California - Northern

It is really exciting. To be perfectly honest, I am having a blast building this coop. Yesterday I started building a little flower box to hang under the front window, and today after work I plan to install plexiglass in the window frames I made and possibly get them hung.

Some of my friends think I'm going a little overboard on my build, but it's fun.

Here is where I am at so far.

Can't remember if you said or not -- will the hens have some open free-range time? Chickens only use the coop to sleep or lay eggs but spend the rest of the day foraging and scratching. Someone gave me the dimensions of 1 square foot per each chicken of open ventilation near the roofline, 4 square feet per each chicken on coop floor space, and minimum 10 square feet per each chicken of foraging area. The manufacturer of our 4x4 Barn coop said 15 to 16 chickens would fit. Nope, in a 4x4 floor space that means 4 chickens and not 16 chickens -- just because we can squeeze 16 chickens in the Barn coop doesn't mean the ammonia they poop overnight will be healthy for them. Chickens poop a LOT.

Can't remember if you said or not -- will the hens have some open free-range time?  Chickens only use the coop to sleep or lay eggs but spend the rest of the day foraging and scratching.  Someone gave me the dimensions of 1 square foot per each chicken of open ventilation near the roofline, 4 square feet per each chicken on coop floor space, and minimum 10 square feet per each chicken of foraging area.  The manufacturer of our 4x4 Barn coop said 15 to 16 chickens would fit.  Nope, in a 4x4 floor space that means 4 chickens and not 16 chickens -- just because we can squeeze 16 chickens in the Barn coop doesn't mean the ammonia they poop overnight will be healthy for them.  Chickens poop a LOT.

Yes. They will have my big backyard to debug for me :)

Hi all, I know there is a lot of expertise here so I thought I'd ask you all for advice.  I have 8 chicks outside with a broody right now & a few of them keep getting pasty butt. I have had to wash them several times because there is a lot of poop stuck to their butts & I don't want anything to get blocked up! I have never had this problem before & it is a total pain having to catch them, so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Could it be from cocci, because I know I have that in my soil and they are not on medicated feed? I also have 3 chicks indoors that I am treating for cocci but they have not had pasty butt. They are all 8 days old.

I had this problem with some silkie chicks we hatched. Probiotics in the water helped and after cleaning their butt I put baseline over their vent. This made it longer before I had to clean them again and kept the poop from sticking so much to their vent.

My 1st cochin hatched this morning

Back
Top Bottom