California - Northern

Anyone in the Humboldt area interested in two 3wk-old Mille Fleur D'Uccle chicks? I have a couple extra. They were sexed female at birth, but one is looking a little roo-y. Happy and healthy! Just too many.

Hey, don't I know you from another thread?!?! :gig
I got my teaching credential from HSU - lived there about 2-1/2 years!
I'm hatching a bunch of TJchickens d'Uccles to sell on CL - bantams are quite popular, so if you wanted to sell them, you could most likely do it that way as well! They are the cutest things ever!! :love

Last edited:
Talking about Barred Rocks, does anyone on here have non-hatchery birds?  The teen who helps take care of my breeding flocks of Pita PInta and Langshan is interested in breeding them.  He has a very small flock but they are hatchery birds.  He wants to breed them for eggs and meat.

I don't breed them but I have a pullet I got from a guy here on BYC who sells chicks and hatching eggs. He's not local but he does ship. She's a really nice bird, wish I had more like her but the hatching eggs I got (despite being well packed) arrived quite, er, scrambled, so she was the only one that hatched. I believe the breeder's username was Felix1.

Hey, don't I know you from another thread?!?! :gig
I got my teaching credential from HSU - lived there about 2-1/2 years!
I'm hatching a bunch of TJchickens d'Uccles to sell on CL - bantams are quite popular, so if you wanted to sell them, you could most likely do it that way as well! They are the cutest things ever!! :love

Hahaha, Hey! I went to HSU, too. Then I stuck around, because moving back to the Central Valley didn't sound great.

I'll list on Craigslist! Thanks for the advice!

I don't breed them but I have a pullet I got from a guy here on BYC who sells chicks and hatching eggs. He's not local but he does ship. She's a really nice bird, wish I had more like her but the hatching eggs I got (despite being well packed) arrived quite, er, scrambled, so she was the only one that hatched. I believe the breeder's username was Felix1.
Thank you! Do you know if he is in California? I'm trying to find someone close.

I had a peacemaker White Leghorn for 3 yrs that no one could depose as alpha leader but then she went bonkers on all her flockmates when flock dynamics changed with the addition of new birds -- she wouldn't calm down, too much aggression, so she was re-homed into a friend's established flock where she had no problem fitting in. I prefer non-combative hens that don't start trouble yet have no problem defending themselves if the occasion arises. That kinda sounds like a Pita and a Breda both. Also, health issues -- Breda have some health issues that breeders are working on. Both Pita and Breda sound like breeds worthwhile to improve because of their fabulous temperaments. Would it be too much to ask you the weight of your Pita hen?
I have had Pita Pinta for almost 4 years now. This is my 3rd season of breeding them and I have probably hatched close to 200 chicks. We use the extra boys for meat and the pullets that don't make it into the breeding program are sold or kept for egg laying. The chicks are very friendly and not aggressive. We have not had a single aggressive pullet/hen. A few of the males have been standoffish and peck when picked up but I have never had to watch my back or worry about a sneak attack. They watch over their girls and vocally protest when I pick up the hens but have never come at me. Here in town, I have quite a few chicken breed odds and ends but the PP get along fine with all of them. They are good foragers and are too busy doing their own thing to get involved in flock disputes. They are not flighty like the Bresse we used to breed even though they are only medium sized large fowl. Some of my Langshan on the other hand would love to roost in our mulberry tree and are always up on top of the coop.

It is a very small gene pool here in the US and some defects and health issues have popped up that we are trying to get rid of. I have had some hens suddenly develop reproductive problems at around 1 1/2-2 yr. I sent some in to Davis and they reported back that unlike normal chickens, the hens that died had 2 functioning ovaries. That messed them up and resulted in death. I took last year off from breeding them so this year's breeding hens are 2 yrs old. I'm hoping that any reproductive problems would have shown up by now.
fl.gif

I have had Pita Pinta for almost 4 years now. This is my 3rd season of breeding them and I have probably hatched close to 200 chicks. We use the extra boys for meat and the pullets that don't make it into the breeding program are sold or kept for egg laying. The chicks are very friendly and not aggressive. We have not had a single aggressive pullet/hen. A few of the males have been standoffish and peck when picked up but I have never had to watch my back or worry about a sneak attack. They watch over their girls and vocally protest when I pick up the hens but have never come at me. Here in town, I have quite a few chicken breed odds and ends but the PP get along fine with all of them. They are good foragers and are too busy doing their own thing to get involved in flock disputes. They are not flighty like the Bresse we used to breed even though they are only medium sized large fowl. Some of my Langshan on the other hand would love to roost in our mulberry tree and are always up on top of the coop.

It is a very small gene pool here in the US and some defects and health issues have popped up that we are trying to get rid of. I have had some hens suddenly develop reproductive problems at around 1 1/2-2 yr. I sent some in to Davis and they reported back that unlike normal chickens, the hens that died had 2 functioning ovaries. That messed them up and resulted in death. I took last year off from breeding them so this year's breeding hens are 2 yrs old. I'm hoping that any reproductive problems would have shown up by now.
fl.gif

Great information!

Meg2000000 is on the thread!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom