California - Northern

Hey all, I'm in San Jose and looking for rehoming for two chickens in our little backyard flock... the rehoming forum sent me here. Both are hens about two years old. We're getting into trouble because these two girls are annoying our neighbors. I'm wondering if somebody with more space might be interested in taking them in or have any suggestions for what to do with them.

One is a buff Orpington named Dolly. She goes broody a lot, and would actually be a great mum if you're looking for a chicken that likes hatching eggs. She's hatched a batch of chicks and one of Muscovy ducklings. Mothered them both until they were much bigger than she is. Unfortunately we're not really set up to raise chicks, so she's in the broody buster yelling a lot.

The other hen I'm looking for a home for is a barred rock named Sue. Sue is definitely a hen -- lays eggs almost every day -- but has taken up crowing. Our neighbors hate it. I've tried a lot of things to get her to stop, but will happily take suggestions too.

Please help! Any ideas?

HI:
If you want to pass your hens onto H2oratt, I can vouch for her, as it was my Barred Rock that she picked up just yesterday. Great family and they know chickens.

(That's funny you mention the hen crowing...mine did that a few times...not at the crack of dawn or anything. I read it's a hormonal thing.....I also had some squirrels making the call of when the hens laid..I kid you not!)

Barred Rock are such nice hens....mine laid everyday too. Maybe she'd be a good companion for mine at her new home.

Hi everyone. I don't think I've posted here yet. I'm from way North just below the Oregon border.

Fostercitychick you're so right, my Barred Rock is so sweet too! If she's scared she jumps up into my arms and likes to hang out on my shoulder. She comes when she's called, like when she goes down the driveway too far. Only her and my Silkie pullet come by name, the rest come to "Babies!". They aren't babies anymore but they think they are. :)

Hi everyone. I don't think I've posted here yet. I'm from way North just below the Oregon border.

Fostercitychick you're so right, my Barred Rock is so sweet too! If she's scared she jumps up into my arms and likes to hang out on my shoulder. She comes when she's called, like when she goes down the driveway too far. Only her and my Silkie pullet come by name, the rest come to "Babies!". They aren't babies anymore but they think they are. :)
Nice place up there! Enjoy the chickens

welcome-group.gif

We can take them if you are willing to drive them to Stockton. We just picked up a barred rock with all her equipment, coop, etc. last night. Yours could go in with her.

If you don't mind the crowing, this would be great! I'd be happy to bring her to you. She's a very sweet girl -- just a little loud for neighbors in our super tiny backyard. Morning crowers and late sleepers just don't mix.

Thanks for vouching for her, FosterCityChick! Makes me feel good to know that she can go to a good home. Maybe she'll be friends with yours.

If you don't mind the crowing, this would be great! I'd be happy to bring her to you. She's a very sweet girl -- just a little loud for neighbors in our super tiny backyard. Morning crowers and late sleepers just don't mix.

Thanks for vouching for her, FosterCityChick! Makes me feel good to know that she can go to a good home. Maybe she'll be friends with yours.
Sure, we have a lot of crowing here. They won need to crow. Pm me and tell me when you would like to bring her.

I was under the impression that chickens shouldn't get wet or didn't like to get wet...I don't know why I thought that. It sounds like they don't mind it at all... Which is good when it gets so hot. :)

Back
Top Bottom