California - Northern

Hi all,

I'm here in N California... Oakland. Saying hi and then going to read back through the thread.
Been raising chickens for about 9 years. We've got 6 hens.
welcome-byc.gif

I like your plan @PetRock . I found someone to board a cockerel for me while I am away this summer, so I will have the option to hatch my own chicks for the first time this Fall. So I am trying to decide which of my cockerels to keep. I have mostly Orpingtons and bantam Orpingtons in my flock, and the hens/pullets are black, splash, blue mottled, and possibly jubilee (not 100% sure on her gender yet).

I am trying to decide between a chocolate cockerel, who would really be the best in terms of breeding, or the jubilee cockerel who has the nicest personality. My son wants to keep the jubilee, which would pretty much just give me a bunch of random looking chickens I think, but personality goes a long way. :) And since I am not breeding for show, it doesn't really matter I guess!
That's exciting! It is always hard for me to decide which cockerel to keep for breeding. We process the extra cockerels unless I find someone who wants one from either of my two breeds (Pita Pinta & Langshan). It is up to me to decide which boys go and which ones stay. I always keep 4 or so to see how they develop. Fortunately, my boys and some of my breeding groups are on a friend's 10 acre farm so I have the luxury of keeping a few around. I am lookiing forward to moving to our property outside of Placerville and having daily control over all my birds.

They are all tucked under the heat plate now so no pics yet but I just traded Dyan Blaine 4 pita pinta chicks for 4 of her Lavender EE bantams. These are my first bantams they are so tiny. and so darn cute. Ill get pics when I can.

I just put my chicks out 3 days ago.They are already walking up to their coop box. I was afraid at first but I got over it. When I go out there in the morning they greet me. I love having them outside with me when I tend my garden.

I just put my chicks out 3 days ago.They are already walking up to their coop box. I was afraid at first but I got over it. When I go out there in the morning they greet me. I love having them outside with me when I tend my garden.
Well just make sure they aren't tending to your garden or you wont have a garden left :)

They are all tucked under the heat plate now so no pics yet but I just traded Dyan Blaine 4 pita pinta chicks for 4 of her Lavender EE bantams. These are my first bantams they are so tiny. and so darn cute. Ill get pics when I can.

My bantam Silkies are my longest lived birds. They've outlasted our large fowl through cold weather and heatwaves. People think bantams are just fluff but they are quite hardy and practical breeds to have around. Even after outliving their usefulness for egg-laying, they still make good broodies, are useful for fertilizer, and good weed and bug control, plus the younger hens learn from them.

A Breda pullet learning bug patrol with the two older Silkies (in the top right of photo)

Two Silkies on weed/bug patrol

Watch out when you're digging. I have a Silkie that wants to sit on my shovel or hoe when digging. Sometimes I sadly have to fence them off from my serious gardening.

They are SOOOO TINY. So cute. I really love these little guys. Maybe Dyann can share pics of the parents. Lavender EE (Dyann says pretty much 90% Ameraucana)
They lay such pretty blue eggs. Hoping for a quad but will settle for a pair.

They are SOOOO TINY. So cute. I really love these little guys. Maybe Dyann can share pics of the parents. Lavender EE (Dyann says pretty much 90% Ameraucana)
They lay such pretty blue eggs. Hoping for a quad but will settle for a pair.

Bantams are a hoot! The little blue eggs will be a nice bonus!

Back
Top Bottom