California - Northern

I think I'll be good on ventilation. Both Windows open, plus the upper half of the door will be able to open also.

Most people wouldn't need to consider so much ventilation but Central CA gets some brutal summers. Normally I don't get 4 straight months of scorching 90 to 100 degree summers but it was the most brutal past year of our State-declared drought in our SoCal area and I lost two of my favorite hens to heat-related compromise. The half door sounds nice -- are you covering the open half door with hardwire?

Yes. The lower portion of the door will have a permanent "screen door" attachment that will keep the chickens in when I open the top portion. I spent a good part of the morning working on that door. I'm pretty excited about what I've created so far.

I assume you are looking for some?  I know a top NPIP breeder in KS who also ships who has both white or blue Sebastapol geese - beautiful curly-feathered plumes.  They have juvenile goslings available.  PM me if you're interested in them :) .

No I'm not looking. I've ordered a pair of pilgrims and was hoping someone might know where to get the niacin they need and how much to give them?

Yes. The lower portion of the door will have a permanent "screen door" attachment that will keep the chickens in when I open the top portion. I spent a good part of the morning working on that door. I'm pretty excited about what I've created so far.

Keep all the entire door screened since chickens can fly out open areas. Even flight-less Silkies can jump up to four feet! I'd be proud of a nice build like yours too!

Keep all the entire door screened since chickens can fly out open areas. Even flight-less Silkies can jump up to four feet! I'd be proud of a nice build like yours too!
What I meant was that the screen is permanently attached to the lower portion of the door, so that when I open the upper door the screen portion stays closed along with the lower section of the door.

What I meant was that the screen is permanently attached to the lower portion of the door, so that when I open the upper door the screen portion stays closed along with the lower section of the door.

Got it! I thought that's what you meant but wasn't sure. So exciting to get a coop made!

Got it! I thought that's what you meant but wasn't sure. So exciting to get a coop made!
It is really exciting. To be perfectly honest, I am having a blast building this coop. Yesterday I started building a little flower box to hang under the front window, and today after work I plan to install plexiglass in the window frames I made and possibly get them hung.

Some of my friends think I'm going a little overboard on my build, but it's fun.

Here is where I am at so far.

Last edited:
Hi all, I know there is a lot of expertise here so I thought I'd ask you all for advice. I have 8 chicks outside with a broody right now & a few of them keep getting pasty butt. I have had to wash them several times because there is a lot of poop stuck to their butts & I don't want anything to get blocked up! I have never had this problem before & it is a total pain having to catch them, so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Could it be from cocci, because I know I have that in my soil and they are not on medicated feed? I also have 3 chicks indoors that I am treating for cocci but they have not had pasty butt. They are all 8 days old.

Back
Top Bottom