California - Northern

I have an EE roo hatched in mid Jan who found his voice this morning. Can't keep him. Anyone want him?

He's half Jersey Giant and looks like one. Should grow to 10lb or more since dad is 13+lbs.

They left at some point in the day and I have not seen them back. Door will be open for them till night if they want to come back. I placed a box of straw on a high shelf and placed a pan with some scratch, wheat and flock raiser on another high spot in the event they do come back to garage. Even if they dont stay they were pretty and I would have been glad to have them around.
They were back yesterday and today building the nest on my garage door opener. She freaked out tonight when the garage door went to close and I found the next had an egg in it. We ended up catching her and I moved the egg and her into an open cardboard box lined with straw. The box is well open on the side and has a towel draped over it. She has stayed in the box but I dont think she is on the egg. I placed the box in an out of the way spot in the garage so she wont be disturbed. I placed a bowl of water and feed is still available to her. The door will be open during the day so the male can come and go but he usually stays out of the garage except to bring nest material. I hope that she will make the transition to the box it was just a very unfortunate place to build a nest. They didnt seem to mind our coming and going in the garage but the opener moving was a problem. I think she is traumatized a bit. There was no other safe place to put her this late in the process.

They were back yesterday and today building the nest on my garage door opener. She freaked out tonight when the garage door went to close and I found the next had an egg in it. We ended up catching her and I moved the egg and her into an open cardboard box lined with straw. The box is well open on the side and has a towel draped over it. She has stayed in the box but I dont think she is on the egg. I placed the box in an out of the way spot in the garage so she wont be disturbed. I placed a bowl of water and feed is still available to her. The door will be open during the day so the male can come and go but he usually stays out of the garage except to bring nest material. I hope that she will make the transition to the box it was just a very unfortunate place to build a nest. They didnt seem to mind our coming and going in the garage but the opener moving was a problem. I think she is traumatized a bit. There was no other safe place to put her this late in the process.

Just like all living beings, she'll have to learn to adjust or go someplace else to nest. Hope it works out -- usually birds are very picky about where they choose to nest.

This has probably been posted before but it is a great resource from UC Davis on troubleshooting hatching problems. I'm dealing with some problems with hatching my Pita Pinta and trying to figure out if there is something I can do to resolve them. It might just be the small gene pool we have here in this country and the inbreeding that is necessary in order to keep the breed going.

http://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8127.pdf

Just like all living beings, she'll have to learn to adjust or go someplace else to nest. Hope it works out -- usually birds are very picky about where they choose to nest.
She was sitting on the electrical cord for the overhead lights this morning. She flew out shortly after I opened the garage this morning but within a few minutes she came back and was sitting on the cord again. I think they usually lay 2 eggs (like pigeons) So she may be back to lay the second today because the first was yesterday. They are very pretty.

This has probably been posted before but it is a great resource from UC Davis on troubleshooting hatching problems. I'm dealing with some problems with hatching my Pita Pinta and trying to figure out if there is something I can do to resolve them. It might just be the small gene pool we have here in this country and the inbreeding that is necessary in order to keep the breed going.

Im thinking aside from the inbreeding humidity and nutrition are probably the causes. Looking at the list most of the issues seem related to the weak or failed pipping with late deaths. Most of these seem to be low temp, high humidity during incubation and or nutrition.

Send some Pita Pinta eggs my way and let me see how they do for me

Im thinking aside from the inbreeding humidity and nutrition are probably the causes. Looking at the list most of the issues seem related to the weak or failed pipping with late deaths. Most of these seem to be low temp, high humidity during incubation and or nutrition.
I've been looking over the list carefully. I feed them King Freedom layer pellets along with sprouted grains and extra fruit, vegies, etc. I also give them wet mash in the AM with calendula flowers, kelp, and dried alfalfa added. I make sure that the layer pellets are the majority of their food and the rest is supplemental.

I am hatching both in my Brinsea Octogon 20 and in my GQF cabinet hatcher. I thought that I was having problems regulating the temp in the Brinsea only to find out that I needed to change the batteries in my Brinsea Spot Check. But my cabinet holds temps and humidity really well. The Delaware and Pita Pinta were both incubated and hatched in my cabinet. Perhaps the Pita Pinta need slightly different conditions. Cabinet temp is set at 100 degrees. Humidity is 52% for the first 18-19 days and 65% for hatch. The Dels started early and most hatched before most of the Pita PInta even pipped. I have Langshan and Pita Pinta incubating now so it will be interesting to see how they hatch. They are due to hatch on Sat.

Send some Pita Pinta eggs my way and let me see how they do for me
Will do! We will have to arrange a time. I will probably be moving my Pita Pinta breeding flock to the farm. Pedro is driving my husband crazy with his crowing! I think that I will switch out roosters for a while and put an older boy in with the girls. I am winding down on my breeding for the year because I need to start getting ready to put our house on the market! I can hardly wait to be up on our own land and be able to take care of all my birds myself.

Back
Top Bottom