California - Northern

yes! i would love to see what you have done. LOVE re-using. i got this free wire cage thing about 5'high and 3X5ish in dimensions but i was always catching myself on the wire or bumping my head. out it went last month to the curb with a free sign...it was my "broody pen" but just a little too small. New one coming along but 4X10 and front is 7' high and back is 6'. we put wire and then two layers of stepping stones to prevent any burrowing animals like rats or whatever..gophers undermining it....part of the front will be hardware cloth and sides and back all lumber from a recycling place....GOOD boards 8' long. we had to cut to 8' as some were about 12-16'. $20 for 26 8' boards. some cedar, some redwood some fir....such a deal! i did 3/8" siding on the back side tho and sealed it with primer and will paint blue sky on that with clouds....the other pen was not water tight so could not use in winter at all. looking forward to first hatch!

I may be building my coop completely from new materials but I am a big fan of reusing wood. I have a woodshop where I build household items such as jewelry boxes and picture frames from barn wood, old fence wood, and pallet wood. It always amazes me when I sand down an old piece of wood and expose beauty underneath the old water stains that the world didn't know was there hiding.

Last night I was going to build a larger brooder box from some old Barnwood that I have in my shop. But I ended up using a big cardboard box that I had on hand instead.

I have been watching your progress. GOOD JOB! Here is my progress, from a broken down old shed to the chicken castle you see here. I am painting as I go along when it is dry out. My 8 chicks are too small to move in yet, so it gives me time to really "Trick it Out".. all the lumber was already here when I moved here saved me alot of money. Gonna have solar panels, auto door, auto feeder and watering system. And yes I think I'm going chicken crazy! but so what! I'm retired!
D.gif

Retirement is a good time for chickeneering! That's what we did and it's nice to be home and watch chicken TV and monitor their health and have time to make modifications on their housing when needed.

I may be building my coop completely from new materials but I am a big fan of reusing wood. I have a woodshop where I build household items such as jewelry boxes and picture frames from barn wood, old fence wood, and pallet wood. It always amazes me when I sand down an old piece of wood and expose beauty underneath the old water stains that the world didn't know was there hiding.

Last night I was going to build a larger brooder box from some old Barnwood that I have in my shop. But I ended up using a big cardboard box that I had on hand instead.
Nice brooder!

Anyone here who is looking for some Silkie or Sizzle cockerels? I'm full up with them right now. Two Cuckoo Silkie cockerels, two flat Sizzle cockerels, one very ugly yet cute hatchery quality Silkie cockerel. I've also got two Silkie youngsters that are mixed buff/blue color and I am 80% sure are a pair. The Cuckoos are $30 each, Sizzles are $20. The hatchery cockerel is free to a good home. The pair is $45 at their current age (maybe 12 weeks).

Anyone here who is looking for some Silkie or Sizzle cockerels? I'm full up with them right now. Two Cuckoo Silkie cockerels, two flat Sizzle cockerels, one very ugly yet cute hatchery quality Silkie cockerel. I've also got two Silkie youngsters that are mixed buff/blue color and I am 80% sure are a pair. The Cuckoos are $30 each, Sizzles are $20. The hatchery cockerel is free to a good home. The pair is $45 at their current age (maybe 12 weeks).

any Silkie pullet chicks

Back
Top Bottom