering the railings.

I plan to add chicken wire and pavers along the sides for a no dig barrier. The back and under the coop sides have chain link dig barrier.

Hope to be finished by the end of next week. Finally have all the materials
Nice job Chris!

Back
Top Bottom