California - Northern

Sure, we have a lot of crowing here. They won need to crow. Pm me and tell me when you would like to bring her.
Would you like a cockerel or two also, lol? I have two black/white, one lighter, one darker, Dominique-type in Gilroy who are looking for a flock to join.

Hi Nor Cal peeps! So my husband and I grew up in the Bay Area and are thinking about moving back... my question is if anyone has recommendations on where to look that is chicken friendly and still affordable near a BART. I have a small flock of 6 hens that I would refuse to leave behind when we move. Any thoughts on specific cities or neighborhoods I should check out? Any input is appreciated!!

Seems like many cities are open to chickens, up to a certain small number in the city, it is the roosters that are not allowed.
While I was thinking of getting chickens for the last year or so, I was surprised by how many people in every city you can imagine in the Bay Area that have them, along with the rural areas of course.
People have gotten pretty creative, e.g. keeping their roosters inside the house, or giving away free eggs to neighbors if they have more chickens than the laws allow, to keep their chickens :).

Anything near Modoc County? Modoc Farm Supply is terrible. A lot of unhealthy and/or deformed chicks and mixed breeds. I'm looking for anything that might be within 300 miles of Alturas. I'm also open to anything that might be in southern Oregon or western Nevada as long as they carry purebred stock of decent quality.

EDIT: One breed I'm particularly interested in getting is Ayam Cemani, but so far it's looking like I'll have to order a pair from Greenfire Farm all the way in Florida since the only thing I've been able to find in California is someone selling the ones they've culled for having undesirable traits like white feathers and pink toes. :\

Last edited:
So sad...just lost my beautiful bantam Orpington hen, Paloma. She got into a rat trap that my husband thought was inaccessible. She was really sweet and friendly & my daughter used to bring her inside sometimes to eat the crumbs under the kitchen table. She was a great mom, also. R.I.P. Paloma.

PuffyPaloma.jpg

So sad...just lost my beautiful bantam Orpington hen, Paloma. She got into a rat trap that my husband thought was inaccessible. She was really sweet and friendly & my daughter used to bring her inside sometimes to eat the crumbs under the kitchen table. She was a great mom, also. R.I.P. Paloma.

View attachment 1067491
:hugs
She looks like she was a very sweet Hen

Sure, we have a lot of crowing here. They won need to crow. Pm me and tell me when you would like to bring her.

h2oratt and pilatik: Let me know how it goes! Happy that my hen may have a new friend from the Bay area! A picture or two would be awesome. I miss my hen at the back door every morning.
Hope she is behaving?!

View attachment 1067491

That's so sad, I'm sorry. She was so beautiful and sounds like she was a wonderful pet. I hope you and your daughter are okay. That must be really hard on you guys. Hugs!

In case anyone is looking for a rooster to add to their flock, two nice looking cockerels are looking for their own backyard flock to protect. Hatched April 18, from a Dominique rooster and the hen was likely a Jersey Giant for the darker rooster (she had several hens eggs that she hatched) and perhaps a dark Brahma for the lighter one. In Gilroy California. I can transport them at least an hour in most directions. Just looking for a good home for them.

Attachments

• LightRooster.jpg
    LightRooster.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Darkrooster.jpg
    Darkrooster.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 3
  • LightDarkRooster.jpg
    LightDarkRooster.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 3
Anyone interested in 2 Ancona chickens? They lay white eggs and are great layers. I'm in Danville about 10 min off of 680.

Attachments

• IMG_2418.JPG
    IMG_2418.JPG
    549.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom