California - Northern

Gaaahhh! I am so glad today is a bit cooler and the forecast looks great! We had three days of 90 something here and yesterday I had to break out the mister for the girls. That helped a lot. In the summer low nineties aren't going to be so bad but now -nobody has had time to acclimate, including us people! I felt like it was 100.
1f61d.png
1f61d.png
1f61d.png

It was 100 here in Boyes Springs. I wish we had, had just 90's it always amazes me how Sonoma Valley can very temperature wise.

He is jubilee. The chocolate one that I thought was a cockerel is now looking like a pullet.  

Lol. You can borrow back your choclate boy if you want. He is a good boy but still over breeding some hens. But my hens are small and he is BIG.
He protects his girls well but I need to build him his own pen.

Lol. You can borrow back your choclate boy if you want. He is a good boy but still over breeding some hens. But my hens are small and he is BIG.
He protects his girls well but I need to build him his own pen.

Nah, I liked him but he crowed when it was dark. My neighbor did not like him, haha! I don't even know if I'll be able to keep the cockerel I have; it really all depends on my neighbor's tolerance level. Here is a picture of my jubilee cockerel, he is 2 months old.

And my pullet, same age.

I am loving the jubilees, they are really pretty and friendly.

Nah, I liked him but he crowed when it was dark. My neighbor did not like him, haha! I don't even know if I'll be able to keep the cockerel I have; it really all depends on my neighbor's tolerance level. Here is a picture of my jubilee cockerel, he is 2 months old. I have some fertile eggs on order. Right now I have 18 pita pints eggs in the bator. And my pullet, same age. I am loving the jubilees, they are really pretty and friendly.

Its snake season even in town. Was just surprised with 2 4+ foot snakes in my back yard. One went under the fence to the neighbors and they caught it. I caught the other. I think they are gopher snakes not venomous ones but I don't take chances either way. Ill be "rehoming" it to the wild this evening. Sorry no pics cuz was too busy catching it and putting it in a bucket to take pics. (And Im not taking the lid off just to get pics)

This is only the second time Ive seen snakes on my property and both times since Ive had chickens. The other was a california king snake so I just left him alone and he moved on. This time though one was in the enclosure where the newly hatched baby was with her mama. Not taking any chances with these guys.

Its snake season even in town. Was just surprised with 2 4+ foot snakes in my back yard. One went under the fence to the neighbors and they caught it. I caught the other. I think they are gopher snakes not venomous ones but I don't take chances either way. Ill be "rehoming" it to the wild this evening. Sorry no pics cuz was too busy catching it and putting it in a bucket to take pics. (And Im not taking the lid off just to get pics)

This is only the second time Ive seen snakes on my property and both times since Ive had chickens. The other was a california king snake so I just left him alone and he moved on. This time though one was in the enclosure where the newly hatched baby was with her mama. Not taking any chances with these guys.
Chicken food=rodents=snakes. I wish some non-venomous snakes would move into my yard = natural rat population control. I'm smack in the urban burbs and have seen many a rat in my yard since we got the chickens and I don't feed food on the ground and my chickens don't really bill out food and I bring the food in every night so there is nothing for the rats to eat and yet they still get into the run. I wish some snakes would move in and take care of them. I don't mind snakes as long as I know they aren't venomous - but then again, I'm one of those weirdos who has them as pets.

Chicken food=rodents=snakes. I wish some non-venomous snakes would move into my yard = natural rat population control. I'm smack in the urban burbs and have seen many a rat in my yard since we got the chickens and I don't feed food on the ground and my chickens don't really bill out food and I bring the food in every night so there is nothing for the rats to eat and yet they still get into the run. I wish some snakes would move in and take care of them. I don't mind snakes as long as I know they aren't venomous - but then again, I'm one of those weirdos who has them as pets.
You can have this one if you were close to Antioch

[COLOR=1D2129]Its snake season even in town. Was just surprised with 2 4+ foot snakes in my back yard. One went under the fence to the neighbors and they caught it. I caught the other. I think they are gopher snakes not venomous ones but I don't take chances either way. Ill be "rehoming" it to the wild this evening. Sorry no pics cuz was too busy catching it and putting it in a bucket to take pics. (And Im not taking the lid off just to get pics)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=1D2129]This is only the second time Ive seen snakes on my property and both times since Ive had chickens. The other was a california king snake so I just left him alone and he moved on. This time though one was in the enclosure where the newly hatched baby was with her mama. Not taking any chances with these guys.[/COLOR]

What??? That really is throwing out the baby with the bath water. Having snakes around is good because they keep the rodent population down. Of course you don't want a rattlesnake, but they are easy to ID, especially for a larger snake: viper head (triangular) and rattles at the tale. But a gopher snake or garter or king snake is good to have around! Inam always happy to see them and guess what? I can't remember which one but one of them keeps rattlers away...

Back
Top Bottom