California - Northern

Here are some of the laying boxes I made. Do you think this will be good enough for the hens? I saw this in a picture on BYC.

If it works for you and the hens, of course it's good! I like having at least an 8-inch wide nestbox ledge for the hens to walk on as they select a nestbox. You might want to use cleats/steps on the ramp -- I like 3-inches apart for bantam as well as large fowl. I tried steps 4-inches apart and it didn't work as well. Put a 2 or 3-inch tall board across the nestbox entrances so eggs and bedding don't fall out. Looks like that middle nestbox below might not get much use since the ramp blocks most of it or are those going to be nestboxes below? Looks like you had fun putting it all together!

Grrr. I don't think my lovely Brahma roo is working out... All the hens he mates with are loosing their feathers on their backs. I bought aprons but have been hesitant to put them on the hens because it has been either raining or too warm (up to 80, when they are not yet used to it). I am wondering if his size is the issue - though even the Brahma hen is starting to loose some feathers
1f615.png

Anyone have a nice year old roo that doesn't ruin his hens? Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, or Welsumer?

Last edited:
I have one early bird Australorp that has decided to pip dead center of the egg. Auugh! None of the others have even pipped internally yet. I hate when they don't pip by the book, it makes me nervous.

You are correct. The laying boxes. need to be reconfigured, but other than that I finally finished the coop! I really dislike hanging chicken wire, but everything else was very fun to make! those boxes are 26 IN by 24 IN and I will build a walkway, ladder as you suggested!.... now I wait for the chicks
to grow bigger, that wont take too long. Thanks

I have one early bird Australorp that has decided to pip dead center of the egg. Auugh! None of the others have even pipped internally yet. I hate when they don't pip by the book, it makes me nervous.

I just finished the oddest hatch I have ever experienced and it started that way. A wise BYCer told me to remember a malpo pip is equivalent to an internal pip, so they are often early. Ugh, though, I feel your nervousness!!

Back
Top Bottom